Falklands Shore Excursion

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:31 PM.
Houston, TX
56 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
We have a stop at Stanley in the Falklands in January for the day. Is the all day trip to Volunteer Point worth it? Any alternate suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
763 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Is it part of an expedition or a cruise ship stop ?

The museum is very good and worthy of several hours of your time. Gypsy Cove has penguins and birds.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Antarctica
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Other regions: too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean), Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean),
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

San Diego, CA
213 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
kbwinn, My husband & I were on the Seabourn Quest's Antarctica cruise in January and did the Volunteer Point excursion in the Falklands. It was so much fun and incredibly memorable! The King penguins were magnificent, and the getting there by 4x4 was quite the adventure. I have a blog post on our day there with photos & info on our excursion, which you might find helpful.
http://www.themodernpostcard.com/the...lunteer-point/

Best of luck with your plans!
Mary
Travel Blog: www.themodernpostcard.com
Palm City, Fl
4,759 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Yes, the all day to Volunteer Point is well worth it. Our driver took us on a little tour of Stanley on our return, it took about 10 minutes.

May I suggest Estancia Excursions. Excellent service and never a problem complying with the ship's sailing schedule. About 1/2 the price of the ship.

While the King penguins are a big part of Volunteer Point there are also nice groups of Gentoo and Magellanic penguins there. Our trip was in December, as the chicks were hatching for the Gentoos and Magellanics.

Disclaimer: I am male, so shopping was not a considered in my opinion.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Ruby Princess 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2016 (Journey-E. Caribbean)
HAL Zaandam 2016 (BA to Santiago)

Crown Princess 2018 (Western Caribbean)
HAL Zuiderdam 2018 (Partial Canal)
Somerset - UK
1,052 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by maryogreen
kbwinn, My husband & I were on the Seabourn Quest's Antarctica cruise in January and did the Volunteer Point excursion in the Falklands. It was so much fun and incredibly memorable! The King penguins were magnificent, and the getting there by 4x4 was quite the adventure. I have a blog post on our day there with photos & info on our excursion, which you might find helpful.

Mary
Thanks for sharing the link to your blog. We are there in January 2018 and fingers crossed that the weather allows us to get an experience like yours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marple, UK
22 Posts
Joined May 2013
Hello. My wife and I are taking a Seabourn Cruise of 42 days in length next year to Antarctica. We are seasoned cruise people (QM2, etc) but are a trifle shocked by the prices of the Onshore Excursions being offered. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks.
UK
1,617 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by What's Up Doc?
Hello. My wife and I are taking a Seabourn Cruise of 42 days in length next year to Antarctica. We are seasoned cruise people (QM2, etc) but are a trifle shocked by the prices of the Onshore Excursions being offered. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks.
Landings in Antarctica are usually included in the cost of the trip...

However, can you be more specific about the excursions? If they're not solely in the Falklands it might be best to start your own thread rather than tag onto this one.
Marple, UK
22 Posts
Joined May 2013

Mary
Hello. My wife and I are due to cruise from Valparaiso to Manaus next February (2018).
We are seasoned cruisers (QM2, etc) and are keen to visit the ports of call and the surrounding sites.
We cannot understand why some of these events are priced as they are.
For example: Trekking in Ushuaia
Departs: 3:30 PM Approximately 4 HoursPrice $114.00
We think $114 for a stroll in the area is a trifle pricey. What is it that costs so much?
There are many other shore cruises that seem to be quite high. We have been to India, Sri Lanka, etc and have found the trips quite reasonable.
All comments gracefully received.
Thanks.
Glyn and Lis
UK
1,617 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
As I suggested earlier, you will get a better response if you start a new thread with a suitable title. This thread is about 'Falklands Shore Excursions' and so you are unlikely to reach many who have the width of experiences you wish to draw on.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
692 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by What's Up Doc?
Hello. My wife and I are due to cruise from Valparaiso to Manaus next February (2018).
We are seasoned cruisers (QM2, etc) and are keen to visit the ports of call and the surrounding sites.
We cannot understand why some of these events are priced as they are.
For example: Trekking in Ushuaia
Departs: 3:30 PM Approximately 4 HoursPrice $114.00
We think $114 for a stroll in the area is a trifle pricey. What is it that costs so much?
There are many other shore cruises that seem to be quite high. We have been to India, Sri Lanka, etc and have found the trips quite reasonable.
All comments gracefully received.
Thanks.
Glyn and Lis
The price of $114 pp for a 4 hour tour offered by Seabourn is in line with this cruise line's pricing. Their tours generally are priced between $79 pp for a short (3-4 hour) casual driving tour of a port's highlight, to several hundred dollars pp for a 6-8 tour in a port. From the title, I'm guessing it's guided hiking in the national park or forest in Ushuaia, which is not in the Falklands by the way, for 4 hours with transfers, so $114 would be reasonable for Seabourn.
If you were just taking an Antarctic cruise, then most to all of your tours would be included in your total price, but your cruise is a longer sailing that includes Antarctica in the itinerary, so you'll have port excursions offered along the way.
Why don't you arrange some private tours separate from the ship in the non-Antarctic ports, such as Ushuaia? If you need help filling them, you may do well to post them on your Roll Call for your sailing to interest fellow cruisers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Diamond Princess, Southeast Asia & Japan, Jan., 2020; Norwegian Dawn, Southern Caribbean, Feb., 2019; Ponant LeSoleal, Beyond The Polar Circle, Antarctica, Falklands, S Georgia, Jan., 2018; Viking Tialfi, Rhine Getaway, Nov., 2017; Norwegian Spirit, Western Mediterranean, Nov., 2017; Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas, 11 day Baltic, Aug., 2017; Norwegian Epic, Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands, March, 2016; Viking Pride, Paris & Heart of Normandy, Sept., 2015; Semiramis II, Nile River Egypt, May, 2015; Oceania Riviera, Turkey & Greek Isles, Oct., 2014; Celebrity Summit, S. Caribbean, Jan., 2014; Carnival Elation, W. Caribbean, Jan., 2012; Carnival Pride, E. Caribbean, Aug., 2010; Golden Princess, Alaska Inside Passage, May, 2010; Carnival Fantasy, W. Caribbean, July, 2009; Uniworld River Countess, Germany & Austria Christmas Markets, Dec., 2007; Holland America Statendam, Australia & New Zealand, Oct., 2006; Norwegian Dream, W. Caribbean, Dec., 2005; RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, W.Caribbean, Oct., 2003; Imagine French Barge, Burgundy Region, May, 2003; De Tijdgeest Dutch Barge, Netherlands & Belgium, May, 2002; Renaissance R3, Tahitian Islands, March, 2001; Dawn Princess, S. Caribbean, Nov., 1999; Star Princess, S. Caribbean, Nov., 1994; And lots of land based adventures to more than 75 countries on all 7 continents! Happy to answer any questions or share photos, home(at)terryandmike(dot)com.
Marple, UK
22 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by terry&mike
The price of $114 pp for a 4 hour tour offered by Seabourn is in line with this cruise line's pricing. Their tours generally are priced between $79 pp for a short (3-4 hour) casual driving tour of a port's highlight, to several hundred dollars pp for a 6-8 tour in a port. From the title, I'm guessing it's guided hiking in the national park or forest in Ushuaia, which is not in the Falklands by the way, for 4 hours with transfers, so $114 would be reasonable for Seabourn.
If you were just taking an Antarctic cruise, then most to all of your tours would be included in your total price, but your cruise is a longer sailing that includes Antarctica in the itinerary, so you'll have port excursions offered along the way.
Why don't you arrange some private tours separate from the ship in the non-Antarctic ports, such as Ushuaia? If you need help filling them, you may do well to post them on your Roll Call for your sailing to interest fellow cruisers.
Thank you for the information. Will explore your ideas.
Florida
2,773 Posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mary

Great information - thanks for taking the time to write a detailed blog and sharing with us!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wayfairers
12/06 RC Navigator of the Seas - 7d Eastern Caribbean
01/08 HAL Ryndam - 30d Hawaii/South Pacific
03/08 Carnival Spirit - 7d Mexican Riviera
06/08 Princess Sapphire - 10d Alaska
01/09 Celebrity Galaxy - 10d Southern Caribbbean
10/11 HAL Maasdam - 45d Atlantic Adventurer (RT FLL to Europe)
05/14 Carnival Legend - 7d Western Caribbean
06/14 Carnival Conquest - 7d Eastern Caribbean
07/15 HAL Veendam - 1st 18d of Voyage of the Vikings (Boston-Amsterdam)
10/15 Norwegian Spirit - 28d Transatlantic (Venice-Orlando)
01/16 HAL Rotterdam - 89d Passage to the Far East

Looking forward to.....
01/19 HAL Prinsendam- 80d Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage
PA
948 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by digitl
Bluff Cove Lagoon is excellent and leaves you more time in Stanley than would Volunteer Point.
We went to Bluff Cove also back in February with Celebrity. Loved it! Highly recommended. They run a very well-organized excursion. The gentoos were awesome!
Paradise, USA
817 Posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mary
I'd appreciate any information that can be shared about how difficult the 4x4 journey is for those with "sensitive" backs. Thank you.
San Diego, CA
213 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by notjaded
I'd appreciate any information that can be shared about how difficult the 4x4 journey is for those with "sensitive" backs. Thank you.
notjaded, That's a tough question. I can tell you that my husband and I also have sensitive backs and had no problem. The ride over the bogs is bumpy, but quite slow. No one in our caravan mentioned any problems, but I imagine that people with serious back issues would not have considered the journey. I have a short video in my blog post which will give you a little insight to what the ride is like:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/th...lunteer-point/

Good luck with your decision! I can tell you for sure that Volunteer Point was a wonderful, memorable experience and one of the many highlights of our Antarctica cruise
~Mary
Paradise, USA
817 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
notjaded, That's a tough question. I can tell you that my husband and I also have sensitive backs and had no problem. The ride over the bogs is bumpy, but quite slow. No one in our caravan mentioned any problems, but I imagine that people with serious back issues would not have considered the journey. I have a short video in my blog post which will give you a little insight to what the ride is like:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/th...lunteer-point/

Good luck with your decision! I can tell you for sure that Volunteer Point was a wonderful, memorable experience and one of the many highlights of our Antarctica cruise
~Mary
Hi Mary,

Many thanks for your feedback and blog video. I'll show that to my wife, who is the one with the sensitive back.