Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz, it's great that CCI has no problems with your having a second dog. When I applied to Dogs for the Deaf for Raylene, the application had a check box that I understood I could not have any other dogs in the household. (Cats are usually OK.) Not sure why.

I think Colleen had to give up her Osborn when he retired before she could bring home Misty, too.

(By the way, Roz, your animated lab at the foot of your signature is the MOST entertaining thing I've ever seen on Cruise Critic! Love playing with it! I think of her as "Cher," because before getting Raylene, I wrote an article about a yellow lab hearing dog by that name.)

I think CCI really does this on a case by case basis. They know from experience with Brenda that I'm a pretty strict mom and their main concern is that the dog doesn't have any focusing issues. I also work full time and take my Service Dog with me so we're not always interacting at home. It's mostly out in the world and at work. That may make a difference to them.

I love my signature dog too. Hard to believe he's not real. I find myself playing with him too! I like the name "Cher!" For right now, let's call her that.

OK, here's a try using PhotoBucket. I think I've finally gotten the hang of it after numerous times trying!

We walked across the bridge into Canada this summer while visiting Niagara Falls. The customs & immigration officials on both sides barely looked at Hearing Dog Raylene - I can only hope our cruise in December will be that easy. I'm getting busy on the paperwork now.

259768ee-5ce5-4270-86ed-166326530ffb_zpsc340f937.jpg

30 days to go before we cruise. I have to make appointments for grooming and a visit with the Vet to get his travel papers.

I'm still debating about getting a "buddy" for Horton. Another dog to share his home and time with. Although, his buddy couldn't go cruising with us and he'd have to be boarded when we cruised, I think Horton would benefit from the company of another dog. I have to think about it very hard. I will still be working which means "doggie daycare" daily. Must do some heavy thinking.

Someone suggest getting a cat [not a kitty] but an older cat that's used to having dogs around, that would be playful but is already trained. A rescue. I must confess, I'm not much of a cat person. This would take some very heavy thinking.

Any suggestions from you guys? I'm open. :confused:

A cat would be a lot less work for you, you can leave them alone for the day (no doggie daycare) and you can even leave them for the weekend without getting a sitter. Might not be as good of company for the dog though. My dog and cats just basically ignored each other.

Dianne

OK, here's a try using PhotoBucket. I think I've finally gotten the hang of it after numerous times trying!

We walked across the bridge into Canada this summer while visiting Niagara Falls. The customs & immigration officials on both sides barely looked at Hearing Dog Raylene - I can only hope our cruise in December will be that easy. I'm getting busy on the paperwork now.

259768ee-5ce5-4270-86ed-166326530ffb_zpsc340f937.jpg

What a beautiful picture of a gorgeous dog. I see the harness that you use. Can you please explain the use of what looks like two harness's. Why don't you use a collar around Raylene's neck [i see that she's wearing a collar], but it looks like your using something different? Do you like what you're using better and why?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Dianne, I remember waiting for our pup to arrive, and it seemed like it would never happen - but it did and it seems like she's been here forever!

And you never know, you might be lucky like our CarribeanChris who got Raylene before she thought she would! :D

As Roz says we will wait with you. :)

So today Aruba goes for her sleepover. I've got her sleeping crate, blankets, cushion, toys, food (weighed out and bagged for each meal), treats, spare lead, indoor collar (!), food bowl, the mat she sits on to eat her food - I hope that's everything! And a towel for drying her off after her walk (it's raining here and miserable).

All for an evening at the theatre! LOL!

Hopefully it will be soon, I know it won't be at least until February though. We have a transatlantic cruise at the beginning of November which is when the next training is scheduled (I just made our final payment so I know I won't be able to go to that one.) The next training will be in February.

That is quite a list of things to take for Aruba's sleepover!

Dianne

A cat would be a lot less work for you, you can leave them alone for the day (no doggie daycare) and you can even leave them for the weekend without getting a sitter. Might not be as good of company for the dog though. My dog and cats just basically ignored each other.

Dianne

Dianne, that's what I've been told. That they wouldn't really wouldn't be the greatest company or a "playmate" for Horton.

Thanks for your insights I so appreciate your honesty.

What a lovely photo! I just love seeing these dogs - and their peeps - she clearly adores her Mum! even though she makes her wear this silly blue coat! ;):) btw was I correct in thinking you did get Raylene sooner than expected?

Thanks, Fairbourne! Yes, you are very kind to remember... just six months, start to finish.

The trainer said it was a very unusual scenario. I had applied for a dog Certified for Public Access, since I travel for my job. Dogs for the Deaf had received four "career change" Labs at once from Guide Dogs for the Blind, and expected one out of four to finish training, as is typical. All four did well, and the trainers kept an eye on applications, looking for the right partners. (Most DFD pups are smaller shelter rescues, and some are trained for sound alert work only in the home, not public access.)

Looking forward to hearing how Aruba's "sleepover" goes! Have a fun evening at the theatre.

Hopefully it will be soon, I know it won't be at least until February though. We have a transatlantic cruise at the beginning of November which is when the next training is scheduled (I just made our final payment so I know I won't be able to go to that one.) The next training will be in February.

That is quite a list of things to take for Aruba's sleepover!

Dianne

You're so smart to make plans and living your life to the fullest. It will help to make the time go by quicker. Just think, soon you'll be able to take your Service Dog with you when you cruise. Life is just so much better with a Service Dog in it!!!! :)

I definitely will let you all know. I think its going to be a while since I have only been on the waiting list for six months. Hopefully by this time next year I will have my dog. In the meantime, I will follow along here to enjoy hearing about everyone else's dogs.

Dianne

Keep us posted! Your future dog will have lots of interested aunts and uncles here already before he/she even arrives.

Roz,

There is an animal rescue group call Precious Paws in Southern California. They are very good at knowing their cats and the type of situation that would work with each animal.

Thank you so much for this information. That's exactly the type of org. I'd want to contact. :)

Keep us posted! Your future dog will have lots of interested aunts and uncles here already before he/she even arrives.

That is so true.......I remember what waiting felt like and besides being so excited I was very nervous. I felt the very same way getting Horton. I think CCI likes to know that their people are excited and happy about the whole experience.

Love,

Auntie Roz & Cousin Horton

Edited by wizard-of-roz

DKD, I just got time to read the story about your amazing family. It is wonderful! This will go so far to educate people who read it. (Of course I am sharing it with everybody I know.) Thank you for being willing to share your experience with all of us!

Beckie

What a beautiful picture of a gorgeous dog. I see the harness that you use. Can you please explain the use of what looks like two harness's. Why don't you use a collar around Raylene's neck [i see that she's wearing a collar], but it looks like your using something different? Do you like what you're using better and why?

Here's the scoop on that "Freedom No-pull Harness." I use it clipped to the top metal ring for Raylene's fun walks (what her trainer calls, "Dog being a dog walks.") We bought it during Training Week, and I like the way it distributes pressure evenly if the dog pulls.

In more dicey situations when there's a lot of potential pulling, the leash is designed to easily double over fast and you can clip onto the front metal ring too, as in that photo.

When she's working indoors in her vest (museum, grocery store, etc), I just clip her orange leash onto the orange official collar and she heels pretty well, no problem. However, sometimes this summer I put her orange vest over top of the harness in a pinch to be sure I had plenty of control when we were going in and out of buildings. You can imagine what the streets of New York city were like.

Raylene is more sniff-oriented than food-oriented, if you can believe it, and would take a dive toward a good whiff of a lizard or toad if I had filet mignon in my pocket. Her original trainer the other day said mentioned she had used a fabric Martingale collar during training (not the chain kind), and that I might want to get one, so I did.

So we're working on that pulling - both in uniform and out - and resuming a few more training sessions Monday with a local trainer we love.

I think people assume the dogs arrive like little programmed robots, but they (and partner!) really need and benefit from plenty of ongoing training after they arrive. I don't have to tell you - it's all about the 3Ps, Practice, patience and praise!

Hey Everybody! Just checking in again to ask if any of your employers have participated in the ALS challenge. Yesterday after work lots of folks from my office gathered together and poured on the ice buckets. I couldn't stay since I had to get home to my family. However I wanted to share this link with the video of my co-workers lead by one of the company's owners. (Hope you can view it.)

https://vimeo.com/104022267

Thanks!

Beckie

Here's the scoop on that "Freedom No-pull Harness." I use it clipped to the top metal ring for Raylene's fun walks (what her trainer calls, "Dog being a dog walks.") We bought it during Training Week, and I like the way it distributes pressure evenly if the dog pulls.

In more dicey situations when there's a lot of potential pulling, the leash is designed to easily double over fast and you can clip onto the front metal ring too, as in that photo.

When she's working indoors in her vest (museum, grocery store, etc), I just clip her orange leash onto the orange official collar and she heels pretty well, no problem. However, sometimes this summer I put her orange vest over top of the harness in a pinch to be sure I had plenty of control when we were going in and out of buildings. You can imagine what the streets of New York city were like.

Raylene is more sniff-oriented than food-oriented, if you can believe it, and would take a dive toward a good whiff of a lizard or toad if I had filet mignon in my pocket. Her original trainer the other day said mentioned she had used a fabric Martingale collar during training (not the chain kind), and that I might want to get one, so I did.

So we're working on that pulling - both in uniform and out - and resuming a few more training sessions Monday with a local trainer we love.

I think people assume the dogs arrive like little programmed robots, but they (and partner!) really need and benefit from plenty of ongoing training after they arrive. I don't have to tell you - it's all about the 3Ps, Practice, patience and praise!

Horton is "sniff" and "food driven" but he's not a "lunger" like Brenda was. Thank goodness because he could really knock or pull me off my feet! He's so big!

Thank you so much for the great information. It sounds like Raylene really got lucky having you as her handler. ♥

Hey Everybody! Just checking in again to ask if any of your employers have participated in the ALS challenge. Yesterday after work lots of folks from my office gathered together and poured on the ice buckets. I couldn't stay since I had to get home to my family. However I wanted to share this link with the video of my co-workers lead by one of the company's owners. (Hope you can view it.)

https://vimeo.com/104022267

Thanks!

Beckie

Good job! You work for a great company! Thanks for sharing their efforts with us!

Just caught up on all the happenings here. Great article, DKD. Thanks everyone for the pics. (DKD, I use photobucket, too.)

Roz, are you and Horton going to CCI's Haute Dog LA ? If you are going, I'll join you. :)

Marcia, Horton is going to be one of the models. I'd love to see you there. I have to leave work earlier so that we can make it on time.

I love silent auctions......they're so much fun!

See you there!

Marcia, Horton is going to be one of the models. I'd love to see you there. I have to leave work earlier so that we can make it on time.

I love silent auctions......they're so much fun!

See you there!

Cool! It's on my calendar! :)

I'm sorry, I realize how rude that was.......Anyone who would like to support Canine Companions for Independence and see Horton model, this is your opportunity. It's at The Peninsula Beverly Hills Hotel, on Tuesday, October 21, 2014 at 6:30pm.

I don't want to break any rules here on CC by advertising. But, if you'd like to help a premier dog training organization this would be the way. And, we'd get a chance to meet you at the same time. ♥

That sounds like so much fun, Roz & Dobiemom! Wish we lived on the west coast. Have a cocktail for me and Raylene!

It would be so much fun and great opportunity for all of us to meet! I will definitely have a cocktail [or two] in honor of all my CC friends!!!!! ♥

So, Horton and I are at Target last night [on our way home from work.] And, I'm looking off in the distance, as I'm loading up my car, and I see a man in a wheelchair and a Black Dog beside him. He's slowly gathering a crowd of people who are hugging each other and I'm so curious, I get in my car and drive right up to the crowd. I introduce myself; he graduated from CCI last Friday with his Service Dog, Tammy. [she looked exactly like Brenda when she was young.] ♥

The crowd around him were family members all meeting to go out to celebrate together. He was so excited about being out in the world and having his new partner right beside him.

On the other hand Tammy looked so much like a "deer in the headlights!" You could see in her face that she was feeling a bit awkward, slightly shy, ears back and head down. Then, something magic happened; Horton sat up and she saw him and her whole demeanor and face changed. Her eyes got big, her ears went forward and you could see she was connecting and not feeling so alone anymore.

I knew if I parked my car and took Horton out to meet Tammy these folks would never get to their dinner plans. So, I bid them all a huge CONGRATULATIONS and a fond farewell. I told him his life was going to change in the most wonderful way!

I get so excited when I see another dog wearing the CCI Vest out in the world!