British Colonial Hilton

gigsjh

Has anyone paid the $15 a person to stay the day at the British Colonial Hilton? If so I have some questions. How far of a walk is it from the ship? Do you have to walk in the street? I will be traveling with my husband and two year old son. What does the $15 include? Use of the pool, chairs, beach and rest rooms.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The British Colonial Hilton is just a short walk (5-7 minutes w/ a toddlere) along the wharf to the hotel. On weekdays and Saturdays, you can enter on the side of the building at the very end of Bay street and the Straw Market (entrance says One Bay Street and it looks like the bank entrance ) . Once inside there is a gate next the the building on the right. Walk along the path to the beach entrance of the hotel.. (you have to pay at the main desk) OR you can walk along the street to the front and enter into the grand foyer.

$15 includes use of the lounges at the beach and pool, rest rooms, kayaks, peddle boats and towel service. Some pool areas have umbrellas, and there are some palm frond palapas on the beach. They also have a bar and grill and spa services available at an additional cost.

They have a local band at the pool around 1pm.. they are not loud and obtrusive.

Although the British Colonial is my favorite Hotel, I haven't stayed there in months. I have a house in Nassau, and use the hotel for occasions when I have family or friends in town.. or hang out when I have some time to relax or catch a show.

I've been going there for nearly 20 years. The newly refurbished BCH is gorgeous. It's NOT a resort, but a classic upscale hotel with grand staircases, well appointed rooms, (a little on the small side ) granite bathrooms, High Tea in the afternoon and a jazz club in the evenings.. This is NOT Atlantis..

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got the following email from the British Colonial Hilton in my request for information on the High Tea.

>>>>

Dear Mrs. Workman,

I would like to thank you for the interest shown in our hotel.

Unfortunately we don't serve anymore the afternoon tea in the Palm

Court.

I can suggest you, while visiting downtown Nassau, to stop for a drink

or lunch at the Patio Grille, our outdoor casual restaurant with

beautiful view of our beach and Nassau harbor.

The British Colonial Hilton is situated just a few minutes walk from

the cruise ships terminal.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

>>>>>

:( Maggie

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so what's the difference between the Hilton and the Radisson/Wyndham? Why is there a charge for the Hilton and not for the other two. I'm looking for a nice, comfy beach/pool area with maby some water sports/activities. I'm not interested in Atlantis.

There is quite a different between the BCH and the hotels at Cable Beach.

BCH has a tiny quiet beach on the harbour and serene surroundings. It's NOT a resort, just an upscale hotel a few steps from the cruisedocks. They charge $20 so that they are NOT overwhelmed by the cruise crowds. There's no activities here except a paddle boat and a couple of kayaks. It's for those who want peace and quiet, and not the fuss of a huge resort. They do not allow many cruise guests so that they don't get too crowded.

The Hotels at Cable Beach are all resorts, they have plenty of guests, kids, music, etc. They are much busier and noisier, but have more to offer in the size of the beach and pools, as well as the selection of things to do. You might find a scuba lesson or aerobics class, or the Kidz Club splashing in the pool.

The beach is quite nice for a long walk.

All have a bar/grill for snacks or lunch.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There may have been a public restroom, but we did not use it... There is a small "stand" across the street that sells beer...nothing fancy...It is basically a public park with access to the water....

We recently visited the BCH and enjoyed our time there. It's within walking distance (right past the Straw Market), and worth the $15/pp. The beach is small but the water is clean and clear. They give you a towel and there's plenty of chairs and umbrellas. The pool is great, and the pool bar/grill had good food and drinks at ok prices. The bathrooms/changing area was very nice and clean, too.

• 3 weeks later...
On weekdays and Saturdays, you can enter on the side of the building at the very end of Bay street and the Straw Market (entrance says One Bay Street and it looks like the bank entrance ) .

Thanks so very much for all of the help!

:confused: What about SUNDAYS? Can you get a day pass on Sunday ... just need to use the Front Enterance??? :confused:

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

The BCH is a business hotel... not many kids around, but the calm waters would be fine for kids. Things are VERY low keyed here.. the beach and pool are both very quiet. Most people are reading and expect quiet. There's plenty of guests milling around the pool in suits and ties. If you're kids are apt to be running amuck.. then the Wyndham might be a better choice.

If you're kids are not looking to be entertained, then they would be fine. No kidz club, just a few float mats and a kayak or two.

Yes, the stroll to the hotel is stroller friendly. Very crowded with ship passengers, but the walkway is pretty wide.

Thanks, scubagirl.I'm glad you pointed that out. Last thing I want to worry about is keeping 3 kids quiet on their vacation, but I also remember traveling w/o kids...and getting annoyed very easily. What other hotels/beaches would you recommend? We were looking to resorts to have easiy access to potties etc? Which are w/in walking distance, or cab? I appreciate your time!!

• 8 years later...