Cash? Are kids safe on board?

Lionheartbella

hello! First time cruiser going to The Bahamas next week on the Carnival Ectasy and super excited. How much cash should I bring and do local shops accept american money and credit cards? Also I’ll be traveling with 3 teens ages 16-19. Are they safe to roam the ship and do activities alone? Are there lifeguards at the pool?

They are no safer than they are at home. Lots f sexual assault opportunities when you consider all the cabins and out of the way spaces. And passengers are more likely to be the perpetrators.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really? Wonder how my kids ever survived their many years of cruising with us!

Good parenting and expectations set up front.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was referring more to the "many cabins and passenger perpetrators on board". :rolleyes:

For the first timer OP, there are security cameras in every public place, hallway, outside area including views of balconies, along with visible security staff. At least that is how it has been on every cruise we've been on in more than 25 years - most of them with our children. The ship is not a dangerous place full of criminal passengers and the staterooms can only be opened by their occupants.

Clearly there can be issues and safety is certainly related to how your children will act - as I said in my first response. But there is no reason your teens can't be safe and participate in ship activities on their own.

Enjoy your cruise!

hello! First time cruiser going to The Bahamas next week on the Carnival Ectasy and super excited. How much cash should I bring and do local shops accept american money and credit cards? Also I’ll be traveling with 3 teens ages 16-19. Are they safe to roam the ship and do activities alone? Are there lifeguards at the pool?

If they aren't, then what will you do with them if they want to go to college, or get a job?

If you allow them out of the house at home without parents, then you can allow them out on board ship. And there are generally no lifeguards in the pools - if that's a problem for your late-teenagers, then don't cruise.

Youngest grandchild I ever took was 15 at the time. We agreed on three rules before booking.

If close enough to touch a railing, both feet on the deck.

Accompany no one to a cabin.

Bring no one to our cabin.

We made great use of post-it notes left for each other on the mirror.

Hope you have a great time.

Youngest grandchild I ever took was 15 at the time. We agreed on three rules before booking.

If close enough to touch a railing, both feet on the deck.

Accompany no one to a cabin.

Bring no one to our cabin.

We made great use of post-it notes left for each other on the mirror.

Hope you have a great time.

Good rules. Also, don't accept an open drink from another passenger...even one the same age. (my daughter's pediatrician went over that rule with her at her age 17 appt.)

Your kids under 18 should go to the teen center the first night as that's when shipboard friendships will be formed...and often the many of the teens (like my girl) didn't return except as a meeting place. But perhaps your teens will enjoy the organized activities.

Any of your kids 18 and over will probably not be allowed in the teen center. Some cruise directors will plan a meet and mingle for the 18-20 set. If that's the case, the info will be listed in the ship's newsletter. If not, your older kid can leave a message for the CD and ask if a meet and mingle can be set up.

No lifeguards.

Yes, but bring small bills on shore, nothing bigger than a $20

Biggest danger for 16-19 yrs are the other 16-19 yrs. Shipboard romances run hot and heavy. The experienced teen cruisers know the "parking" spots.

I can somewhat answer this as someone who has recently cruised with teens and also my spouse cruised with Carnival as a teen once. Cruise ships and ports are like anywhere else. A few limits do wonders. We told ours no entering anyone else's cabins without clearing with us first and everyone in our group - adults included - was expected to keep everyone updated where to find them. We had a dry erase board for leaving messages if unexpected changes came up. Sometimes an activity will be moved if there is a lot of participation, or will last a bit longer than anticipated so having a place to leave updates is really helpful with larger groups. No lifeguards at the pools. Have a great time! :)

not really

just google crimes at sea

As compared to "Google crimes not at sea"? How long a leash do you have on your kids at home? Also, just think that a perpetrator on land can get away a lot further and a lot faster than a perpetrator at sea.

DON

U don't have to take cash, most places will take credit or debit cards. If you do smaller bills.

I personally have not let my kids at that age wander ship alone. But that is your decision, at least they aren't grade school age like some. Do consider while crimes can happen anywhere, in international waters the investigation and prosecution isn't the same as say the US. Also consider that the ship will have a good ratio of people who are intoxicated which probably isn't the case with places you allow your teen alone at home.

The suggestion to Google cruise crimes, especially those in sexual nature is a good one.

I hope you have a safe, fantastic first cruise!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

I would definitely carry cash while not on the ship - small bills as others have suggested.

You may wish to have cash upon arrival at the ship for tipping luggage porters... (I would look through the carnival board and tipping recommendations... Always a hot topic on cruise Critic)

Enjoy!!

U don't have to take cash, most places will take credit or debit cards. If you do smaller bills.

I personally have not let my kids at that age wander ship alone. But that is your decision, at least they aren't grade school age like some. Do consider while crimes can happen anywhere, in international waters the investigation and prosecution isn't the same as say the US. Also consider that the ship will have a good ratio of people who are intoxicated which probably isn't the case with places you allow your teen alone at home.

The suggestion to Google cruise crimes, especially those in sexual nature is a good one.

I hope you have a safe, fantastic first cruise!

Wander alone? The oldest has probably been away at college for a couple of years, at 19 my oldest went to Greece for three weeks. My kids have been navigating cruise ships since age 11 or so, with rules. Heck, my 14 and 16 year olds take the bus or train into NYC for the day. I’d sure most 19 year old have dealt with tons of drunks, college parties tend to have a lot of them.

ETA, I’m guessing most 16 year olds have dealt with drunk people, my 16 year old is pretty anti alcohol (unlike ds19 and dd21), but tells plenty of stories about kids as young as 14 getting their stomachs pumped. Dd14 asked to go to a party recently, I asked her twin brother if he was going, he said no, there would be a lot of drinking going on (and therefore I didn’t let dd go).

We saw our kids at breakfast and dinner on our last cruise this year, they all made friends that they hung out with all week (dd21 and ds19 had the same friend group, the others had different groups).

Wander alone? The oldest has probably been away at college for a couple of years, at 19 my oldest went to Greece for three weeks. My kids have been navigating cruise ships since age 11 or so, with rules. Heck, my 14 and 16 year olds take the bus or train into NYC for the day. I’d sure most 19 year old have dealt with tons of drunks, college parties tend to have a lot of them.

ETA, I’m guessing most 16 year olds have dealt with drunk people, my 16 year old is pretty anti alcohol (unlike ds19 and dd21), but tells plenty of stories about kids as young as 14 getting their stomachs pumped. Dd14 asked to go to a party recently, I asked her twin brother if he was going, he said no, there would be a lot of drinking going on (and therefore I didn’t let dd go).

We saw our kids at breakfast and dinner on our last cruise this year, they all made friends that they hung out with all week (dd21 and ds19 had the same friend group, the others had different groups).

Think many graduate high school at 18. So 19 in College a couple of years probably isn't the norm. My daughter's in college. Although I know those frat parties can get crazy I don't think they're full of middle-aged people who have a lot more life experience like a cruise ship has. I tell my daughter even now when she goes to places that are full of people that are drinking or other influences to make sure to be smart, not to wander downtown area alone or even clubs or parties alone. Same type of principle here. Especially for woman, at any age, around many intoxicated people it's best to not be alone.

Of course there's 14 year olds getting their stomachs pumped, most the ones I know of in my children's school where the type of parents that let their 14 year olds run around till 2 a.m. with kids that were several years older than them. I guess if someone allows this type of thing at home then yeah why would I expect them to watch their kids on a cruise? Although that type of parent probably wouldn't ask the question are they safe on board?

I also think there's a huge difference in experience and maturity between 16 and 19. What you allow your young teen to do is your choice. But I wouldn't say it's wise.

The bottom line here is I wouldn't have the false pretense that's your teens are quote safe on board. They're probably just as safe as they would be anywhere else where you have many intoxicated people of all age groups confined to a relatively small area.

The kids tend to hang out with other teens...I would always have my kids "check in" with me periodically...IN PERSON, so I can SEE them...and have them tell me their plans, where they'll be, etc.... I think aimless "roaming" is trouble waiting to happen, but I have no problem with the kids doing their own legitimate "thing"! You will set ground rules...like not going to ANYONE'S cabin and not having others into YOUR cabin...not running, or roughhousing, or annoying others...being polite, etc...

All of the Caribbean route countries accept USD and credit cards.

As Cruisin’ Chick said, absolutely crucial that they not miss the first night at the teen centre or at the 18-20 mix and mingle if they wish to make friends. That’s when groups are formed and it’s hard to break in afterward.

My two are 18 and 20. Have been cruising since they were 6/8 and of course the rules for them changed as they got older. I agree with others that a bigger concern would be the possibility of getting a drink spiked by a fellow teen (and that can be prevented with simply being vigilant) rather than a pedophile lurking in the corners.

As long as they use the same common sense they do back home, they will have a fabulous time and you will have little to worry about. Of course, as with any new situation and new setting, always best to have some pre-conversations to lay down expectations, rules of behavior, etc. Have a wonderful time!

Think many graduate high school at 18. So 19 in College a couple of years probably isn't the norm. My daughter's in college. Although I know those frat parties can get crazy I don't think they're full of middle-aged people who have a lot more life experience like a cruise ship has. I tell my daughter even now when she goes to places that are full of people that are drinking or other influences to make sure to be smart, not to wander downtown area alone or even clubs or parties alone. Same type of principle here. Especially for woman, at any age, around many intoxicated people it's best to not be alone.

Of course there's 14 year olds getting their stomachs pumped, most the ones I know of in my children's school where the type of parents that let their 14 year olds run around till 2 a.m. with kids that were several years older than them. I guess if someone allows this type of thing at home then yeah why would I expect them to watch their kids on a cruise? Although that type of parent probably wouldn't ask the question are they safe on board?

I also think there's a huge difference in experience and maturity between 16 and 19. What you allow your young teen to do is your choice. But I wouldn't say it's wise.

The bottom line here is I wouldn't have the false pretense that's your teens are quote safe on board. They're probably just as safe as they would be anywhere else where you have many intoxicated people of all age groups confined to a relatively small area.

Ds19 is a sophomore, so 1 1/2, dd21 was born in July, so started college right after she turned 18. 16 year olds should have a good grasp of situational awareness, and a good “spidy sense.” A cruise is a good way to gain more independence, while still being a few minutes from mom and dad.