Johnny Rip-offs

Just back fro April 8th sailing on the Allure... the ship was every bit as fabulous 4 yrs after our first cruise on it. Windjammer food exceeded our expectations at every meal, and Chops was delightful.

DH has some perverse need to visit Johnny Rockets on every cruise. I don't get it at all, but keep him company. I am delighted to say the most recent cruise has totally cured him of his JR obsession. The cover charge has blown up to $12.95 . Unfortunately, we had coupon for free lunch or that would have stopped us in our tracks. Also had a 2-for-1 milkshake coupon. Total out of pocket cost was just over $5. But I was ticked that we could have used the lunch coupon elsewhere and didn't.

Milkshakes were good. However the other food was just plain awful, and the "dining experience" was grating, to say the least. DH had the burger and fries, neither of which were tasty. I had what I thought was a BLT salad with crispy chicken. Ugh. Lots of yellow lettuce, mushy tomato and not a trace of bacon. Maybe I read the menu wrong, but couldn't even be bothered to check or complain. Onion rings - meh. We skipped dessert in order to escape, figuring we didn't need to ingest extra calories or spend a moment longer in the most annoying environment on board.

Part of the charm, in DH's opinion, has always been the 50's atmosphere. That disappeared in a hurry, when the music played the same opening two lines of "16 Candles" over and over and over and over.... We finally asked our waiter if the music track could be unstuck, and he told us we could do so from the jukebox control at our table. NOT the case, nor did it work from any other table.

So, while I will continue to find happiness in the fact I will never have to visit another Johnny Rockets at sea, I am disappointed for my husband, who really looked forward to those meals. I don't enjoy burger joints at the best of times, and to eat in one on a cruise ship just seems like dumb X 2, but this one was a game changer for us. YAY!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting...just off the Anthem last week and the price of items were ala carte. and reasonable. We used our bogo coupon for milkshakes and got a half and half order of french fries and onion rings. No cover charge.

JR on Quantum class has always been a la carte.

All other JRs are cover charge.

OP - I hope your husband can get his fix at breakfast on the Oasis class.

Not sure who will be going to JR at $13 per. Seems like all the specialty restaurants are getting pricey for single visits as they continue to push the multi day packages.

OP - I hope your husband can get his fix at breakfast on the Oasis class.

Not sure who will be going to JR at $13 per. Seems like all the specialty restaurants are getting pricey for single visits as they continue to push the multi day packages.

I think we have a winner!!!!

mac_tlc

The phrase "rip-off" .if they told you that you get a hamburger , fries, etc for the $12.95 and you agree, where is the rip off? If they told you all those things then gave you a bun with no hamburger, that is a rip off. If you are shocked by the price, the door opens both ways, walk away.

The phrase "rip-off" .if they told you that you get a hamburger , fries, etc for the $12.95 and you agree, where is the rip off? If they told you all those things then gave you a bun with no hamburger, that is a rip off. If you are shocked by the price, the door opens both ways, walk away.

OP did note that they used their free lunch coupon so it only cost them $5 for a milkshake. Implication was that they would not have gone in if they paid full price.

We used to love JW at sea. Our first time was in 2008 on the Explorer. It's a tradition we have continued on our family cruises throughout the years. Then, on Oasis last month....sigh... we realized how downhill it has become. No dancing or signing, no control over which songs play, and the staff acted like it was a chore to bring us anything. :o

Just back fro April 8th sailing on the Allure... the ship was every bit as fabulous 4 yrs after our first cruise on it. Windjammer food exceeded our expectations at every meal, and Chops was delightful.

DH has some perverse need to visit Johnny Rockets on every cruise. I don't get it at all, but keep him company. I am delighted to say the most recent cruise has totally cured him of his JR obsession. The cover charge has blown up to $12.95 . Unfortunately, we had coupon for free lunch or that would have stopped us in our tracks. Also had a 2-for-1 milkshake coupon. Total out of pocket cost was just over $5. But I was ticked that we could have used the lunch coupon elsewhere and didn't.

Milkshakes were good. However the other food was just plain awful, and the "dining experience" was grating, to say the least. DH had the burger and fries, neither of which were tasty. I had what I thought was a BLT salad with crispy chicken. Ugh. Lots of yellow lettuce, mushy tomato and not a trace of bacon. Maybe I read the menu wrong, but couldn't even be bothered to check or complain. Onion rings - meh. We skipped dessert in order to escape, figuring we didn't need to ingest extra calories or spend a moment longer in the most annoying environment on board.

Part of the charm, in DH's opinion, has always been the 50's atmosphere. That disappeared in a hurry, when the music played the same opening two lines of "16 Candles" over and over and over and over.... We finally asked our waiter if the music track could be unstuck, and he told us we could do so from the jukebox control at our table. NOT the case, nor did it work from any other table.

So, while I will continue to find happiness in the fact I will never have to visit another Johnny Rockets at sea, I am disappointed for my husband, who really looked forward to those meals. I don't enjoy burger joints at the best of times, and to eat in one on a cruise ship just seems like dumb X 2, but this one was a game changer for us. YAY!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're very lucky you didn't order the "Grilled Cheese" :loudcry::eek: