Where to buy a Cunard House Flag (rampant Lion)?

Crouton

Crouton,

You may want to check the ocean liner shop on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. They sometimes get those.

I have one that once flew over the QE2 and what a keepsake. I am bringing it down to NY City to wave as the QM2 and QE2 depart on April 25th.

Hope you find one.

Ed

QE2 - 12/98, 09/00, 09/01, 06/03

Explorer of the Seas - 01/02

Grand Princess - 12/02

Majesty of the Seas - 01/04

Next up:

Queen Mary 2 - 11/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cunarder:

I have one that once flew over the QE2 and what a keepsake. I am bringing it down to NY City to wave as the QM2 and QE2 depart on April 25th.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed,

What a truly lovely souvenir. I'd love to know the story behind your getting it.

If I find my own flag, I'll do my best to spot you and wave it back from QM2: I'll be departing on the 25th!

Thanks for the excellent tip on the Queen Mary Long Beach shops. I'm off to give them a try.

Tony

Tony,

I wish I was on board with you. That sailing was one we considered but I got outvoted. We are taking my niece on the QM2 for her college graduation gift. My wife and niece wanted the 10 day NY Caribbean in November (6th).

As for the story, I saw someone selling a house flag that supposedly flew over the original Queen Mary. I called an expert in the New England area and asked for his opinion. He talked with me awhile and then gave me the name of the owner of the shop on the Queen Mary and also suggested I talk to the historian on the Queen Mary. I finally determined that the flag was probably not genuine. While I was talking with the shop owner, he said that an ex-sailor on the QE2 had just sold the flag to him. He had the paperwork to back it up (which I now have) so I bought it. That's why you may want to contact him. He may know someone else who may want to sell theirs.

In the meantime, I plan on contacting Cunard to see if they will fly my flag for a short period on the QM2. That would mean that my house flag would have been on the Queen Mary, QE2, and the Queen Mary 2. Here's hoping they consent. If not, at least I will take it on board so I can still say it has been on 3 of the Queens.

Ed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cunarder:

...In the meantime, I plan on contacting Cunard to see if they will fly my flag for a short period on the QM2. That would mean that my house flag would have been on the Queen Mary, QE2, and the Queen Mary 2. Here's hoping they consent. If not, at least I will take it on board so I can still say it has been on 3 of the Queens.

Ed<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You go, Ed! What a great story... one that you're obviously still writing.

Was the name the Queen Mary store you bought from "Past Times" or another one?

Also, I just want to be sure you're aware of the Circle Cruise tour in NY Harbor to bid farewell to the Queens on Sunday April 25. There's information on it in the thread "Busy Queens" for example.

If you feel like it down the road, I hope you will post the adventure of getting Cunard to fly your flag on QM2.

Tony

Incidentally has anyone noticed that Cunard has changed their houseflag? The flag now has the full Cunard "logo"; that is, the crest off an Officer's cap with the leaves and crown. Apparently when Carnival bought Cunard the corporate image gurus decreed that this logo had to replace the traditional rampant lion on EVERYTHING, and so the houseflag that had been used since 1840 was amended. Unfortunate and it still looks quite "wrong" to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Host Doug:

Incidentally has anyone noticed that Cunard has changed their houseflag? The flag now has the full Cunard "logo"; that is, the crest off an Officer's cap with the leaves and crown. Apparently when Carnival bought Cunard the corporate image gurus decreed that this logo had to replace the traditional rampant lion on EVERYTHING, and so the houseflag that had been used since 1840 was amended. Unfortunate and it still looks quite "wrong" to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Doug...

any chance you could post a 'before' and 'after' pic of the flags? I don't quite understand what you mean.

Thanks!

Craig

Tony,

The store was the Past Times. I wish I could remember the name of the owner. He was quite knowledgable.

I will check about the Circle Cruise Tour. I will also have to check with the others though. We are bring my niece (who will be with us on QM2), my sister and her husband.

I wish I could make the 22nd but I started a new job at the end of December and we are moving into our new house tomorrow. What a couple weeks coming up.

We were thinking about going to Battery Park but you never know. If you see a short guy with a house flag though, come say hi.

Ed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CASHIPman:

any chance you could post a 'before' and 'after' pic of the flags? I don't quite understand what you mean.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reading my post, I'm not sure if I hadn't written it, I would understand what I mean. I'm awful at describing these kinds of things! Much better to just do it with a photo.

Unfortunately I haven't got a photo of the new houseflag handy - has anyone got a recent photo of a Cunarder's mast or something that could be used as an "after" shot?

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

I think he may mean this one, with the leafy thingamajiggies and crown:

logo.jpg

And here it is in its fully pumped up, marketing-armored, logotomized, trademarked, typeface-correct, client approved, focus group vetted, Carnivalized, street-legal regalia:

logo-cunard.gif

[This message was edited by Crouton on 04-07-04 at 03:13 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crouton:

I think he may mean this one, with the leafy thingamajiggies and crown<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that one... The current, officially approved Cunard logo.

The new Cunard houseflag is that logo, on a red background, as opposed to just the lion (no leaves and crown).

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Archived