Great Vietnam Tours

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:20 PM.
North of Seattle
716 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by ejcooper0
Our stop in Halong Bay is only 1 and 1/2 days. Sitting on a bus for seven hours to Hanoi doesn't sound like fun. Would love to stay in the Halong Bay Area. Any suggestions of which guides or guide companies as well as must sees, in the area.
Thanks
We have only 1 day in Halong Bay. I have set up a boat tour for 34 of us in March with Ms Huong of Tonkin Tours. Tonkin Tours has very good ratings.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Jodie
Pacific Northwest
78 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by ejcooper0
Our stop in Halong Bay is only 1 and 1/2 days. Sitting on a bus for seven hours to Hanoi doesn't sound like fun. Would love to stay in the Halong Bay Area. Any suggestions of which guides or guide companies as well as must sees, in the area.
Thanks
We were on the Azamara Journey. The ship docked at Cai Lan port.
On day 1 we did the full day (8 hour) tour of Halong Bay.
Our ship left around 1:00 PM on day 2. For day 2, we took the ship provided shuttle bus to the local market. Basically, a shopping market with lots of souvenir shops.

If I recall, the tour company offered a 1/2 day tour to a local village. We decided not to go just in case there would be a problem getting back in time.

Group of 10 for all day (8 hours) Halong Bay tour that included 3 caves/grottoes and Ti Top Island and lunch on board the boat.

Our cost was approximately $100 pp which was dependent on the number of people, where our ship docked and itinerary. The tour company will accommodate you wishes within limitations of time, etc.

Guide was okay. Communication skills okay.

I would recommend them. But check out TripAdvisor for reviews on the company we used and other tour companies to form your own opinion.

Here's the tour company we used:
Tran Le Minh (Mrs)
Travel Consultant - Travel agent Sales Team Leader
Asia Top Travel – Customized Tours & M.I.C.E Solutions
Head Office: #13 Truc Bach Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel: +84 4 3 715 3569 | Fax: +84 4 3 715 3570 | Mobile: +84 974015583
Email: [email protected]| Skype: minh.att
Yahoo: minhtran.sale | Website: http://www.asiatoptravel.com

Regards from the Pacific Northwest
Harry E.

220 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by Kinkacruiser
Sorry to read you had an unsatisfactory experience with Zoom. He took our tour personally and his 23 seater bus was just fine. Zoom runs a tourism business and would contracts work out.
At the end of the tour he presented me (the main contact) with a disk of photos he had taken...nice touch. We paid USD 60 pp (he likes a deposit ) and enjoyed iced coffee at the Rex rooftop plus lunch at Pho 2000 in that price.
Ours was dreadful. We got a female who was disinterested, not knowledgeable about the area and hurried. Dreadful and no recompense.
Vietnam
14 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by jstducky
We paid a 50% deposit on the cost of the tour that we agreed to.

However, after we made our deposit, we actually had other cruisers join our tour, which lowered our per person price. No worries, that just meant that the remainder we had to pay to Zoom at the end of the tour was much lower than the 50% we had originally thought. That was nice.

Zoom is completely trustworthy and you don't have to worry about sending a deposit to him.

It was such a fantastic tour and I'm so glad we chose to go with him for HCMC tour.
We first used him in 2010 when it took us more than 2 hours to go to Saigon from Phu My. We have since then contacted him several times thanks to his job performance.
Vietnam
14 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Mr BowWow
I seldom if ever give recommendations of anyone or anything. However, the best part of my spectacular Southeast Asia holiday were the tours arranged by Mr. Zoom. I cannot say enough for Zoom's planning and then the follow through by his guides. The drivers were very good, the tour guides were tremendous. My entire group really enjoyed our visits to HCMC, Hue, Hoi Ann, Danang and Hanoi. The tours were warm and personable and all three young men were quite flexible to make changes and satisfy the group. Mr. Zoom was available to us at all times for any questions, suggestions or clarifications. Vietnam is a beautiful third world country...the guides led us in the past through the present. At this time in history, it is a fantastic time to visit and view the country. Thank you to Zoom for making this a memorable trip.
Zoom serves well as a guide and after your tour he is your friend. We became friends on FB on the first tour he guided on Saigon city tour and after that, he daily posts status or photos as I can find. This time of the year I find his photos on Lunar new year celebrations, flower road, flower markets, decorations and also, his writing on Tet lunar new year of the Rooster.
Perth Western Australia
822 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by sondang1992
Thanks so much for sharing. I had wonderful experiences with Vietnam Tour Booking

Do not use this recommendation - the OP is a tour operator that has been reported several times but still posts on Cruise Critics
Central Texas
118 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Zoom was very highly recommended on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor, so our small family group just booked with him for our visits to Nha Trang and Phu My/Ho Chi Minh City in November. We are a Vietnam vet family, and he has been especially flexible in accommodating our interests and offering us very reasonable rates. We're all looking forward to our excursions and will report back when we return.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Australia
77 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
I look forward to your report, he really is excellent, he is like a walking Wikipedia of Vietnam, he can answer just about any questions you can ask him about Vietnam, without a doubt one of the best tour guides in Saigon, he was Chelsea Clinton's tour guides when the Clintons visited in 2000.
Central Texas
118 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Our experience with Zoom was fantastic. Everything from our initial contact to our return to the ship was flawless. For our personalized tour of Ho Chi Minh City, we prearranged an itinerary. We got to see everything we wanted, and he was completely flexible with our requests to spend extra time here and less time there. His English is excellent, and his extensive knowledge of the area provided for a very interesting day. Despite the traffic challenges, his driver safely got us to where we needed to be. Zoom also arranged for us to have a private tour in Nha Trang. His colleague also provided a comfortable, informative and very personalized tour. I cannot say enough about what a wonderful two days we had.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Irvine, Ca
172 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
We have been to HCMC 2 times before on tours guided by Zoom, and we have booked him again for HCMC and Nha Trang during a cruise in December 2018. Zoom is very accommodating and extremely knowledgeable. The vans have been comfortable, for our groups of 8 on 1 tour and 14 on another. Zoom takes pictures throughout the tour, which he posts on FB as we move from site to site. We highly recommend Zoom, he will customize tours at very reasonable prices.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Gail and Lloyd

Emerald Princess - South America 1/18
Diamond Princess - SE Asia 12/16
Sapphire Princess - Grand Asia 3/15
Ruby Princess - Caribbean 12/14
Regal Princess - Venice to Venice 5/14
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 3/13
Ruby Princess - Barcelona to Venice, 5/12
Ocean Princess - Rome to Dover, 5/11
Ruby Princess - Barcelona to Venice, 5/10