Where does Riviera Port/Anchor for Taormina?

su-arizona

We have a stop in Taormina in October, which is listed as an "Anchor" port. Where will the tenders leave us? Are taxis to Taormina readily available there, and what's the travel time?

The Oceania "Taormina on your Own" excursion seems pretty expensive (as usual...) and offers a fairly short time in town. We'd much prefer to take a cab if readily available and comparably (or lower) priced.

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you are lucky it will tender in at Naxos. It is a little drive up to Taormina and we usually take that tour and end up taking a taxi back. It is easier to get a taxi back than get one up there.

Do not miss Taormina. It is lovely and really fun to DIY.

If it is too rough they will provide a shuttle from Messina if they can get a dock there. It is 45 minutes each way but worth it.

Any time in Taormina is heaven on earth to me.

Be sure to have a cannoli in Taormina. Nothing compares. They make them fresh while you wait

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With all due respect, having had a cannoli in Taormina, they are good but do not compare to the one we had @ Maria's in Erice. Three years later and we still talk about how incredible they were. We lucked out, Trapani was substituted as a port on our cruise allowing us to visit both Taormina & Erice. I wish O would do a cruise focused solely on touring Sicily or in conjunction with some less traveled Greek islands.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last November, We ended up docking in Messina, seas were supposingly to rough in Toarmina, even though they appeared pretty calm all day.

Taormina is a great town and should not be missed.

A few years back we were anchored around Taormina, i don't exactly remember where. What I DO remember was sitting in the cabin, looking out over the balcony to see nothing but "sea" and the next minute nothing but sky and an abrupt stop due to hitting the anchor chain, rinse, repeat. The sea looked like it had just a little chop, that's all. It was spectacular. I had no desire to get off the ship and tender, and to this day I have no idea how they got everyone off and on.... did they just pick you up an fling you??

And I so agree about Taormina. We will be visiting this fall for a third time this fall, hope to visit the public gardens on this trip...

https://www.traveltaormina.com/en/monuments/public-gardens-taormina.html

Like Jeanine we'll be there in May and the port is Catania as she says. We were there this past November and the port was Messina. Given the various answers that have been given, it may be hard to anticipate.

We visited the gardens on our Taormina visit and enjoyed them very much. A very pleasant spot.

Mura

Thanks for the quick (and varied!) responses. Hearing from so many familiar and experienced posters made me smile! Sounds like I should take Caroldoll's advice - book the "On Your Own" tour and take a cab back to the tender port (wherever it may be...)

At least we'll get an early tender that way! :D