Summit Butlers- Advice please!

LisaLeone

Hi there...this request was buried in a previous thread I posted and, as I am not able to edit, I thought I would just start a new one!

My mother, sister and I are taking an 11 day cruise this June on the Summit and are very fortunate to be in a suite (an SS.) This will be our second time both on this ship and in Suite class. Our first butler was very friendly but we didn't utilize his service very much, nor did he volunteer in which ways we could. We wouldn't have anyone unpack or pack and, as it is just the 3 of us, we don't need a party arranged. We are not demanding but do enjoy being pampered.

With that, and tapping into the wealth of knowledge on these boards, I would love to hear your insight, suggestions and experiences. Thank you in advance!

Just think what you want from him/her and ask!

Butlers on X are good but they are not mind readers...there is the risk that if you do not ask for a service it will not be provided....

Our needs tend to be fairly limited too but we want ice twice daily and a shrimp platter to enjoy late evening on the balcony. We will sometimes mid cruise swap this for a cheese platter...

Communication with your butler is important....some guests simply don’t want service, they see it as an intrusion so it can be hard for a butler anticipate what guests want....a good chat first/second day should sort out all issues!

Remember you can talk to the Michael’s Club Concierge if you have any problems/concerns.

Your butler will be the one serving you meals in your suite, if that is something you like. Although regular cabins can get room service, your butler will do it with a lot more flair. We particularly enjoy breakfast while we are getting ready, and the butler sets it up with a nice presentation. If you would like lunch or dinner, he (or she) will bring it in courses. You can only order from the main dining room, not Luminae, but it is a nice perk.

Unfortunately there really isn’t room to enjoy a meal in Sky Suites on the M- class ships. Our butler managed to get our breakfast for 2 onto the table but you couldn’t get to anything for fear of something falling off.

They feel obligated to do the tablecloth or placemats and set up everything on the table, the 2nd time we said firmly No,

Please but my breakfast on the desk/vanity so we had a bit of room.

In Sky suites on S class ships or higher end Suites with more space or a large table on the balcony dining in the Suite is a treat.

We do enjoy having our butler bring us juice in the morning as we are getting ready.

We wouldn't have anyone unpack or pack and, as it is just the 3 of us, we don't need a party arranged. We are not demanding but do enjoy being pampered.

Then you need to think before your cruise how you like to be pampered. One person's pampering is not another's. Collecting ideas from Cruise Critic members can be used as a catalyst for understanding what you would like but no more.

Few people request help packing or unpacking but you never know when you will meet people you gel with on a cruise and would like to share your suite with. It needn't be a party as such and your requirements may be simple. On one transatlantic cruise we made friends with two other couples and spent most afternoons together in our suite. Our butler provided little bowls of the sweets (candies) from the ice-cream bar which a few of us enjoyed.

My husband and I have different breakfast requirements and do not enjoy the breakfast experience that others love but I simply ask my butler to keep the suite stocked with the cereal, fruit and yogurt I want.

Then you need to think before your cruise how you like to be pampered. One person's pampering is not another's. Collecting ideas from Cruise Critic members can be used as a catalyst for understanding what you would like but no more.

Few people request help packing or unpacking but you never know when you will meet people you gel with on a cruise and would like to share your suite with. It needn't be a party as such and your requirements may be simple. On one transatlantic cruise we made friends with two other couples and spent most afternoons together in our suite. Our butler provided little bowls of the sweets (candies) from the ice-cream bar which a few of us enjoyed.

My husband and I have different breakfast requirements and do not enjoy the breakfast experience that others love but I simply ask my butler to keep the suite stocked with the cereal, fruit and yogurt I want.

Thank you, Sue. Collecting ideas is my purpose for posting! I enjoy hearing from the experiences of others and it is adding my excitement.

I have read on other threads about treats like chocolate covered strawberries and having wine or beer in the fridge (even for SS) and I was surprised that it was done. I realize that it is up to the butler's discretion but one of my reasons for this thread is to glean some of the WOW moments other cruisers have experienced.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! This is a great community.

Hi, I am currently on Connie in a SS. The Butler is very helpful as long as we let him know what we want. Example is I have difficulty walking and utilise a motorised scooter, our first port of call was Phuket in Thailand and we had to board a tender. They will not transfer passengers in scooters for health and safety reasons and I had resigned myself to remaining on board. In hope more than expectation I asked was it possible to borrow a collapsible wheelchair for the day ashore, et voila he brought one to our cabin 20 minutes later. We have had breakfast on the balcony most mornings and he brings it along and sets it up. My wife would never allow anybody else to unpack for her, but if you ask you should receive. Michaels club concierge will take care of any other requirements you may have, and Luminae just seems to get better and better. Although their menu is quite limited at times you can also order from the MDR menu or Blu and mix and match to ensure you have a lovely meal. Enjoy your cruise.

Hi, I am currently on Connie in a SS. The Butler is very helpful as long as we let him know what we want. Example is I have difficulty walking and utilise a motorised scooter, our first port of call was Phuket in Thailand and we had to board a tender. They will not transfer passengers in scooters for health and safety reasons and I had resigned myself to remaining on board. In hope more than expectation I asked was it possible to borrow a collapsible wheelchair for the day ashore, et voila he brought one to our cabin 20 minutes later. We have had breakfast on the balcony most mornings and he brings it along and sets it up. My wife would never allow anybody else to unpack for her, but if you ask you should receive. Michaels club concierge will take care of any other requirements you may have, and Luminae just seems to get better and better. Although their menu is quite limited at times you can also order from the MDR menu or Blu and mix and match to ensure you have a lovely meal. Enjoy your cruise.

Lesstax, how lovely that you were able to enjoy the port! I love hearing stories like this... your butler sounds like a gem.

It may be a case-by-case situation, but my SS butler told us first day that the refrigerator would be stocked with whatever we wanted. I was surprised, but enjoyed having decent beer and my wife's favorite soda, along with plenty of water, provided and restocked as needed. It was a nice touch we weren't expecting and truly appreciated. We did have the premium beverage package and he was aware of this.

He kept asking what more he could do for us. We're fairly low maintenance, but enjoyed CaB cookies delivered each afternoon.

We just got off the Equinox on Sunday. Every evening after dinner I would get a Bailey's and bring it back to the room to sip. After the second day, our butler, Allano, asked if I wanted him to bring me a Bailey's every night and have it waiting for me in the room (he noticed the empty Bailey's glasses). How handy! So every night there was a Bailey's waiting for me in the room.

He also scheduled an appointment for me to meet with a future cruise consultant (in Michael's Club).

The day before we disembarked he asked my husband (who has a wheelchair) if he could push him to Michael's Club in the morning. So at 8:00 am on the dot he rang our doorbell and pushed my husband to Michael's where we waited to disembark.

My husband loved having a Bailey's after dinner in the dining room. I would love for him to have that Bailey's in the room as once I am finished with dinner, I am ready to get out of the chair. :oWe will be in an SS in 3 weeks. I will suggest to DH that he ask the Butler for the same.

Luminae just seems to get better and better. Although their menu is quite limited at times you can also order from the MDR menu or Blu and mix and match to ensure you have a lovely meal. Enjoy your cruise.

If in a Suite, I knew that we could dine in Blu, if space allowed, but did not know that we could order from Blu. Are menu's handed out along with the MDR menu?

It may be a case-by-case situation, but my SS butler told us first day that the refrigerator would be stocked with whatever we wanted. I was surprised, but enjoyed having decent beer and my wife's favorite soda, along with plenty of water, provided and restocked as needed. It was a nice touch we weren't expecting and truly appreciated. We did have the premium beverage package and he was aware of this.

He kept asking what more he could do for us. We're fairly low maintenance, but enjoyed CaB cookies delivered each afternoon.

Were these beers included in the Premium Package or did you have to pay extra? I thought that anything from the mini bar or room service was not included in the drink package.

We have had with the exception of one, great butlers on the Summit, as well as other Celebrity ships.. They have helped us with reservations, any issue regarding a cabin problem, like a clogged drain or light bulb missing-etc. They will also help with arranging any in suite meal. If you want any special snacks, they will also arrange to have them in your suite daily. They facilitate your laundry and dry cleaning if you want it done. Never had them help pack-but we prefer to do that ourselves. If you want to host a cocktail party, they will also arrange for you.

We also love the Michael's club concierge who is very helpful with many of the same services. The suite life if great! Hard to sail in a regular cabin after enjoying the suite perks.

If in a Suite, I knew that we could dine in Blu, if space allowed, but did not know that we could order from Blu. Are menu's handed out along with the MDR menu?

Were these beers included in the Premium Package or did you have to pay extra? I thought that anything from the mini bar or room service was not included in the drink package.

I've never seen menus from Blu provided in Luminae.

Items from the mini bar are technically not included in your drink package. Your butler was going above and beyond and should be tipped accordingly. The mini bar or refrigerator is only stocked with your preferences free of charge in royal suites and the penthouse.

That's exactly what I thought, Linda.

When ordering room service for breakfast, should we tip the Butler after delivery (like we do in a standard stateroom) or wait until the end of the cruise to tip all at once? For that matter when should tipping occur for any service asked of your Butler?

If you want to host a cocktail party, they will also arrange for you.

I am assuming that this cost extra?

I've never seen menus from Blu provided in Luminae.

Items from the mini bar are technically not included in your drink package. Your butler was going above and beyond and should be tipped accordingly. The mini bar or refrigerator is only stocked with your preferences free of charge in royal suites and the penthouse.

Correct. Our butler went above and beyond and it was greatly appreciated. Yes, he was tipped generously.

On a recent Reflection cruise, our Butler emptied the items in the refrigerator and kept it stocked with all our favorites. We didn't even tell him our favorites, he just figured after a day or so by what empty bottles were left in the trash can. There was no extra charge for this - we had the Premium Beverage Package and a Sky Suite.

If in a Suite, I knew that we could dine in Blu, if space allowed, but did not know that we could order from Blu. Are menu's handed out along with the MDR menu

I recall that, last year, we were able to look at all three menus. We loved Luminae and I am so looking forward to it, once again!

We were on the Connie in a suite and had Blu, MDR and Luminae menus to select from. I believe this is possible on the M Class ships as all 3 kitchens are together. On the S class ships Blu's kitchen is not close to the Luminae & MDR kitchens so would require staff to leave Luminae go up to 5 to the Kitchen for for Blu and back.

I made that same exact comment to my husband during dinner tonight. ;)

On a recent Reflection cruise, our Butler emptied the items in the refrigerator and kept it stocked with all our favorites. We didn't even tell him our favorites, he just figured after a day or so by what empty bottles were left in the trash can. There was no extra charge for this - we had the Premium Beverage Package and a Sky Suite.

Correct. Our butler went above and beyond and it was greatly appreciated. Yes, he was tipped generously.

Thank you. Hope we have a good Butler. We never really use them for anything, but also don't recall being asked about stocking the fridge. On Oceania, I did have the Butler stock the fridge with Vitamin Water Zero - Lemon. But drinks like that were included in the price of the cruise. No package needed.

That's exactly what I thought, Linda.

When ordering room service for breakfast, should we tip the Butler after delivery (like we do in a standard stateroom) or wait until the end of the cruise to tip all at once? For that matter when should tipping occur for any service asked of your Butler?

I am assuming that this cost extra?

Tip your butler at the end of the cruise.

Have hosted cocktail parties in both royal suites and the penthouse. Also dinners. Never an extra charge. But you should definitely tip your butler extra at the end of the cruise for this.

My husband loved having a Bailey's after dinner in the dining room. I would love for him to have that Bailey's in the room as once I am finished with dinner, I am ready to get out of the chair. :oWe will be in an SS in 3 weeks. I will suggest to DH that he ask the Butler for the same.

Just ask for the menu from Blu and it will magically appear. I love lots of choice, so the infinite computations available from all 3 menus mean I can mix and match until my hearts content.

Unfortunately there really isn’t room to enjoy a meal in Sky Suites on the M- class ships. Our butler managed to get our breakfast for 2 onto the table but you couldn’t get to anything for fear of something falling off.

They feel obligated to do the tablecloth or placemats and set up everything on the table, the 2nd time we said firmly No,

Please but my breakfast on the desk/vanity so we had a bit of room.

In Sky suites on S class ships or higher end Suites with more space or a large table on the balcony dining in the Suite is a treat.

We do enjoy having our butler bring us juice in the morning as we are getting ready.

Our butler set up breakfast for us every morning in our Sky Suite on Millie. We only had coffee and fruit at about 6:30 in the morning. Then off to Luminae for a full breakfast. The table is not really big enough for dinner for 2.

Lesstax, how lovely that you were able to enjoy the port! I love hearing stories like this... your butler sounds like a gem.

Further update, having tossed my wedding ring onto the bedside table as I do every night, it bounced and went behind the table onto the floor. Next morning we pulled the table out and the ring was nowhere to be seen. We assumed it must have rolled under the bed. Last night I decided like a fool to lie on the floor and have a search for the ring, still nowhere to be seen. As an invalid lying face down is not a great idea. So after spending 20 minutes inching my way up to a standing position we resolved that we would get the cabin steward to pull the beds apart. Laughed at my foolishness with Joao the Michaels club steward, he got straight on the phone and literally 5 minutes later our butler arrived with my ring on a piece of paper, went down on one knee, how could I say no. Needless to say my wife saw the funny side thank god.

We just got off the Equinox on Sunday. Every evening after dinner I would get a Bailey's and bring it back to the room to sip. After the second day, our butler, Allano, asked if I wanted him to bring me a Bailey's every night and have it waiting for me in the room (he noticed the empty Bailey's glasses). How handy! So every night there was a Bailey's waiting for me in the room.

He also scheduled an appointment for me to meet with a future cruise consultant (in Michael's Club).

The day before we disembarked he asked my husband (who has a wheelchair) if he could push him to Michael's Club in the morning. So at 8:00 am on the dot he rang our doorbell and pushed my husband to Michael's where we waited to disembark.

Allano. He was our butler on the silhouette last year and yes he was Wonderful ,probably The best butler we ever had

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tip your butler at the end of the cruise.

Have hosted cocktail parties in both royal suites and the penthouse. Also dinners. Never an extra charge. But you should definitely tip your butler extra at the end of the cruise for this.

We do tip extra whether we use the Butler or not...as long as they are pleasant. (Had one on the Summit that was not. I even caught him looking through my papers.) We have also been tipping after room service but will wait until the end from now on.

Further update, having tossed my wedding ring onto the bedside table as I do every night, it bounced and went behind the table onto the floor. Next morning we pulled the table out and the ring was nowhere to be seen. We assumed it must have rolled under the bed. Last night I decided like a fool to lie on the floor and have a search for the ring, still nowhere to be seen. As an invalid lying face down is not a great idea. So after spending 20 minutes inching my way up to a standing position we resolved that we would get the cabin steward to pull the beds apart. Laughed at my foolishness with Joao the Michaels club steward, he got straight on the phone and literally 5 minutes later our butler arrived with my ring on a piece of paper, went down on one knee, how could I say no. Needless to say my wife saw the funny side thank god.

Funny story! :) For women, I found that if I put my watch band through my rings at night, they are easier to find the next morning. For women and men, I carry these collapsible trays to hold my DH's wallet, glasses, change, etc. He doesn't take his ring off. I use my tray for jewelry, glasses, and misc. items. https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=MLP457+NV&srccode=NXCMC6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=datafeed&source=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg5bt7arJ2gIVyRuBCh3NBg9EEAQYASABEgJro_D_BwE

Smaller for bedside table. https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Storage-Catchall-Sundries-Organizer/dp/B072VSWJX5/ref=sr_1_28_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524243980&sr=8-28-spons&keywords=collapsible+travel+tray&psc=1