Taxi or Bus to Dzibilchaltún Mayan Ruins in Progreso

nikicole

Our trip is very tightly budgeted and for that reason, we are looking into going to the Dzibilchaltun Ruins on our own in a taxi or bus. Are the taxis and/or buses safe in Progreso? What is a general price for each of those? I've been seeing things about a public bus that runs through Merida - is that something we want to do or is that out of the way? Also, is it true that you cannot bring snacks along?

Statistically, in terms of safety the Yucatan ranks about even with the US state of Maine and is statistically safer than such notoriously crime-ridden parts of the US as North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. If you cruise out of NOLA, the most dangerous venue on your trip will be the city you leave from/return to.

Can't speak for taxis, but Autoprogreso enjoys a decent rep on sites like TripAdvisor. They offer a bus trip to Dzibilchaltun for $29 per adult and $22 per child. Details here:

http://www.autoprogreso.com/DzibiEn.html

There may be other ways to get to Dzibilchaltun (Lawson's Excursions leaps to mind), but Autoprogreso will be the most convenient. (They have the concession for transportation to/from the cruise terminal out on the pier.) In my experience, Autoprogreso's prices are pretty hard to beat, too. I booked their excursion into Merida on my last trip and had no complaints.

BTW, first class busses (what Autoprogreso uses) in Mexico are probably a notch or two higher on the comfort scale than anything you'll find in the states. These aren't the Mexican version of the "chicken busses" that one finds in Central America.

I agree that Autoprogreso is the best way to go. We have used them several times. The buses are not quite the top notch US tour buses but there are safe and clean. They guarantee to get you back to the ship on time. I would not trust a taxi for this but on my last trip I saw a sign for hiring a taxi for $80.00 per day.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A small part of the paths at Dzibilchaltun are paved. Most of the paths are gravel. Earlier this year our son took what I call his off-road stroller (big wheels) Dz'tun for his two year old. No problems.