C-Pap in flight

Bases5

Rookie traveler here.

We are booked on a AA 777 from MIA to BCN

I read that 110 power is available on a 777. Can you plug in and use a c-pap while flying?

Go to seatguru.com to see based on your flight to see what is available on your plane and seat. Some AA planes are notoriously outdated in terms of amenities and dont have plugs, etc.

There are battery packs that can be used with travel sized cpap machines and can be researched and purchased online.

Go to seatguru.com to see based on your flight to see what is available on your plane and seat. Some AA planes are notoriously outdated in terms of amenities and dont have plugs, etc.

There are battery packs that can be used with travel sized cpap machines and can be researched and purchased online.

I have no idea if these are allowed for use in flight, but IF they are, then definitely have a Plan B in case you are expecting a power source and it is not there or is non-functional.

GC

We have checked on this before and my recollection is the cpap must be battery driven. Suggest you contact special assistance at American Airlines. With his doctor's approval, DH decided he would do without for a night.

We traveled from DFW to Sydney on Qantas. Like many airlines, they have a form to be filled out and submitted once you are ticketed if you are traveling with a CPAP. Even though we indicated the CPAP would not be used during the flight, they moved our seats by one row when we checked in at the gate, explaining it was to provide power for the CPAP; the flight engineer on board had opened an access panel and activated an AC power circuit on the ceiling above our seats, just in case we wanted to use it (which we did not).

Only AA can provide you with the answer - completely depends upon the individual airline's policy.

I have known airlines that prohibit their use (either on battery or line voltage), ones that allow battery only, and ones that allow line voltage only. Some require a pre-registration of make and model and a medical letter specifying its use. Some have a designated "approved list" and others are prohibited. In addition, do not expect to be allowed to bring distilled water through security - you might or might not get it through as a "medical necessity". Depends on what the TSA smurf feels like that day.

Finally, know that airline in-seat power is not guaranteed, nor is always available through a flight.

I have used CPAP every night for 10 years and traveled overseas many times. But I have never used it on an airplane. If you are in economy, your seat will not recline and most likely you will not need the CPAP. If you are in business class, your seat will recline, but you may or may not be able to sleep. I love my CPAP, but personally, I would never try to use it on a flight.

The flight is really not that long. Just nap before and stay up all flight and nap when you arrive in Spain. By the time the FA's finish with the food/beverage service on both ends there really wont be all that many hrs of dark and quiet time to sleep.

I use a CPAP but never on the plane.

I shoot the Afrin up my nose and put on a breath-rightstrip. Since I am in just asemi-reclined position, when I drift off it seems to be fine.

Or at least when I wake up there isn’t a bunch of passengers staring me down.

Rookie traveler here.

We are booked on a AA 777 from MIA to BCN

I read that 110 power is available on a 777. Can you plug in and use a c-pap while flying?

Just a few items. All medical equipment, that you might use on a flight, must be approved through special needs department with that airline. Same goes for CPAP, or inhalers, or wheelchairs(w/batteries) etc. Generally speaking, you should not need the CPAP while sleeping in an up right position. (I'm not a doctor but that's what my wife was told). The plugs on airlines, are usually 240/110 multi plugs. I'm not sure, and you would really need to check this out, that the plug electric current might actually be 240. Your CPAP most likely won't work, or blow up. Those plugs are designed mostly for laptops, and phone charging etc. All of which is usually able to be done on 240. My wife has two CPAP machines. One that insurance bought, and one that I bought that she uses for travel. The travel unit, is designed for 240 or 110. It is lightweight, and easy to pack. Never have to worry about having the right plug or voltage. It was less than $200.00.

I took my cpap to Australia with me. I had to get special permission from the airlines to take it on board, and get letters from my doctors saying that i needed it and that it had been serviced. All this, despite the fact that I didn't intend to actually use it on the flight!!

To use one on a flight, you have to have a battery driven one - but not just any battery. There are some batteries that the airlines won't allow. To plug one into the plane's power, you have to be in a seat with the right level of power. And guess where that is? Yep, up front with the celebs and rich folk.

Really, I think most people could manage with not using their cpap for the duration of their flights. Just make sure you get plenty of sleep before you travel.

We flew Qantas Airlines from DFW to Sydney and returned from Aukland in February 2018. DW's CPAP does not have batteries; works on 110V or 220 V AC power only. The airline moved our two seats by one row further back (comfort plus) so that there was a power socket activated just for her by the flight engineer, even though we filled out the single one page form and also said she would not use it during flight. The plug was located the ceiling of the airplane - it was not one of those used for laptops, phones, etc. The head steward personally talked to us before boarding to explain the seat change for accessing the special power circuit should she change her mind.

It all was no big deal! We had a reply on approval of the form within 24 hours (it was submitted by internet to their customer service folks.

Edited by DaKa2002
Add info

I took my cpap to Australia with me. I had to get special permission from the airlines to take it on board, and get letters from my doctors saying that i needed it and that it had been serviced. All this, despite the fact that I didn't intend to actually use it on the flight!!

To use one on a flight, you have to have a battery driven one - but not just any battery. There are some batteries that the airlines won't allow. To plug one into the plane's power, you have to be in a seat with the right level of power. And guess where that is? Yep, up front with the celebs and rich folk.

Really, I think most people could manage with not using their cpap for the duration of their flights. Just make sure you get plenty of sleep before you travel.

Based on your post I will need to do some research. I have never used my CPAP on the plane, but I have never had any issue carrying it on without any special permission. I usually just carry it on in the regular carrying case, but I could put it in my larger carry on. I am not sure how the airlines would even know that I was carrying on a CPAP machine.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I will now need to confirm the rules for Etihad, which is my next International flight. I know for a fact that flights within the continental US or Hawaii are not an issue.

Follow up: I just check the Etihad website and you do not need any special permission/form to carry on or even use a CPAP machine. There are certain requirements for on board use including a battery requirement. I was not planning to use it during my two overnight flights and now I know that I cannot use it hooked up the the Power outlet.

Edited by jagoffee