Transfer from Narita to hotel and hotel to Yokohama cruise port for 83 year old

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:22 PM.
1 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Hi,

Are there any options for an 83 year old to get from Narita to Shinjuku and Shinjuku to Yokohama without having to lug her baggage to and from train/bus stations? Taxis are expensive as well as private transfers. Green Tomato isn't an option because for some reason they don't offer transfers on the day of the cruise. Maybe they are sold out? TIA!
4,370 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Train, bus, taxi, private, you said no to for various reasons. I travel with a disabled person, and I can assure you that taking a train, bus, or taxi, will be what you must do, and it is not the end of the world to have to "lug" some "luggage" around.

Every trip I take, I look at "convenience" and "price". If the train is convenient, than the price would be the best, than train it is. Other than that, the taxi, will be hailed.

Of course, you can also walk, which we have done on some occasions.
UK
853 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Tebcruiser
Hi,

Are there any options for an 83 year old to get from Narita to Shinjuku and Shinjuku to Yokohama without having to lug her baggage to and from train/bus stations? Taxis are expensive as well as private transfers. Green Tomato isn't an option because for some reason they don't offer transfers on the day of the cruise. Maybe they are sold out? TIA!

Maybe try posting on the roll call for your cruise as there may be someone prepared to share transport and costs.
We will also be looking for transfers from the airport to hotel and hotel to port for our cruise next April. I don’t know if we will find them but we take the view that this is meant be a holiday and not an ordeal.
Good luck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed on

2006 RCI Voyager of seas.
2007 RCI Splendour of the seas
2008 RCI Brilliance of the seas.
2009 Celebrity Solstice
2010 RCI Independence of the Seas
2011 Carnival Victory. Caribbean.
2012 RCI Liberty of the Seas
2012 December RCI Brilliance of the Seas. Xmas and New Year Cruises. Caribbean.
2013 Celebrity Eclipse. Baltic
2013 Navigator of the Seas- med.
Aug 2014 Celebrity Reflection
Nov 2014 Celebrity Solstice. New Zealand/Australia
May 2015. Celebrity Infinity. Alaska
Sept 2015. HAL Ryndam. Norway
Oct 2015. AMA Romantic Danube.
Jan/Feb 2016. Celebrity Equinox. Ultimate Caribbean
June 2016 P&O Britannia Canaries and Madeira
Oct. 2016. Celebrity Summit. Canada and New England.
Jan 2017. Celebrity Constellation. India and Sri Lanka
Planned:
Jan/Feb 2018 Celebrity Constellation Thailand & Vietnam / Vietnam & Philippines.
June 2018. P&O Azura. Scotland/Iceland/Ireland.
April 2019 Azamara Quest. Japan.
Ontario, Canada
2,209 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
We were well over seventy when we travelled in Japan. When we were leaving our hotel in Shinjuku to go to Narita, we took a taxi to the station, wheeled our luggaage to the limo bus to Narita then wheeled it to the check in. The taxi driver loaded and unloaded our cases and the bus driver did the same. It was really painless, no steps just a couple of elevators. People in Japan are very helpful. Just be sure that you are not overloaded with luggage and have all your destinations printed in local characters. Trip Advisor is helpful for this.
Raleigh, NC USA
1,897 Posts
Joined Oct 2001
Keep in mind that there are two airports that service Tokyo. Narita (NRT) is for the vast majority of international flights. Hanida (HND) is primarily domestic, but some international flights do use it. NRT is farther away than HND from both Tokyo central and the cruise port in Yokohama. Both airports have good public transportation, and both will set you back $200-$300 for a taxi to Yokohama OR Tokyo (yikes!)

I've no idea what "Green Tomato" is, but many hotels in Japan do not accept reservations until 6 months out (some only 3 months out). This causes internet searches that come up with "sold out" results. I've had the same issue with a couple transportation options. It wouldn't surprise me if this is your problem with booking Green Tomato. email them and ask.

People don't like to hear it, but our solution to avoid lugging our luggage is simple: We do carry on only. Period. No exceptions in 30+ years - even on trips of one month.

This thread has some great transportation information. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...7#post56692117
Raleigh, NC USA
1,897 Posts
Joined Oct 2001
Also remember that there are TWO cruise ports. Harimi for smaller ships, okinbashi for the larger ships. (My spelling may be wrong.)
New York
442 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
From airport to hotel, you can take an airport limousine bus, depending on which hotel you are staying at, it might be one of the stops in the route for Shinjuku:

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/areas/detail/nrt/shinjuku/dep
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
+2 Trip/Ship
(MSC Seaside and Ovation of the Seas) not on this website/ticker