A curious French Line object

shipgeeks

I found a Thing in a thrift store a few years ago, and I still haven't figured out what it is.

It's shiny stainless steel, about the size of the palm of my hand, shaped like a shallow cup, with two prongs along a straight side. French Line is imprinted in the bottom.

I'm guessing that it is either a soap dish or an ashtray, to be set into a wall and easily removable for cleaning.

Any ideas?

I found a Thing in a thrift store a few years ago, and I still haven't figured out what it is.

It's shiny stainless steel, about the size of the palm of my hand, shaped like a shallow cup, with two prongs along a straight side. French Line is imprinted in the bottom.

I'm guessing that it is either a soap dish or an ashtray, to be set into a wall and easily removable for cleaning.

Any ideas?

A picture would be helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

Update: I found a photo in the book "Normandie - Her Life and Times", by Harvey Ardman. Opposite page 85 is a picture of a standard third-class cabin. Single bed, wardrobe, chair, small porthole, sink. On the wall to the side of the sink is a ring holding a water glass. Above the sink are two shell-shaped holders, attached to the wall. I'm guessing one was for soap and one for ashtray. Any thoughts?