slashed prices

meow!

Since we are only ordinary cats, we are normally not Silversea material. However, we are curious about what "those lucky folks in front of the curtain" are getting, and would like to take a peep if possible. Now that we see those newly slashed prices, such as the seven days San Diego to San Diego on the Silver Shadow in December for only $1770 (and being within this continent, the airfare would be minimal, or we can use our airline points), we are thinking of giving it a try.

By the way, for those of you interested in broadening your experience to Oceania, for example, we have written a review on the Regatta in four parts in the Oceania column on this board. Just look for us authors "meow!", and we also welcome your comments. Our report is surely not as sophisticated as SteveBear's, for example, but may still provide you with some passtime reading when you are free. Thank you.

It is because of the Regatta (Oceania) that we are choosing Silversea. We went on the Christmas cruise this past year and though the food was terrific, the so-so service and being nickled and dimed and gratuitied for everything drove us nuts. What was worse was the Whiney passengers from South Florida that always complained, were never satisfied and always seemed to spoil a quiet dinner by being boisterous and loud with no concern for others. We're going on this years Silversea Christmas cruise with the hope that we find a clientele with some class-the reputation of the Whisper seems to speak for itself...

Hey meow, yes, those prices have caught our attention as well! I'm a member of a group that had planned to go on RSSC, but those 50% off sailings are really tempting. SS is offering a much lower single supplement with the Vista cabin than RSSC, and when you compare SS is actually much lower than RSSC for the same length of cruise. Of course, some of those require int'l travel to and from, but thats where FF miles come in handy. And, the SS all-inclusive experience is so wonderful, I think we may switch. If anyone wants those 50% off you had better jump on it because they won't be available long! icon_biggrin.gif

Glenda Madrid

I called Silversea and they told me that those cruises were still wide open. I will watch it closely. It may be one of those rare opportunities that we can take a peep at something usually out of our range for less than $2,000 total per person. Thank you all for your kind replies.

The following is just for numerical curiosity, and the numbers are obtained from the respective cruise line's own website:

November 13, 2004 Oceania Regatta Caribbean cruise, 14 days, PH minisuite (322 sq.ft., chosen here for comparison because it is the category most directly comparable with Silversea), all gratuities and drinks extra, but includes airfare from North America, $3999 per person (special sale).

November 8 (6 days voyage 3431) followed by November 14 (8 days voyage 3432) back to back to make the same 14 days in all, Silver Shadow verendah suite (345 sq.ft.), all gratuities and drinks included, but not airfare, $1898+2510=4408 per person (any back-to-back discount?)

Both cases include transitting the Panama Canal.

So when Silversea is giving 50% discount in the Caribbean, the pricing is getting close to Oceania! Any comments? Thank you.

P.S. It looks like voyage 3435 seven days San Diego to San Diego for $1773 on the Silver Shadow probably deserves serious considerations for "peeping across the curtain divide" to see what the lucky folks in front are getting!

While I am writing this, another question, I heard that on Silversea, you could ask for anything you wanted even when it was not on the menu. To take an extreme case, for example, can one ask for free sevruga caviar, coupled with foie gras, lobster tail and king crab legs, and special wines on the complimentary list (I heard there were twenty five reds and twenty five whites to choose from) every day?

[This message was edited by meow! on 05-07-04 at 12:13 PM.]

The wine list figures are correct. Special request meals on our last Silverwind cruise were no problem. For an item that takes extra "prep" like beef Wellington advance notice should be given. There are limits. I dont think they would cook a wlole prime rib, give you a slice, and throw the rest in the trash.

So what is really holding you back MEOW?

Is it the "step up" or "geniune leather pouches" or the "numerical curiosity" or the weather in southern california?, maybe it's all of the above.

It sounds the curtain may just be a little too heavy to take a peek.

We would likely book within the next couple of weeks. Since that itinerary seems to be still wide open, we have some time to play with, and we are watching it carefully.

To frockoff:

Thank you for reading all my previous postings so carefully and remembering them. It is nice to have such attention!

The weather will be cool between San Diego and the tip of Baja. Sometimes the crossing from Cabo to the mainland can be very rough, and other times, like a smooth lake. All in all December is a very nice month to do this cruise.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

We finally booked this voyage, because our agent told us that it was beginning to "fill up", and if we didn't book soon, we might lose the opportunity. Apparently, it was popular with passengers living in the California area. With the slashed price, and being on this continent, the overall cost (including air fare) of this voyage is probably the lowest with Silversea in the forseeable future!

meow! I am glad you are finally going to get to experience this line! It will be interesting to read your review, since I think you participate in these things like the rest of us.

Rustymerle, I'm interested in your comment "being nickled and dimed and gratuitied for everything drove us nuts." As we will be taking our first Oceania voyage in Jan, 2005, we are interested in the additional costs.

Thanks for sharing information.

For Oceania, the additional costs include all drinks, bottled water, $21 tips per couple per day automatically added to your shipboard account, additional tips you pay when you order room service, frequent pictures taken of you and posted on board which you feel obliged to buy, etc. Since we did not drink much, the two of us only chalked up some $550 for our two week cruise. Normally, the total should not top $50 per diem.

>>For Oceania, the additional costs include all drinks, bottled water,<<

I seem to recall reading (either on CC's Oceania forum or its Yahoo counterpart) that Oceania was going to start providing soft drinks and bottled water at no extra cost. In any case, most cruise lines charge for drinks, as do most hotels and resorts. Silversea doesn't, of course, but its fares are higher. One way or another, you're going to pay.

>>$21 tips per couple per day automatically added to your shipboard account,<<

Most people regard this as a convenience, but if you prefer, you can have the charges cancelled and tip in cash. (Unless, of course, you'd rather stiff the crew.)

>>additional tips you pay when you order room service,<<

Again, that's par for the course unless you buy an all-inclusive cruise.

>>frequent pictures taken of you and posted on board which you feel obliged to buy<<

Nonsense. They take your picture, they stick it in a rack, and you can buy it or not as you see fit. Nobody's pressuring or hustling you.

>>Since we did not drink much, the two of us only chalked up some $550 for our two week cruise. Normally, the total should not top $50 per diem.<<

I believe the industry average is about $30 a day per person for drinks. That sounds high to me, but then, I'm not much of a drinker either. If I were, a Silversea cruise would be seventh heaven. :-)

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

You are not forced to buy your own pictures, of course. However, some people feel uneasy to have their pictures posted on the boards day after day, and if you don't buy them till the end, they will be dumped. Some people feel uneasy to have their own pictures dumped. There is definitely no coercion, just potential individual feeling of moral obligation.

A similar situation would be with large portions of food served. Nobody forces you to eat, but then you feel bad leaving a large fraction of it. It is as if you don't appreciate their cooking, and then you waste the food, creating unnecessary pollution.

The average drinks tab may be $30 per diem (I read that somewhere), but then add on $10.50 per diem for tips, plus the pictures ($5 for a small one and $10 for a larger one), etc., you should normally still not top $50.

I am only stating the facts, and they in no way imply criticism of Oceania, or any other cruise line that has similar charges -- it is just a matter of pricing policy. Each merchant sets his own rates, and different customers choose different schemes. There is nothing right or wrong one way or another, and it is not necessary to justify or defend any system. They all have to and do stand on their own merits, so they all have their own group of customers, and many customers would like to try different systems at different times!

In any case, I was just directly replying to an explicit question asked immediately above my posting. Thank you.

Thanks to all who have provided information and perspectives in answer to my questions. I appreciate every point of view and I just wanted an idea of what to expect. Oceania is a relatively new line trying to position themselves at a premium level. It sounds like it might fit in above the Large Cruise lines but will have trouble competing with the smaller ship cruise companies such as Radisson, Silversea and perhaps Seabourn (never been on Seabourn). There's a lot of discounting going on right now. All information helps one determine the "true" cost of a cruise on certain itineraries.

>>Oceania is a relatively new line trying to position themselves at a premium level. It sounds like it might fit in above the Large Cruise lines but will have trouble competing with the smaller ship cruise companies such as Radisson, Silversea and perhaps Seabourn (never been on Seabourn).<<

Oceania isn't trying to compete with Silversea, Seabourn, or RSSC. For one thing, the accommodations aren't on the same level as the luxury lines, although the food certainly is (unless you demand caviar and foie gras on a regular basis). The comparisons I've heard have been to the early Celebrity and Royal Viking.

Having cruised on the SILVER WHISPER and Oceania's REGATTA, I'd say that Oceania gives Silversea a good run for its money in the food department, but Silversea offers far more luxurious accommodations and has a more relaxed, refined atmosphere (in part because of the all-inclusive fares, which eliminate chits and "upsell").

An example of what sets Silversea apart from non-luxury lines (aside from accommodations and price) is something that I saw at a wine-tasting on the SILVER WHISPER. A passenger wandered into the room late, after the Champagne had been poured for the first tasting. The sommelier unhesitatingly opened a new bottle of Champagne (without being asked) and served another glass. He probably wasted most of a bottle of Champagne what would cost $30 or $40 at retail, but that didn't matter: the important thing was to fill the customer's glass.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Our favorite cruise line is Silversea. However, my husband and I like to experience what others say might cruise lines that will give Silversea "competition." It had been 3 years since our last Silversea cruise and much has been said about "slipping" standards of service. Having just spent 23 days on board the Silver Whisper we are pleased to be able to say Silversea is still the best.

We will try Oceania. We have always appreciated the perspectives and advice (about Princess, Royal Caribbean, Radisson, Oceania and Silversea)given by contributors to the Cruise Critic Message Boards. As an overzealous planner...I like to know what to expect or not to expect. Knowing which cruise lines and ships that are able to provide our family with the experience it is looking forward has been the benefit we have received from these boards.

On Oceania, the Owner's Suites are very nice--they're similar to Silver Suites on the WHISPER, but with bigger balconies that wrap around the stern. (Some people might be bothered by the vibration of a stern suite; my wife and I weren't bothered at all.)

Oceania's Penthouse suites are probably the closest thing to a Veranda suite on the WHISPER, although the decor, layout, and furnishings aren't up to the WHISPER's standard. Standard balcony staterooms are quite comfortable if you don't mind a shower (no tub) in the rather small bathroom. And the cheaper outside cabins on the lower decks are nice, too, if you aren't prejudiced against portholes.

Whatever you choose, it's important to remember that Oceania is a "premium" rather than a "luxury" line. (I've heard it compared to the early Celebrity or Royal Viking.) People who are more into cruising than I am have said that it's a definite step up from the likes of HAL, but it doesn't pretend to be the equal of Silversea (especially in the "hardware" department).

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Just want to echo Durant. Having been on both, I can say with certainty that I will not be traveling on Oceania again. Its hard to go "down", when you've been really, really up! Our last SS cruise was 2 years ago on the Whisper in the Med in May. Very hard to beat - wonderful service.

Even though we were prepared for the costs for all the extras like water, and of course drinks, more than those things set SS apart. As Durant said, its the willingness to go the extra mile for you - the ability to remember your name and preferences - the service that makes you feel you are really a "guest". In our case, I was displeased that you have to purchase a Penthouse to have hot room service. And, on Oceania when they deliver it, it is plunked down on the miniscule table and the waiter departs - no presentation, and no room!

This is a relatively small thing, but it is the small things and the "tone" that sets SS apart. Also, as I have reported before on this board, the cost cutting on some sailings is MAJOR. I am paying less than $2,000 for a 7 day sailing in December, single occupancy. Thats another thing I like about SS. They don't charge as much as RSSC, for example, for a single occupancy cabin. Of course, everyone has their likes and dislikes, and "must haves." Don't forget, the much smaller size of SS ships compared to Oceania and RSSC also makes it a very different experience. icon_biggrin.gif

Glenda Madrid

I do not know how SS does the picture thing - but on Radisson they have a Photo Trash Barrel where you can put the photos that you are not intereted in. That way you don't see them come out day after day. It only took me about 2 weeks of a 3 week cruise to figure this out. But look around on the SS - I bet they have something similar - I certainly hope so - will be sailing on the Whisper in December & am really looking forward to trying this line.

87.jpg

Bye Bye

Archived