Deck chair incidents?

peanut123

This resource has a much different reason for the term "goat locker".

The Goat Locker

The “Goat Locker” is the traditional term for the senior enlisted mess aboard a ship. All sailors know and many fear the term, but few know how the goat locker came to be.

Following the establishment of the rank of Chief Petty Officer in the days of wooden sailing ships, goats were kept aboard due to their ability to consume nearly all kinds of refuse and provide milk was highly valued by the crew. Anybody that’s ever kept a goat knows they’ll eat nearly anything, which is highly valuable on a ship that has garbage that needs “recycling.”

When the rank of Chief Petty Officer was established, no ships had separate berthings for senior enlisted personnel. The newly-minted chiefs gladly accepted the same quarters as the ship’s goat, leading one to question exactly how bad the normal enlisted quarters were.

By tradition, all sailors and officers (including the commanding officer) are required to request permission before entering the chief’s mess, or Goat Locker. The tradition stands with rare exception even today, upon pain of extreme and scathing rebuke and embarrassment by the Command Master Chief, a creature who is typically not known for having a profound and inspiring patience for nonsense.

I can just imagine the story that would have circulated among the crew of the Navy vessels I served on about why the chiefs gladly accepted the same quarters as the ship's goat. This is certainly not the forum to tell that story.

The seat won't collapse, but occasionally you will encounter one with stretched webbing that pulls the back up when you sit down, disengaging the support mechanism and causing the back support to collapse when you lean back.

I can just imagine the story that would have circulated among the crew of the Navy vessels I served on about why the chiefs gladly accepted the same quarters as the ship's goat. This is certainly not the forum to tell that story.

I don't think I'd like to be the guy who told "that story" only to find out a Chief was standing behind me. My uncle retired after many years as THE Chief (had to capitalize THE with him ;p) and, while he had a great sense of humor, there was a time and place for it.

The only problem I have with those dang things....once I get in it....I can't get out of it.... if you are around when I do get out of it....PLEASE don't laugh...I have to grab the one arm, roll my legs onto the floor, on my knees, then take the arm to stand up....Its a SIGHT

The only problem I have with those dang things....once I get in it....I can't get out of it.... if you are around when I do get out of it....PLEASE don't laugh...I have to grab the one arm, roll my legs onto the floor, on my knees, then take the arm to stand up....Its a SIGHT

Agreed - I try to get a lounger by the rail to help pull up, and on our last cruise, I just had one of the deck attendants remove one of the loungers and bring me a regular chair that was easier to get in and out of - well worth a couple $$ tip:cool:

Agreed - I try to get a lounger by the rail to help pull up, and on our last cruise, I just had one of the deck attendants remove one of the loungers and bring me a regular chair that was easier to get in and out of - well worth a couple $$ tip:cool:

I have been putting on my surveys that it would be nice if there could be more deck "chairs" rather than loungers available other than under the overhang by the pools, the ones with the tables that are always taken up by board games, or people who want shade. A lot of people do have slight mobility issues, which do limit their sitting ability. We shouldn't have to find an attendant to ask for a chair, then tip him for it.

So why is there a problem with people "the ones with the tables that are always taken up by board games, or people who want shade." Is that not one of the reasons that there are tables and chairs in that area or is it supposedly just strictly for the pool users. Some keep posting things like this as if there are only certain activities allowed in this area or that. As long as someone is utilizing the tables and chairs there should be no problem. Do you think you should be able to have them removed because you think they should not be there. I am usually one of those people either sitting in the shade or we are sitting at a table doing permissible activities that do not involve getting into the pool.

Regal had most of the shady spots around them main pool outfitted with tables and chairs and even couches in the center. Some shady loungers at high noon might have been nice (there are other nooks and crannies, on 19 and in the grassy areas but families wanted to be near the pool).

Princess would be wise to follow the lead of doctors offices and buy some bariatric capable loungers and chairs. The chairs are basically love seats that can be used by skinnier people for that or for the larger or otherwise handicapped by one. A lounger maybe could be a cozy nook for a couple or a place for a larger person to lounge.

Gosh Princess moves those loungers and chairs a lot. Not sure why they can't keep any loungers out in the evening .. and my teen center son was looking for places to hang out and said they had put a lot of things away .. And at 6pm even in the Sanctuary which seemed like a nice outdoor bar for nighttime but only used once for a disco type event that was very poorly attended but seemed nice with a Miami Beach vibe.

So why is there a problem with people "the ones with the tables that are always taken up by board games, or people who want shade." Is that not one of the reasons that there are tables and chairs in that area or is it supposedly just strictly for the pool users. Some keep posting things like this as if there are only certain activities allowed in this area or that. As long as someone is utilizing the tables and chairs there should be no problem. Do you think you should be able to have them removed because you think they should not be there. I am usually one of those people either sitting in the shade or we are sitting at a table doing permissible activities that do not involve getting into the pool.

WOW, somebody didn't have their coffee yet? What I meant WAS the only available CHAIRS are around the tables at the sides of the POOLS, and there SHOULD be some available in other places on the upper decks, so if someone wants to SIT without getting into a lounger, they SHOULD be available..I can speak for the CB and the Crown, as the Regal/Royal do have the outdoor furniture in a few places......CHILL already

while cruising on princess, has anyone ever had an incident involving a deck chair suddenly folding up on them when attempting to sit down?
On the plastic deck chairs around the Lido deck, and metal/fabric balcony chairs this is not a possibility.

I don't recall the design of the wooden deck chairs on the Promenade deck of some ships, but don't recall it being an issue there, either.

Are you sure you are asking on the right board?

while cruising on princess, has anyone ever had

an incident involving a deck chair suddenly folding up

on them when attempting to sit down?

Makes me think of Tom & Jerry cartoons! Never had a lounger problem on any line. I'm not huge, but I'm also not light weight. I would think the cruise industry buys fairly "rugged" furniture overall. Think of all the use/abuse a piece of "any" furniture gets in a year's time on a cruise ship. Our household furniture should be this tough!

Seems a few posts have been deleted from this thread.

Probably some nasty remarks from some. If you get a nasty remark, just hit the little flag on the right side of the post & report it to the "mods" they will remove it quickly.

What's the expression? "Welcome to my world." The problem with the loungers in the Sanctuary, is the similar except all the movements/motions you described are actually from my partner pulling me off the lounger because they're so comfy, I just don't want to leave!

Darn it! I thought this was about the mayhem that ensued when a passenger spread out a whole suitcase full clothing to reserve two rows of loungers by the pool at 7:30 am for her party of 16 that may want to sun later in the day.

WOW, somebody didn't have their coffee yet? What I meant WAS the only available CHAIRS are around the tables at the sides of the POOLS, and there SHOULD be some available in other places on the upper decks, so if someone wants to SIT without getting into a lounger, they SHOULD be available..I can speak for the CB and the Crown, as the Regal/Royal do have the outdoor furniture in a few places......CHILL already

Not gonna happen.Say whet you mean then.