Review of a 6 day re-positioning cruise with MSC Armonia in the Mediterranean

MamaS

Split, Croatia

Split was another port where we docked closed to downtown. It was maybe a 10 minute walk along the water to reach the Old Town. Just as you reach the Old Town there is a big outdoor market, which was very nice. We spent a lot of time there. Coming from the port it is impossible to miss. It had different sections with clothing, fruits and vegetables, flowers, touristy things, etc. Prices were quite reasonable and at least the booths we visited accepted euro (even though the local currency is kuna).

25zs713jpg

25zs713.jpg

The Old Town itself was nice, but not as impressive as the ones in Corfu and Kotor. Split is much bigger though, and there are also things to see outside the Old Town. It was also possible to stroll along the water.

We saw commercial about a shopping center called Joker which, according to the commercial, was only 10 minutes walk from the Old Town. With the help of a GPS we gave it a try. The commercial was misleading though and it took us 20 minutes to get there, and we are pretty fast walkers. The shopping center was nice, modern and seemed to be new. Once again international brands were just slightly cheaper than in Western Europe, whereas local brands were quite a bit cheaper. I am not sure I would recommend going here, since it was very similar to shopping centers you can find in most countries.

k9gghf.jpg

Disembarkation inVenice

We are coming towards the end of the trip, and next up is disembarkation. MSC is the first cruise line we have been on where it is not possible to walk off the ship carrying your own luggage. They claimed that customs did not allow it. Everybody had to be out of their rooms by 8, so at that time it was crammed in the breakfast restaurants and food was even running out.

We were given grey luggage slips, which meant we were to meet in the main theatre at 10.20 in order to get off the ship. Things were running late though and it was 11.10 before we finally got off the ship. Most of this time was spent in the main theatre, waiting for information and instructions.

Once outside the ship there were the usual shuttle busses to take you to the cruise terminal. We decided to walk though and it was only 5-10 minutes to the exit. From there we walked to the train station. It took about 20 minutes and included several stairs. At the station it is possible to leave your luggage (for 6 euro per bag and hour) so you don´t need to bring them with you while seeing the city.

Overall,we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. The food was great, the ship comfortable and cozy, and it seldom seemed crowded. There were some areas which MSC could improve, like providing correct information on times in port from the beginning, and the level of service for breakfast and lunch. Of course the weather could also have been more cooperative, but that of course is nothing we can blame MSC for. ;)

I believe this was everything I planned to include in the review. Please feel free to ask questions if I missed something!

I want to thank you immesely for your review! You took some stunning shots and providing excellent detail in your information. I have never read a report of the MSC Armonia, so it was nice to compare the ship to the Divina. My Divina cruise got me hooked to MSC, so hopefully I am able to sail the Armonia someday. I am upset you missed your sunny day in Corfu, as even as an American, I have heard about the wonders of Corfu, but Without the fear of hurricanes like we have over here, Corfu is not going anywhere :) Thank you again!

Thank you for your review, I found it really informative. I am sailing on Armonia for the 1st time in a few weeks. We have 2 nights in Venice, well Mestre really, a 4 day sailing to Valetta and Barcelona where we stay for 2 nights for the Christmas markets before flying home. I have stayed before in both Venice and Mestre, but since an accident in February I cannot climb stairs easily and the hotels I like in Venice itself are out of bounds for me, no lifts, or really silly tiny ones. Really looking forward to trying Armonia.

I want to thank you immesely for your review! You took some stunning shots and providing excellent detail in your information. I have never read a report of the MSC Armonia, so it was nice to compare the ship to the Divina. My Divina cruise got me hooked to MSC, so hopefully I am able to sail the Armonia someday. I am upset you missed your sunny day in Corfu, as even as an American, I have heard about the wonders of Corfu, but Without the fear of hurricanes like we have over here, Corfu is not going anywhere :) Thank you again!

I am happy that you liked my review! And also happy to know that you find Divina a nice ship. I will have the opportunity to travel on her in January, in the Caribbean. I guess the ship is quite different from the Armonia though, due to the difference in size.

• 2 weeks later...