What happens: macro setting at a distance?

My camera (TG-5 Tough) has focus stacking, which I understand is a way to synthetically create greater depth of field in a photo by combining several photos focused at different distances.

However, this feature is only available under the Macro setting. On my upcoming vacation, I'm far more likely to want to use focus stacking for scenic photos, where the subjects are much farther away. (Essentially, I'm trying to fake a much greater f-stop than my camera has.)

What happens when you use a macro setting to take a picture of something that's dozens of meters to several miles away?

Just to answer the first question someone's likely to ask ... the macro setting mentions a minimum distance, not a maximum.

That depends. In the hyperfocal distance calculation, is the length of the lens based on the actual length, or the 35mm equivalent?

Depends on which HFD calculator you use. If you don't see a setting for camera model or a more generic sensor size, then you should convert to 35mm EFL.

Depends on which HFD calculator you use. If you don't see a setting for camera model or a more generic sensor size, then you should convert to 35mm EFL.

Estimated HFD ranges from 26m to 83m, depending on zoom and f-stop. Higher than that if I attach a teleconverter, or lower than that if I attach a wide angle lens.

However, I did find an article online yesterday that demonstrated that the Macro Focus Stacking setting could be used at significantly longer ranges (than macro), though the photo only appeared to cover 2m to 50m.

That depends. In the hyperfocal distance calculation, is the length of the lens based on the actual length, or the 35mm equivalent?

Depth of field is dependent on the actual lens length, not equivalent.

As a result, small sensor cameras, at wide to normal angle, tend to have infinite depth of field — unless you’re super close to the subject. Thus, the need for “macro” focus stacking. Apart from macro, you should always have infinite depth of field with that camera.