Safe for passengers with life threatening allergies??

stournillon

They can only guarantee no cross contamination in the main dining room as there's a separate preparation area for those with allergies. They can't guarantee for from any other venue like the buffet as passengers can lead to the cross contamination.

Make sure your reservation is noted for the allergy and follow up with MSC both before the cruise and once aboard.

Here is our experience with MSC relative to food allergies (not life threatening).

When we sailed on Divina, we had our TA note my husband’s gluten allergy on the reservation and I think we also filled out a form online (not entirely sure on that though, I could be remembering incorrectly). I also called my TA a couple of different times to verify it was noted.

We were given a table to ourselves in the dining room (not sure if that was due to the allergy or not) and the head waiter would take my husband’s order and bring his food to him. I believe he said his food was prepared in a separate area from the other food. Our regular waiter would take care of the rest of the table.

They were very good about no cross contamination as my husband did not get sick all week. While his issue is not immediately life threatening, he does get very sick if he gets glutened and he was fine all week.

Someone called him a few days into the cruise to check to see how things were doing relative to his allergy.

At dinner in the specialty restaurant and at breakfast and lunch, we reminded them of the allergy each time but at regular dinners we had the same waitstaff each night so they were aware of it.

We have rebooked on the Seaside, hopefully we do not have any issues.

• 1 month later...
Here is our experience with MSC relative to food allergies (not life threatening).

When we sailed on Divina, we had our TA note my husband’s gluten allergy on the reservation and I think we also filled out a form online (not entirely sure on that though, I could be remembering incorrectly). I also called my TA a couple of different times to verify it was noted.

We were given a table to ourselves in the dining room (not sure if that was due to the allergy or not) and the head waiter would take my husband’s order and bring his food to him. I believe he said his food was prepared in a separate area from the other food. Our regular waiter would take care of the rest of the table.

They were very good about no cross contamination as my husband did not get sick all week. While his issue is not immediately life threatening, he does get very sick if he gets glutened and he was fine all week.

Someone called him a few days into the cruise to check to see how things were doing relative to his allergy.

At dinner in the specialty restaurant and at breakfast and lunch, we reminded them of the allergy each time but at regular dinners we had the same waitstaff each night so they were aware of it.

We have rebooked on the Seaside, hopefully we do not have any issues.

When is your Seaside cruise?

I think with any cruise line or hotel etc they do their best with preventing cross contamination however having worked in kitchens human error is always a factor , and even more so in buffets etc when the public have access Ive spoken to many passengers who have had allergies , issues etc and have been happy and healthy but if it life threatening then only you can decide if its worth the risk . Just to say I have also worked for many years in Childrens education with many children who have "life threatening allergies" Usually Nuts So Epi pens at the ready Thank fully its very rare to need these despite the fact we we were "nut free" so again nothing is guaranteed . You either live life with a risk or live life in a bubble

Traveling on Seaside with a child with life threatening nut allergies. How is the food safety on MSC? Is food clearly marked that there is no cross contamination?

During the kitchen portion of the behind the scenes tour they make a point of demonstrating the protocols in place to prevent contamination of allergy sensitive foods.

Traveling on Seaside with a child with life threatening nut allergies. How is the food safety on MSC? Is food clearly marked that there is no cross contamination?

Hi, so here's my opinion: Ultimately it is up to you to decide whether this is safe. Obviously, you'll skip the buffet and go to the MDR for your meals but even if it's clearly marked, can you be sure there is no contamination? Ask yourself "what if" - after all, you're stuck on a ship. There are a doctor and a nurse on board and they certainly will have an epi pen (or you likely will carry one, as well) - and they will be ACLS certified - but in case of emergency, to me, it would be kind of scary.

So, I'd probably make sure there is no possibility of contamination because any hospital to treat an anaphylactic reaction will be far away and difficult (as well as time consuming) to get to. Perhaps inquire with MSC what their protocol if for life-threatening emergencies - how are they handled, how fast can a person be transported to the nearest hospital, etc. I think it's encouraging to read about their precautions in the MDR. Just ... be safe!

Edited by windlicht

You are the experts on allergies, the question is, does a cruise ship pose a higher risk than school, work, going to a neighbour's, the park or camping. And if there is an increased risk, is it worth it to maintain as normal a lifestyle as possible for the person with the allergies. Ultimately only you can make that decision.

There is only one kitchen for dining rooms on 3 floors (5,6,8) and service is painfully slow. If your only options are eating in the non-buffet dining rooms, then you will likely spend 5-6 hours a day in the dining room between how long it would take to get breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Furthermore, Seaside’s swevic is such a disaster right now that I can see how a slip up might occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is only one kitchen for dining rooms on 3 floors (5,6,8) and service is painfully slow. If your only options are eating in the non-buffet dining rooms, then you will likely spend 5-6 hours a day in the dining room between how long it would take to get breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Furthermore, Seaside’s swevic is such a disaster right now that I can see how a slip up might occur.

"Slow" is totally subjective. 2 hours for a meal would be considered normal in any restaurant in Paris, Rome or Madrid. Further, if your whole party is on the allergy diet plan then in all probability you will get priority service anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

"Slow" is totally subjective. 2 hours for a meal would be considered normal in any restaurant in Paris, Rome or Madrid. Further, if your whole party is on the allergy diet plan then in all probability you will get priority service anyway.

My family certainly doesn't want two hour breakfasts and lunches!

We have taken a couple cruises with our peanut allergic son. Once when he was 3 and once when he was 7. In general I have found that most cruiselines are the same in regard to allergies. We noted it on our reservation but frankly no one knew anything about it. That was fine because it would not have changed anything. We met with the wait staff in the dining room and let them know. We met with the pastry chef in the buffet and he pretty much told us that none of the desserts would be safe. I figured they wouldn't. Just like being at home...We can't just grab a choc chip cookie or a handful of pretzels...due to process issues. No biggie. What he could have was ice cream in the dining room. They opened a new container and had a fresh scooper. Also, soft serve ice cream was ok. I packed all of his favorite candy so we had sweets for him.

The buffet we stuck to waffles, pancakes, pre-packaged yogurt, fruit, pizza, french fries, chicken nuggets. We did not give him any of the buffet foods that were full meals with multiple ingredients--stews, pastas with sauces etc.

We always had the Epipen. He had a great time and so did we. It is really no different than being at home if you bring things your child can eat for dessert..lol. Our priority is dessert as you can tell.

Oh and we never ate breakfast or lunch in the dining room. It is the same as at home. Will we eat a diner that has peanut butter chip pancakes..NO. Will we allow him to eat a waffle that is at a station that ladels out peanut butter sauce, whipped cream etc?...NO. Look at the buffet--is there a container of chopped peanuts at the same station..skip it. Easy!

We have taken a couple cruises with our peanut allergic son. Once when he was 3 and once when he was 7. In general I have found that most cruiselines are the same in regard to allergies. We noted it on our reservation but frankly no one knew anything about it. That was fine because it would not have changed anything. We met with the wait staff in the dining room and let them know. We met with the pastry chef in the buffet and he pretty much told us that none of the desserts would be safe. I figured they wouldn't. Just like being at home...We can't just grab a choc chip cookie or a handful of pretzels...due to process issues. No biggie. What he could have was ice cream in the dining room. They opened a new container and had a fresh scooper. Also, soft serve ice cream was ok. I packed all of his favorite candy so we had sweets for him.

The buffet we stuck to waffles, pancakes, pre-packaged yogurt, fruit, pizza, french fries, chicken nuggets. We did not give him any of the buffet foods that were full meals with multiple ingredients--stews, pastas with sauces etc.

We always had the Epipen. He had a great time and so did we. It is really no different than being at home if you bring things your child can eat for dessert..lol. Our priority is dessert as you can tell.

Dessert is also a priority for us.

On NCL we had many chefs make him special desserts. And we ate all our breakfasts on the MDR where the maitre d would come and help us order safely.

I want him safe. But i also want him to have fun. I love when it’s more than fruit and jello he is offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums