How hot onboard at sea in S America in Dec?

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:04 PM.
Kentucky
71 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
I would like to pack as little as possible, but I don't want to guess wrong. I would expect it to be cool out at sea even at the equator, but I see people talking about the importance of getting a shady spot at the pool. How should I pack?
North in summer/Texas winter, but a Texan forever!!!
6,849 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Well, we cruise in December and it is warm to hot at sea and in port. The only cool/cold we've noticed is arriving/departing from US ports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Western Pa.
23,258 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Are you cruising around the Horn, from Buenos Aires to Chile? If so, you're going to need to pack for every season. It will be very cold the farther south you go, but around the Equator, it will be HOT and very humid. Remember, they have seasons opposite of North America, so December is the start of their summer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Darcie
Colorado
7,831 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Where in South America? It is a rather large continent. If you are talking equatorial regions it will be quite warm (and humid) year round. If you are going to Cape Horn at the south end, it could be quite chilly.
101,354 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Please post your specific itinerary. This is because some areas will be hot, and others cold.

No different than the USA in December. Florida can be warm and Minnesota can be cold.

Keith
Kentucky
71 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by kitty allen
I would like to pack as little as possible, but I don't want to guess wrong. I would expect it to be cool out at sea even at the equator, but I see people talking about the importance of getting a shady spot at the pool. How should I pack?
What I really meant was at sea. We'll be as far south as Colombia, but my experience (great lakes and agean) is that it's not hot on a boat. Maybe I'm factoring in wind. I've never been on that big a boat that far south. But I gather from the replies that it really will be hot at sea
We live on a small lake in rural Nebr.
7,778 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
It will be (probably very) hot during the day, and cooler, of course, at night, but still comfortable; usually quite humid too.

If I was going to spend time out on deck at night while at sea in the S. Caribbean/Central America, I might need a light jacket or sweater, depending on the wind, but I get cold easily.

I also often need some kind of wrap inside because of air conditioning.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi