[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:18 PM.
North Texas
3,654 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by salty dingo
You would have to stay hammered the entire cruise to have a chance of coming out ahead on the $840 it will cost. Don't get the package.
That's $120/day.

There's high end scotches, brandies and the like that would eat that up pretty quickly.
San Antonio TX
1,175 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Sorry, in my comments above, I forget that OP's wife does not drink. That does make it a different calculation. However, surely she does drink something. If she loves coffee, soda, milkshakes, energy drinks, bottled water etc then this combined with the husband's alcohol consumption might make it worthwhile. But I think for most couples, if one of them does not drink any alcohol at all, then it probably would not make much sense to buy Cheers.

But again, this is very individual and before buying the package, any cruiser should really think about their drinking patterns and the cost of drinks. What works for one person/couple may not work for another.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Millennium June 2017-- 7 day Alaska review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2524587
Paul Gauguin July 2016-- 11 day French Polynesia review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2394603
Carnival Triumph Jan. 2013 -- 4 day Western Caribbean review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1773312
Carnival Breeze June 2012-- 12 day Mediterranean review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683745
Carnival Ecstasy January 2011 -- 4 day Western Caribbean

Illinois
920 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by Joebucks
If your wife does not drink at all, do not get the package. Don't let anyone tell you that you might make it up in coffees, juices, bottled waters, etc. That is $840 you will not get your money's worth on. I tend to believe that even if both people drink, most still aren't getting $840 worth of drinks.

From here, I would balance out the two other options: pay by the drink or pre-purchase a bottle. If you are likely to purchase a large variety of cocktails, and other drinks, I would pay as you go. If you are someone who will stick mainly to one type of drink, aka jack and coke, I'd buy the bottle, and bring some sodas. Maybe even a mixture of both. I generally love to drink, and though the plan would be a good idea for me. It is a chore to drink that much, for that long.
You have to remember that the break even point for the buyer is 5 to 6 drinks depending on the quality of alcohol you order in your drinks. Might as well order top shelf all the time even though the mixes make it almost impossible to tell the alcohol quality. You can get creative and drink all of you drinks neat and stick with the high end tequilas, scotches, whiskeys and the highest cost wines by the glass. Remember, drinks included can go up to $50 per drink.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Just call me "Monitor Fodder"
Sandusky Oh
3,804 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by SNJCruisers
Understand that your DW does not drink, so Cheers would obviously not be beneficial to you, but your Cheers doesn't add up unless you stay on board does in fact add up. Obviously you're concerned about not getting your monies worth on port days. You're back on board by 500 and if you go to bed at midnight, that is 7 hours to get your monies worth. 5 drinks in the Alchemy Bar will do it.....or how about 4 beers and 4 shots....both easily doable over a 7 hour period. I understand your point of view about Cheers not working for you because your wife does not drink, but your don't buy it because of port days doesn't hold water with you just like it doesn't hold water with many others who bring up the same theory.

I am always amazed at the people who argue you are in Port xxx amount of days. Most cruises pax are back on board by 3:30-4:30 with Curaçao being the exception.

Which means exactly like you said , pax are still onboard 7-8 hours daily.

They do realize you can have Bailey's and Coffee or Bloody Mary or Mimosa or Scewdriver for breakfast.

Just back from Vista and Cheers more than paid for itself for DW and I.

DW loved the Tiramisu Martini's at Atrium Bar, and they made a very very good dirty ��.

Everyone's system reacts differently to alcohol and the individual and only the individual knows that answer. It's crazy one must ask it's worth.

However people do have a tendency to over analyze things.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SS Emerald Seas - 1978
Fascination - 2002
Triumph - 2005
Freedom - 2009
Victory 2012
Destiny - 2012
EPIC 2015
Vista 2018
Bliss 2019

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]

OH
525 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by SNJCruisers
That statement is an oxymoron. If you do generally love to drink, then you should have zero problems drinking 5 drinks per day for 7 straight days from the Alchemy Bar, which would put you ahead of the game with Cheers.
I just can't do it. Last night I went out, had a bunch of drinks, and had a good time. I don't want any today. Throughout the rest of the week, I will maybe have about 4 drinks, then a bunch on the weekend again. I do love alchemy, but I can't just keep forcibly sucking down their drinks. All of the sugar and alcohol makes me feel like crap and gain weight.

Originally posted by Retired_to_Cruise
You have to remember that the break even point for the buyer is 5 to 6 drinks depending on the quality of alcohol you order in your drinks. Might as well order top shelf all the time even though the mixes make it almost impossible to tell the alcohol quality. You can get creative and drink all of you drinks neat and stick with the high end tequilas, scotches, whiskeys and the highest cost wines by the glass. Remember, drinks included can go up to $50 per drink.

The break even point is over-discussed. From a math perspective, sure you can break even with some high-end drinks. However, from a different perspective, $840 is a lot of money for drinks. When all that money leaves my wallet for alcohol, rivaling the price of the whole cruise itself, I cannot say I broke even. That does not make the vacation for me, and the same goes for a lot of people. In what instances do we ever spend this much on alcohol? Now, if both passengers of the cabin would spend that much anyways, it would be dumb to not get it. I've never in my life been on vacation with a female that will drink that much. I agree though, it is a great time to experiment with some high-end drinks you may not normally order.

Another way to look at it is the season pass I bought for a local amusement park the past 3 years. It was over $200. Sounds easy to get your money's worth. Just attend at least 4 times last year. I didn't. I never do. My highest year, I went 3 times. Even then, I had to push myself to go to justify all of the money I spent, to somehow make myself feel better? Every other year was 2 visits. Why was I trying to force myself to go just to break even? What is the point of justifying unnecessary costs? The world is moving heavily towards subscription-based "unlimited" access monthly and up-front fees. The truth is, the vast majority of people never get their monies worth for what they buy. I see that in my industry too. Most of the costs are incurred up-front, then they have little or no utilization of it afterwards. Companies do it to make money, not to offer "break evens".