Asking 'for a friend'

RNGALNG

A coworker will turn 21 in 2019. He and most of his 20 year old buddies are looking to possibly cruise for a week this summer.

1. What lines allow a 20 year old to cruise on your own?

2. What lines allow drinking alcohol at that age?

Thanks.

A coworker will turn 21 in 2019. He and most of his 20 year old buddies are looking to possibly cruise for a week this summer.

Thanks.

Have you checked out Carnival? They have a reputation for being "booze crooze" ships. Please don't recommend Princess to them...thank you.

Carnival Cruise Lines requires at least one person 25 or older if there is anyone between 18 to 20 on the booking.

On Princess there must be someone 21 or older in each cabin. Only exceptions are if family members over 21 are in adjacent cabins booked together--or if the 18-20s are a married couple. (The buds can certainly go that route if they choose).

Pretty much every other line is the same, though I have heard Disney is a possible exception.

I don't believe any line allows under 21s to drink on the ship if the cruise either started or ended (or both) in the USA. NCL allows parents travelling with their 18-20s to sign a waiver to allow purchase of beer and wine only. But not just a group of buds--and they certainly will not be allowed to book one of the "free open bar" ships on their own.

Your coworker and his buds should save up to spend a week at an all-inclusive resort on an island they can legally imbibe at.

Have you looked at P&O (UK), they do the Caribbean as well as Europe and the rest of the world. You must be 18+ to book and alcohol is restricted to 18+ generally but 21+ when in US ports and territories. In the Caribbean they tend to visit British territories or non US islands. They have been cruising for over 170 years for British clientele but just recently they have opened up a US customers facility called poamericas.com for this purpose. It is not a "party line" but pretty much what most people of all ages will like. I think they are trying to get more people from the US and Canada to book the line.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Please tell them that a cruise will most likely not be for them. If they are just looking to get a room with no supervision, drink and raise whatever it is not the place. Sorry but cruises are proving not to be the spring break type environment they seek. I hope you and "your friends" find some place more suitable for their plans.

Thanks.

Some lines allow under 21 drinking beer & wine when with a parent but none of the 20 year olds will be able to drink at all on the cruise ship.

I would suggest booking on an island where the drinking age is 18.

Here is a great article about this topic.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1733

Your best chance is with the European oriented lines. P&O, Costa, MSC, etc.

MSC has adjusted their drinking age for cruises out of the US to be 21. They brought it in line with our drinking age.

Mexico my friend!

Left coasters - Cabo, East coast - Cancun!

I'd try for Spring Break time instead of summer (too many children and families).

Have fun, don't drive and don't be a lugnut

Thank you all for all your honest answers.

I’m in my 60’s. These questions were seriously put up for a coworker (and I feel) friend. He’s a very mature young man, raised by an ex-marine. He’s trying to find a reasonable place to vacation THIS SUMMER, not spring break. I didn’t think they could on my favored line, Princess, but wondered if maybe others here had traveled other lines and run into this situation.

I will let him know about finding another place and idea.

Wow...interesting mix of responses. You asked for suggestions. I am NOT shocked that some posters were less than polite. Never understood that mentality. Wishing your co-worker success in finding somewhere to relax and enjoy.

All I can say is remember Natalie Holloway.... If I had a 20 year old, would strongly discourage a group outting on a ship or anywhere else with drinking... simply lead to problems. We read stories in the new about college students all the time that end badly.

Thanks.

Please recommend something other than a cruise. There's enough Youtube videos to show what happens with kids & booze. We don't need another!

Have you checked out Carnival? They have a reputation for being "booze crooze" ships. Please don't recommend Princess to them...thank you.

And one wonders while Princess has a reputation for those “waiting for God” I did not read where it was Spring Break or looking for a booze cruise. Very snark

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And one wonders while Princess has a reputation for those “waiting for God” I did not read where it was Spring Break or looking for a booze cruise. Very snark

Absolutely agree.....it was a very simple question and request....Princess certainly could use some younger cruisers to expand their market share and enthusiasm for cruising.....some people on CC act like Princess is basically a floating retirement home and they want to keep it that way...:cool:

Thanks.

If he is a responsible young adult, who wants to go on a cruise, and you are an experienced cruiser, give him questions on what his likes and dislikes are, IF drinking is his or his friends top priority, I would steer him away, for now. What is the point of cruising if you (or your friends) drink yourself silly, and perhaps legal repercussions. IF you have a brick and mortar TA in your area, he should set up an appointment with someone to go over everything with him, to find that suitable cruise line.

Tell the boys to head out of Galveston on one of RCL ships to Western Caribbean. Full of all ages. While there is no drinking on ship, very port intensive and drinking age south of Texas is 18. Spring Break cruises are packed with families and college kids. Mexico is a blast. Plenty of activities and port stops daily. Just make sure they don’t come back with stories to remind those on this board what it was like to be young. Sounds like you have a great friend