Ventura N820 / First cruise

hwtom

Hi everyone,

I've been a long-time lurker here since booking this cruise as my Mum's 60th birthday present last year and have picked up so much useful information; but as it's just three weeks exactly now until we set sail, I had a few final little things that I wondered if anyone would be able to help me out with...

1. I'm travelling to Southampton the day before and staying at the new Premier Inn (Cumberland Place), whereas my mum is coming down on the day with Intercruises; presumably we'll just be able to board at the same time with no issues? (i.e. with us being on the same booking, would we be called together, despite her being on the coach?)

2. On the day, I assume it would be best to book a taxi to get to the terminal; does traffic become an issue at all? (I've never been to Southampton before).

3. On arrival back, does everything run relatively smoothly as regards people getting to coaches/taxis into town etc, or can there be long waits? (despite the staggered disembarking - I know that once I'm back I'll just want to either get straight on the train, or at least grab some breakfast first!)

Finally, I was wondering about whether I should leave automatic gratuities on as there doesn't seem to have been a thread about that ever...:halo: Don't worry, I won't start that again :D

Apologies if any of these seem trivial; I'm a seasoned traveller otherwise, but I know that cruises are a completely different beast!

Thanks in advance, Tom

Hi everyone,

I've been a long-time lurker here since booking this cruise as my Mum's 60th birthday present last year and have picked up so much useful information; but as it's just three weeks exactly now until we set sail, I had a few final little things that I wondered if anyone would be able to help me out with...

1. I'm travelling to Southampton the day before and staying at the new Premier Inn (Cumberland Place), whereas my mum is coming down on the day with Intercruises; presumably we'll just be able to board at the same time with no issues? (i.e. with us being on the same booking, would we be called together, despite her being on the coach?)

2. On the day, I assume it would be best to book a taxi to get to the terminal; does traffic become an issue at all? (I've never been to Southampton before).

3. On arrival back, does everything run relatively smoothly as regards people getting to coaches/taxis into town etc, or can there be long waits? (despite the staggered disembarking - I know that once I'm back I'll just want to either get straight on the train, or at least grab some breakfast first!)

Finally, I was wondering about whether I should leave automatic gratuities on as there doesn't seem to have been a thread about that ever...:halo: Don't worry, I won't start that again :D

Apologies if any of these seem trivial; I'm a seasoned traveller otherwise, but I know that cruises are a completely different beast!

Thanks in advance, Tom

We always come down the night before and stay at the Premier Inn at WestQuay and the Premier Inn have a link to a local taxi company called Radio Taxis so a taxi to the terminal is easy.

Usually you will have a boarding time and if you are early you will get a coloured card with a number and letter on and you have to wait your turn.

Those on bus transfers usually get priority boarding once the bus turns up.

When disembarking you are given a time and label for your cased but if you want to carry your own cases off you can at your leisure.

There are usually lots of taxis outside to take you to wherever you need to go.

3 Disembarkation. During the last couple of days the cruise line organises a timetable for disembarkation. Coach passengers get put into a disembarkation time group to all get on the different coaches as required. You pick up cases from the luggage hall and walk to your coach. Porters are available at the bottom of the stairs. Ask one if they are free and they will do all the heavy work.

You might be given adifferent time to your mother but you can go back to reception and ask for earlier and your reasons.

Regards John

Hi hope you have a great cruise.

If I was you I would probably get to the terminal about 1:00 pm and wait for your mums coach and then go into the terminal together if you are on the same booking. You could loiter outside or sit in waiting room until her coach arrives.

The coaches usually arrive 1:30 -3:00 but it really depends where it is coming from, day of the week and traffic problems. It would help if your mum has a mobile so she can call you when she gets near the port so you can go and meet the coach.

You can also get rid of your cases as soon as your taxi arrives if it drops you at the terminal so you don’t have to drag them around while you wait.

Enjoy, don’t worry, relax and don’t get stressed .

The last few times I've arrived by coach cards have been given out on the coach. We were told to bypass the queue to get the cards, but I noticed they were a different colour, so the above suggestion may not help. You could go through check in when called, but then do not proceed through security until both are through check in. Then you can actually board together.

Evening everyone,

Thanks to everyone for the replies; there's definitely no rush for us on the day, so no worries whatsoever - I'll aim to get to the terminal at 1330/1400ish after checking out of the hotel and having a bit of lunch; the coach is scheduled to arrive around 1430 (from Nottingham) so I'll see if I can speak to someone maybe when I arrive to see what I can do, neither of us will mind having to wait a short while if it comes to that.

Ta again, Tom

Evening everyone,

Thanks to everyone for the replies; there's definitely no rush for us on the day, so no worries whatsoever - I'll aim to get to the terminal at 1330/1400ish after checking out of the hotel and having a bit of lunch; the coach is scheduled to arrive around 1430 (from Nottingham) so I'll see if I can speak to someone maybe when I arrive to see what I can do, neither of us will mind having to wait a short while if it comes to that.

Ta again, Tom

Had another thought.

If the coloured cards are given out on the coach it could be 'lost' and all members of the party could approach the distributor as a party and get the same colour, then you can check in together.