Anchorage —> Whittier Transportation

Taer al Saefer

Hey y’all

I am wondering if anyone can give any advice on the best way to get from Anchorage to Whittier. We are on the 06/09 SB sailing. The train is $86 pp, but it’s positive is that it arrives in Whittier at 12:05. The shuttle through ACT is only $38, but it doesn’t get to Whittier until around 5pm. My mom has her heart set on getting there right when the ship allows boarding, so she can enjoy the ship on the first day. We are flying in the night before so early departures from Anchorage are perfectly fine. Does anyone know of a more cost effective way to get from point A to point B that’s cheaper than the train?

Thanks all! Looking forward to this trip so much, I will just feel better once these logistics are worked out!

we stayed at the Captain Cook the night before our cruise in 2007 - Princess actually had to deliver a bag that didn't make our flight but was somehow on the next one in.

As I remember, there are plenty of stores/shops within easy walking distance of the Hotel to pick up any last minute items, which fortunately we didn't 'have' to do

took the Princess transfer bus to Whittier...

There are 3 ways to get to Whittier...train, Princess transfer or private tour bus. the tour buses usually go to the Wildlife Conservation Center as part of their transfer...The train is an excellent way to travel. It is an absolutely beautiful trip...good chance on seeing sheep up in the hills, and the train normally stops if they see them. It is not going any place but Whittier. Every time I have left from Whittier, if you are there early, you stand around (and I found very few seats to sit in) in a big tent. It is 1.5 hr drive from Anchorage....and the train drops you right off at the dock...and they take care of your luggage for you..Easy...

Thanks everyone! I’m going to call Princess rgd the cruisetour pickup on Monday to see if it’s doable. Looks like I can’t book it on the personalizer. In the meantime, ACT has a 9:30 pick up that includes a trip to the Wildlife Conservation Center for $56 that I like.

We're doing the ACT AFTERNOON extended tour and treating it like a port day. Don't mind arriving at the ship late afternoon. One issue for us is an arrival in Anchorage around 11:30p on Friday after many, many hours of flying from Chicago. Our plan is to try to sleep in on Saturday and recharge the batteries. A nice thing about the extended tour is that they'll pick us up right at our hotel and as you mention they also have a morning departure. I gather that the afternoon run begins after disembarking passengers are dropped in Anchorage giving that bus round trip action. Good luck with your decision.

We went to the Wildlife Conservation Center on a Princess transfer and loved it.

Being from Australia we had a wonderful time seeing the bear and other local rescue animals.

They are in very large enclosures and the snow covered mountains in the background make it a magical place.

Fantastic memories and photos from the day.

The Princess bus transfer would be in between the prices you quoted, and you could arrive at the cruise terminal as early as about 1:00 by going that route. You’d just need to get to the airport or Egan Center early to be first on the list to depart. I really recommend springing for the train, though. It’s a beautiful ride, more space around you, and you get there first!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums