A curious French Line object

Cruise Memorabilia
Are you collecting items from cruise ships? How about some memories of old ships?
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:49 PM.
Western PA
1,429 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I found a Thing in a thrift store a few years ago, and I still haven't figured out what it is.
It's shiny stainless steel, about the size of the palm of my hand, shaped like a shallow cup, with two prongs along a straight side. French Line is imprinted in the bottom.
I'm guessing that it is either a soap dish or an ashtray, to be set into a wall and easily removable for cleaning.
Any ideas?
Shalimar, FL
310 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by shipgeeks
I found a Thing in a thrift store a few years ago, and I still haven't figured out what it is.

It's shiny stainless steel, about the size of the palm of my hand, shaped like a shallow cup, with two prongs along a straight side. French Line is imprinted in the bottom.

I'm guessing that it is either a soap dish or an ashtray, to be set into a wall and easily removable for cleaning.

Any ideas?

A picture would be helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruiser, Amateur Radio Operator AD5ZA, Runner, Christian, Collector & Retired. Not necessarilly in that order.

CARNIVAL PLATINUM
NCL
HAL 4 STAR
RCCL-RCI
ORIENT
USN
et al

Coming up:
01/04/2020 HAL GWV 128 days
Western PA
1,429 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Update: I found a photo in the book "Normandie - Her Life and Times", by Harvey Ardman. Opposite page 85 is a picture of a standard third-class cabin. Single bed, wardrobe, chair, small porthole, sink. On the wall to the side of the sink is a ring holding a water glass. Above the sink are two shell-shaped holders, attached to the wall. I'm guessing one was for soap and one for ashtray. Any thoughts?