Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 27

We'll be heading out in our RV next week to spend some time at the lake so I wanted to post one more photo from this week.

It's been hot hot hot this week in the Midwest. This little squirrel found a nice cool rock in the shade and literally spread eagle. I don't think I've ever seen a squirrel do this before.

213m4nb.jpg

Precious!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to all the weekly photo threads - have had a crazy busy month so far, so actually didn't bother to download or sort through photos from 3 consecutive weekends until now! So first, digging back to July 4th and July 7th, here are some wildlife shots first in the wetlands, then from my backyard while sitting in my pool, which is where I end up after a day of shooting in the wetlands when it's 96 degrees, 80% humidity, and 108 heat-index!:

A pied-billed grebe parent on the left, trying to get away from the noisy begging chick on the right who wants food:

original.jpg

A basilisk lizard climbing up a pond apple tree to get a better look around the wetlands:

original.jpg

A black-bellied whistling duck flying past, showing off those beautiful colors:

original.jpg

Now from the swimming pool...first, a squirrel crawling up my palm tree to find a shady spot where he can watch me, to be ready when I put out the peanuts:

original.jpg

My cardinals have had their chicks again in the backyard (every year)...here, mom had picked up some sunflower seed and popped them open, and is now passing them to her chick:

original.jpg