How as a result of the latest increase do you intend to tip on their next P&O Cruise?

kalos

As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?

• YES I will pay the new auto service charge
    • NO I will not pay the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay in person without the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay the staff in person as well as the new service charge
    • I may reduce the new auto service to what I deem to be fair

Well, currently aboard Azura and, in view of all the information I’ve received from P&O, and comments here, I’ve been to reception and filled in the form to remove auto-gratuities.

There is a box on the form for comments. The ideal place to express ones view - make it compulsory, and clear during the booking process, or include it in the fare.

I’m still in correspondence with P&O - their obfuscation skills are near those of politicians. However, I am confident that, for the present at least, the crew who’ve served me won’t be financially disadvantaged, in fact our cabin steward, who will get a cash tip, will be better off. It still feels a crazy system

Thanks for letting us know.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise.

Yes, that's what we do. However, I don't want "compulsory tipping". I want the set amount included in the price of the cruise, then I tip as I like, just the way we did before the autograts arrived.

I agree with you it should be included in the fare.

Yes, that's what we do. However, I don't want "compulsory tipping".

That is good as the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations wouldn't allow them.

I want the set amount included in the price of the cruise

Not going to happen whilst the majority of people make a voluntary donation to P&O's profits.

Yes, that's what we do. However, I don't want "compulsory tipping". I want the set amount included in the price of the cruise, then I tip as I like, just the way we did before the autograts arrived.

I have now decided this is the best way to go. I have persuaded my husband that we should remove the auto tips and tip directly to the staff. (I just hope he doesn't change his mind on our cruise)We will then do as Eddie11 says and comment on the form that we want the tips included in the fare. At some point I think P&O have to get the message.

It’s amazing how many of the die-hard auto-tippers, are now saying they are going to take them off. I wonder if they will get called tight-wads, scroungers, mean etc as others have been called who said they took the auto-tips off, and paid accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s amazing how many of the die-hard auto-tippers, are now saying they are going to take them off. I wonder if they will get called tight-wads, scroungers, mean etc as others have been called who said they took the auto-tips off, and paid accordingly.

I would never take our auto tips off but agree they should be added to the cruise price so everyone contributes.

Was your flight from Spain to Leeds okay or did you change it?.

Got cancelled on the Thursday until Friday. But Jet2 were excellent, put us into a hotel in Toremolinos, bed breakfast, evening meal even a free bottle of wine each, took us back to airport Friday afternoon and then gave us 15€ each to buy food.

Got cancelled on the Thursday until Friday. But Jet2 were excellent, put us into a hotel in Toremolinos, bed breakfast, evening meal even a free bottle of wine each, took us back to airport Friday afternoon and then gave us 15€ each to buy food.

That was very good of Jet2,pleased they looked after you and your family.

The only good thing about auto tipping is all the people in the back ground of your cruise who have no direct contact with passengers and don’t get tipped personally will get something I would guess

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, the auto tips are for your waiters, cabin steward and maitre d'it.

Just what I was thinking. I have been called all sorts of names if I mentioned I took off the tips with people saying it was obvious I didn't tip. Strange innit?

As I will continue to pay the auto tips, you will be pleased to know that I will continue to use those terms to describe non tippers!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Off to menorca in June and booked Jet2,also next feb/March with jet2

Just back from Malaga and we were in Tenerife in January too both flights Jet2 from Newcastle.

We have flown 3 times from Leeds/Bradford with Jet2 to Barcelona for cruises.

I have now decided this is the best way to go. I have persuaded my husband that we should remove the auto tips and tip directly to the staff. (I just hope he doesn't change his mind on our cruise)We will then do as Eddie11 says and comment on the form that we want the tips included in the fare. At some point I think P&O have to get the message.

So what are you hoping to achieve and have you considered the consequence.

If you remove the optional service charge then the tip pool is reduced by your share so every waiter and steward will receive less as there is less to share out.

Meanwhile for your waiters and steward, whilst their share is reduced, you will be giving them between them £14 per day (I am assuming you are not doing this to save money).

So your waiters and steward are quids in and everyone else suffers. Hmm.

I've never called anyone who PAYS tips a tightwad. My reason for removing the tip is so I can make a comment on the form. We will be paying the gratuities requested along with extra as we always do. The difference is next time we will be giving them directly to the staff.

My point was, that a number of people assume that those who take the tips off don’t pay anything. But, like the current trend seems to be, this is also a dig at P and O to sort it out

If you remove the optional service charge then the tip pool is reduced by your share so every waiter and steward will receive less as there is less to share out.

Meanwhile for your waiters and steward, whilst their share is reduced, you will be giving them between them £14 per day (I am assuming you are not doing this to save money).

My reason for doing so is to make a point to P&O that the tips should be included in the price of the cruise. Of course I'm not doing it to save money. Apart from giving my opinion on the phone to P&O I don't see what else I can do to change things and I think it's time for a change. Personally I don't think anyone will suffer as I know from an experience on our last cruise that the tips have to be handed in.

On our recent cruise our steward said they now receive an acceptable contract rate which is not tip dependant, and they also have no idea which passengers have removed the auto tip.

If this is true then the only people benefiting from your generous auto tip are P&O, therefore the more passengers removing the auto tip, the more likely it is that P&O will decide to include tipping in the cruise fare.

If I am wrong then why are P&O so reluctant to give a definitive response to the many requests for clarity about how the tip pool is shared out?