Both people must get beverage package, even if it's non-alcoholic

spookyj

I just tried to get my Deluxe w/Voom package for myself. My husband doesn't drink more than one cocktail a day so he would have been using Seapass to pay as he goes, so I call up RCI and they said if I wanted the Deluxe package for myself, my husband would have to get a non-alcoholic passage (basic water & juice deal).

I would like the Deluxe package because I like a few cocktails on deck and wine at dinner. But I cannot get this any longer because we don't want to spring another $200+ for water. Without us both getting a beverage package, we'd both have to pay as we go.

My husband has the complimentary breakfast drinks, sips 1 cocktail in the afternoon, and has water with dinner. It is just not worth it to buy him that basic package (right?).

I am lost with what to do. Not using both packages to their advantage, it's like I'd be paying $500-$600 just for myself.

Has anyone else had this problem?

unfortunately that's the way it is currently. you used to be able to only have one person buy the package but that rule was changed( back) just a few months ago.

so yes for many people it is no longer advantageous to buy a package for the person who does drink. does he like to drink soda? mocktails? smoothies? specialty coffee? if he does, or feels like indulging( after all you are on vacation) in a fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast and a bottled water for dinner, it may work out to be worth it.

Our family just got off Harmony a couple of weeks ago. All of us pre-purchased the Royal Replenish package. After they got on board, our son and daughter upgraded each of their Royal Replenish packages to the Deluxe and their significant others in the same cabin did not have to upgrade. So, you may want to wait until you board to see if they will allow the one package.;)

Also, the 10-drink card for $79 (which can be shared) was offered on the 3rd day!!

Edited by SilkySal
add paragraph

Also, the 10-drink card for $79 (which can be shared) was offered on the 3rd day!!

With more people like OP skipping the packages, the card may be the way RCI pushes drinks so the cards may make more often and earlier appearances.

My daughter did the alcoholic packages on her honeymoon last year. They tried drinks they normally wouldn't just to get their money's worth...a couple weeks ago they did just the replenish package because she is pregnant. Her husband paid as he went bc he usually drinks beer which is cheaper. He didn't even come close to what he would have paid for the deluxe package, so he has learned to just pay as he goes in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sail another line. Unless the bottom line starts to suffer (which I doubt) nothing will change.

James, actually you are wrong.... The bottom line did suffer....there are tons of threads about self entitled people who shared their drink packages, smuggled liquor on, etc.... those are the ones that are responsible for the increases and changes. it makes perfect sense.

Our family just got off Harmony a couple of weeks ago. All of us pre-purchased the Royal Replenish package. After they got on board, our son and daughter upgraded each of their Royal Replenish packages to the Deluxe and their significant others in the same cabin did not have to upgrade. So, you may want to wait until you board to see if they will allow the one package.;)

New ruling takes effect January 1, 2018, so wouldn't have applied to your family. But, yes, you will be able to get a Deluxe package and a Replenish in the same stateroom.

I just tried to get my Deluxe w/Voom package for myself. My husband doesn't drink more than one cocktail a day so he would have been using Seapass to pay as he goes, so I call up RCI and they said if I wanted the Deluxe package for myself, my husband would have to get a non-alcoholic passage (basic water & juice deal).

I would like the Deluxe package because I like a few cocktails on deck and wine at dinner. But I cannot get this any longer because we don't want to spring another $200+ for water. Without us both getting a beverage package, we'd both have to pay as we go.

My husband has the complimentary breakfast drinks, sips 1 cocktail in the afternoon, and has water with dinner. It is just not worth it to buy him that basic package (right?).

I am lost with what to do. Not using both packages to their advantage, it's like I'd be paying $500-$600 just for myself.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Probably too much 'sharing' ruined it for the rest of the class. The $$ of the pour to sip ratio didn't equal out.

New ruling takes effect January 1, 2018, so wouldn't have applied to your family. But, yes, you will be able to get a Deluxe package and a Replenish in the same stateroom.

Not as of today for a 2017 cruise. They required we buy for each of us over 21 in the same room. So, we upped to the Deluxe Drink & Dinner package for $10 more per day each which includes the specialty restaurants (on the ship we are on) for lunch and/or dinner. Cost for two: $733.89 drive out with tax, title, & license.

But great tip on the waiting until onboard. They luuuuvvvv selling those drink packages and there is usually a line day one. Just don't give them all the details on the other package. Buy cheap, then upgrade.

My DH isn't allowed to drink because of medication he takes (blood thinners). I normally would buy the beverage package but NO WAY I'm paying for 2 just so I can have it. I'll just pay as I go. And probably still make out financially.

BTW, try Celebrity. They don't have this stupid rule. Sadly, we're booked on RCCL for a Christmas cruise. It will be our last . . . for a number of reasons including this one.

My DH isn't allowed to drink because of medication he takes (blood thinners). I normally would buy the beverage package but NO WAY I'm paying for 2 just so I can have it. I'll just pay as I go. And probably still make out financially.

BTW, try Celebrity. They don't have this stupid rule. Sadly, we're booked on RCCL for a Christmas cruise. It will be our last . . . for a number of reasons including this one.

Supposedly there is an exception to the rule for medical reasons. You may have to call to get the exception.

I called, and got a exception, rep didn't give me any issues. Didn't have to get a soda package either, for other guest. Just got the deluxe beverage, with Wi-Fi package.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

How come with all the technology they dont use room key with photo on front as well as name to monitor who has the plan?

I hate the idea of making a person get some kind of pkg just because another person has it.

As everyone tries out to outsmart RCI, they in turn work to out smart us. All a vicious cycle. If the had better technology it would solve these issues.

Thank you for all your replies. I am going to try one more time over the phone. I don't want to argue with representatives, but I will try asking a few times before giving up. If it doesn't work out, we'll just pay as we go. I'll eat my sugar calories instead of drink them.

How come with all the technology they dont use room key with photo on front as well as name to monitor who has the plan?

I hate the idea of making a person get some kind of pkg just because another person has it.

As everyone tries out to outsmart RCI, they in turn work to out smart us. All a vicious cycle. If the had better technology it would solve these issues.

That was already in place, but the issue is when the person with the package goes up to the bar, get a free drink, brings it back to the significant other, then goes and get another drink (either from a server or another bar).

I hate to ask a silly question such as this, but does the 'other person in the cabin must buy a beverage package' apply to the basic soda package as well? I ask this because my DH is a major soda fiend and consumes a lot of soda, but I actually don't enjoy soda really at all. I've never gotten a soda package before, generally I have the tap water or the 'flavoured' waters from the Windjammer etc. So, do we think this rule will apply to the soda package as well, or just the higher-up packages?

I called, and got a exception, rep didn't give me any issues. Didn't have to get a soda package either, for other guest. Just got the deluxe beverage, with Wi-Fi package.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

When is your cruise ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums