Buying beverage card

First we are new to HAL ... I just have quick question about buying the 250.00 beverage card... does this go on our on board account for us for drinks or do we get the actual card and use it at each bar... Hope it is not a silly question just curious.... thks ...:D

You get an actual card that you use until you have used up the full amount. We usually buy it ahead of time and it will be in our room when we board. The first time you use it they will want your room key to activate it, after that no room key is necessary.

Never understood the reason for getting the beverage card nowadays. Years ago you got a 10% discount on the purchase. Now you just get face value. If it's a gift fine. But if you are purchasing it, I see no benefit other than another card to carry around.

Dan

I was that way as well but RuthC convinced me of one benefit particularly on longer cruises with the larger cards. Specifically your onboard account doesn’t get cluttered up with a bunch of small per drink charges which makes it easier to review for mistakes. Not near as good as the good ole 10% off days but neither are the omelets made with pasteurized egg product, the super sweet non freshly squeezed oj.........

It doesn't bother me whether we get a discount on the beverage card or not.

I like the convenience of the card. I don't have to hang onto all those small slips of paper to check by shipboard account at the end of the cruise. I just check the balance once I get a new receipt and throw out the old one.

At the end of the cruise, if there is anything left on the card, it is refunded back to my credit card.

If you pre-purchase the card, it will be in your cabin and it will have your name on it.

I was that way as well but RuthC convinced me of one benefit particularly on longer cruises with the larger cards. Specifically your onboard account doesn’t get cluttered up with a bunch of small per drink charges which makes it easier to review for mistakes. Not near as good as the good ole 10% off days but neither are the omelets made with pasteurized egg product, the super sweet non freshly squeezed oj.........

One of the reasons why we buy the SBP if not a part of our cruise package. All our drinks are off the onboard account. And any that show up are easier to spot.

Dan

One of the reasons why we buy the SBP if not a part of our cruise package. All our drinks are off the onboard account. And any that show up are easier to spot.

Dan

We can’t make that make economic sense for us @ $115 couple per day (I think that’s right or certainly close). My wife may drink a soda and one mixed drink a day, I am good for 3-4 drinks most days. We opt for happy hour drinks and get our sodas at Explorations Cafe as we get 1/2 off :cool:.

We have received complementary beverage card as compensation for prices going down after our final payment. Can we exchange it for OBC

Thanks

Once we didn't use a complimentary PG dinner from our TA and got credit for it, and once we got credit by returning a full beverage card that we purchased but never activated, but I think when it's given by HAL it doesn't work like that. Ask on the ship.

I have an old, very old, beverage card and a soda card that have punches for a number of drinks. How are those cards handled now?
Those were only good for the duration of the cruise, so you can toss them. IIRC it says that on the back. I tried once not long after the cruise where we purchased them, and no go. I believe part of the reason for that is that the 15% service charge went to the original ship. Edited by catl331

We can’t make that make economic sense for us @ $115 couple per day (I think that’s right or certainly close). My wife may drink a soda and one mixed drink a day, I am good for 3-4 drinks most days. We opt for happy hour drinks and get our sodas at Explorations Cafe as we get 1/2 off :cool:.

Yup, you got to pull the numbers to see if it works for you.

But unfortunately a lot of posters look at the SBP as an alcoholic beverage card. It covers way more. We've never hit the 15 drink limit but do get past the break even amount. So our account isn't loaded with small drink charges and we don't get charged for something we didn't order, which has happened before. And we don't need to wait until Happy Hour. Every hour is Happy Hour!

Dan

I have a question, if you don't mind, we have purchased a beverage card online. If we want to buy another one, where can you buy them on the ship. Many years ago, on the Volendam we purchased them at the bar, is it still the same?

Thank you

I have a question, if you don't mind, we have purchased a beverage card online. If we want to buy another one, where can you buy them on the ship. Many years ago, on the Volendam we purchased them at the bar, is it still the same?

Yes, exactly the same.

Be aware that the Beverage Card comes in $50, $100, and $250 denominations. Some of the bars don't have all 3 of these, but they can be obtained, usually, at high traffic bars, i.e. Ocean Bar.

I use it for the same reason as others have said. One does not need to save the charge slips, using the Card avoids cluttering the final bill, and any amount not used on the Card is refunded as a credit on your final bill. For me, using it is a no-brainer. Obtaining one is among the initial things I do upon embarkation.

You get an actual card that you use until you have used up the full amount. We usually buy it ahead of time and it will be in our room when we board. The first time you use it they will want your room key to activate it, after that no room key is necessary.

great answer and be careful if you purchase more than one

your name will be on that card also

Another question please can you use your beverage card on the private island also i know you cannot use you beverage package,,,, thk u ...:D

No, it cannot be used on HAL's private island, Half Moon Cay.

Just like the SBP and EBP, the beverage cards can be used wherever there are computer terminals to record the purchase. That is not available on HMC, or at the gangway when leaving the ship for a shore excursion and you grab a bottle of water. Those purchases are manually signed for and manually entered into the accounting system, and onto your onboard account.