Akademik Ioffe

• 3 months later...

I know your post was 3 months ago, so this may be too late; but I was on the Ioffe back in 2008, but down to Falklands, S.Georgia and Antarctica. She's a lovely vessel and felt very safe in the Drake shake...

What info did you need?

While completing the final packing checklist, the day before departure,for our much anticipated Arctic cruise, I happened to check my email. Only to discover an email which had arrived a few min previously which cancelled our cruise!

Followed up with what I can only assume, the company felt was in their best intent to off:

"One Ocean has provided options to help with your situation.

Move with no additional cost to either the August 11 or August 12 departures on the Northwest Passage with a goodwill gesture of $500 USD credit per person. They will assist with reasonable flight change fees.

If a move to either departure is not possible, they will offer any Antarctic 15/16 or Arctic 2015 voyage with reasonable change fees.

It was impossible for us to move to the 12th departure due to a previously scheduled trip during that time. The airfare for the second part of our trip was tied to the cruise. When the cruise airfare cancelled so did the remainder of the trips airfare. I was able to come up with two other possibilities for immediate departures with other companies for Arctic cruises. To say OneOcean was less than helpful with making either of these work, is a vast understatement!

The difficulty arises with One Oceans firm (insert penny pinching ) idea of reasonable cost for reasonable flight fees and last minute changes- to say nothing of the additional cost for equipment the company strongly urges you to purchase.

The OneOcean cruise line most definitely has not to date demonstrated their commitment to customer satisfaction as they so boldly claim on their website.

• 3 months later...