Silver Wind makeover

rosepark

I have just received the itineraries for 2020, from which I see that the last Wind voyage that year is in August. There is then a huge gap until 15 February 2021 when she departs Ushuaia.

Looks like she will be turned into an expedition ship during that period.

Rp

I have just received the itineraries for 2020, from which I see that the last Wind voyage that year is in August. There is then a huge gap until 15 February 2021 when she departs Ushuaia.

Rp

Thanks for the info, that’s a real shame.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am glad to hear that they are honoring voyages through the end of the previous brochure, but disappointed to hear of the Wind's conversion. She was my first SS cruise, and such a lovely introduction it was.

So, Whisper and Shadow will be the smallest in the traditional cruising fleet now? This feels like extra motivation to get back on the Wind before her conversion. Hmmm, I wonder if I can squeeze in one more?

Eagerly awaiting the 2020 reveal,

Looks as if our four cruises on the Wind next summer will finish with our free cruise and end our 20 year love in with the Wind and Cloud as we don’t fancy Expedition cruising to the North and South Pole areas.Sad news !! The rest of the Musified fleet does not attract us ..too large and impersonal.Lots of happy memories to take away and enjoy in 2019!

there are Moon voyages listed from 6/8/20 which are in the Med and Ionian Sea and then Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on 8/11/20.

Comment re assumptions duly noted, Jolly Jones and it is indeed my interpretation of the schedule only. In 2019, however, the Wind does not appeaer to be going anywhere near Ushuaia and the Southern and South Atlantic oceans, hence my supposition concerning its future use.

Wm

Wm

Not criticizing your assumption, just looking for any glimmer of hope for the Wind. I’m not interested in expedition cruising so would be sad to lose the Wind as she offers quite a different experience from the bigger ships.

That said, I’m getting used to the Muse and now the stretched Spirit and I do wonder if I’ll miss having the increased choices ... Well, I’ve got three cruises on the Wind next year, guess I’ll find out.

So far as assumptions are concerned it is always a bit like reading smoke signals. However, people mostly believe what they want and take account of the signals or not depending on whether they want to or not. But it is always the context and evidence that either adds or reduces weight.

In this situation, the line has an incentive not to share that "they are considering" the major "refit". When you share such a consideration your bookings are immediately disrupted and they take an immediate and ongoing hit. People book often a couple or several years ahead. The risk is from SS's point of view that the specific refit date wasn't mentioned in the June press briefing so many people that might have planned to make a Wind booking might not take the risk either because they don't want to book a cruise and have it cancelled and/or they think that a refit implies it is in poor condition so even if they avoid the actual dock dates they don't want to be on a less than optimal ship. Easily avoided by simply booking something else, as their are enough alternatives. And all the TAs worth their weight will be advising those that don't know "that a refit might be planned but we don't know when", So what Manfredi was probably saying was that "Wind is certainly going to dry dock for an extensive change of use - it has been designed and booked - but the new owners reserve their right to change their mind". I don't think he would have had said that in the press briefing unless he was 99% sure it was happening because he is no fool and he wouldn't make a statement that would avoidably considerably cause unrest and damage bookings unless he was pretty certain.

Since we don’t have a cruised planned or booked I haven’t been following the whole Silversea and Wind story. At the end of July when the acquisition of Silversea by RCL was announced they also announced Project Invictus that included a drydock of the Wind late this year. As I recall this was portrayed as incorporating the new Muse standard to the Wind. I still see a void in the Wind’s calendar for about four weeks in November/December 2018. ?????

Rp

Interesting to see the file Les37b posted doesn’t show anything for the Wind after Aug 13, 2020. Rose, does the file you have show anything for the Wind after the Feb 2021 Ushuaia departure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's an important clue, from today's brochure:

New, spectacular Iceland itineraries. Silver Wind will offer a circumnavigation of Iceland, a spectacular route which has previously only been offered on expedition itineraries.

So she won't be an expedition ship, but will be able to circumnavigate Iceland? Best of both worlds???

Edited by Unibok
formatting

Here's an important clue, from today's brochure:

New, spectacular Iceland itineraries. Silver Wind will offer a circumnavigation of Iceland, a spectacular route which has previously only been offered on expedition itineraries.

At least they haven’t promised they will be stopping anywhere ........... ;):D

Since we don’t have a cruised planned or booked I haven’t been following the whole Silversea and Wind story. At the end of July when the acquisition of Silversea by RCL was announced they also announced Project Invictus that included a drydock of the Wind late this year. As I recall this was portrayed as incorporating the new Muse standard to the Wind. I still see a void in the Wind’s calendar for about four weeks in November/December 2018. ?????

The gap in the Wind schedule is from Nov 25 (Ft Lauderdale) to Dec 21 (Barbados). Any idea of the extent of the makeover? Will suites get the new look for example? 4 weeks is a rather lengthy dry dock, unless major work is being done.

The gap in the Wind schedule is from Nov 25 (Ft Lauderdale) to Dec 21 (Barbados). Any idea of the extent of the makeover? Will suites get the new look for example?
Yes, the Wind’s public spaces, restaurants and cabins will be transformed, a design initiative SS refers to as "Musification”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk