Do PandO get Norro?

AnOnymously

Celebrity forums are awash with norro virus posts and problems on the ships.

I can't see anything on these boards. Does P and O suffer as much or do their customers not post on here about it?

I was not on a troubled ship this summer on Celebrity, pleased to say, glad we are not sailing with them. We are on pando in 2019.

Yes P&O get noro, most cruise ships do occasionally in spite of their best efforts. A quick Google shows the press releases the odd time it happens to them. They appear to handle it well when it does eg delaying embarkation to deep clean.

Personally I have never been on a P&O ship with a full outbreak aboard and we have travelled in peak noro / winter vomiting season. I have been onboard when they removed the salt and peppers, bar menus etc for th first day or so, a clear sign that a case has been onboard and a sensible precaution to stop it spreading to the next lot of passengers after cleaning.

I have been on an RCI and a Thomson ship which went into lock down due to the high number of cases and it was not a happy situation. It's like the common cold, hard to control once it's on the move in a closed environment.

Yes P&O get noro, most cruise ships do occasionally in spite of their best efforts. A quick Google shows the press releases the odd time it happens to them. They appear to handle it well when it does eg delaying embarkation to deep clean.

Personally I have never been on a P&O ship with a full outbreak aboard and we have travelled in peak noro / winter vomiting season. I have been onboard when they removed the salt and peppers, bar menus etc for th first day or so, a clear sign that a case has been onboard and a sensible precaution to stop it spreading to the next lot of passengers after cleaning.

I have been on an RCI and a Thomson ship which went into lock down due to the high number of cases and it was not a happy situation. It's like the common cold, hard to control once it's on the move in a closed environment.

Aurora has had a few well documented noro virus cases and one was when she was not allowed to dock in several ports.

All ships get norovirus at some time or other. Some people's personal hygiene isn't what it could be and that doesn't help. We had a couple of outbreaks on Aurora but apart from increased vigilance in the buffet and MDR it didn't really affect us. No ports were lost.

Aurora has had a few well documented noro virus cases and one was when she was not allowed to dock in several ports.

That was a good time ago, could be 10years.

Yes every Cruise line is afflicted at some time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As others have said, all cruise ships experience Norovirus outbreaks periodically and P&O is no exception. I am a firm believer that the ‘danger zone’ for Norovirus is the buffet and, as such, we don’t use it and have never succumbed to the virus even when there have been outbreaks on board during Cruises we have been on. Sadly, a lot of my fellow male species don’t wash their hands when they go to the loo and then go straight to the buffet (I have witnessed this countless times). Also, I have often seen people licking food spills off their hands in the buffet when serving food and then pick up serving tongs. Sadly, these two appalling habits are both prime Norovirus spreading fodder.

As others have said, all cruise ships experience Norovirus outbreaks periodically and P&O is no exception. I am a firm believer that the ‘danger zone’ for Norovirus is the buffet and, as such, we don’t use it and have never succumbed to the virus even when there have been outbreaks on board during Cruises we have been on. Sadly, a lot of my fellow male species don’t wash their hands when they go to the loo and then go straight to the buffet (I have witnessed this countless times). Also, I have often seen people licking food spills off their hands in the buffet when serving food and then pick up serving tongs. Sadly, these two appalling habits are both prime Norovirus spreading fodder.

I also think that the buffet is the danger zone. The behaviour of a passenger on a Princess cruise was the catalyst for us to stop using the buffet when we watched her pick up a roll in her hand in the buffet and press it before trying again with a different roll, she did this several times, we left the buffet and have never been in one since preferring to eat in the MDR or some other alternative venue. I have never had noro to and do not want to experience it.

Yes, all ships suffer outbreaks but P&O fast and close the buffet or serve the food themselves. Anyone who catches it is confined to their cabin until the ships doctor tells them they can leave.

I think everyone in the cabin should be confined. What is the point of confining someone when the other occupant happily spreads the virus around the ship

I think everyone in the cabin should be confined. What is the point of confining someone when the other occupant happily spreads the virus around the ship

Sorry I don't agree. I can be ill with something and my husband who has the constitution of an elephant never catches anything.

I think that locking up the afflicted is a thin line re human rights (though I understand it) but locking in the healthy with the afflicted, that steps over the line. Just my point of view.

I totally agree and have seen lots of unhygienic actions by people in buffets.

My wife said that she sees lots of women leaving the toilets without washing their hands too.

Apparently, it is quite bad on Oriana at the moment.

Just surprised that it has not been reported on these boards.

Very scary, I have had doses on holiday abroad many times, never, mercifully, on a cruise. I have also been trouble free for many years, but have dire memories of Spanish holidays.

Not on a boat for another 4 months, hope the season has passed!

Sorry I don't agree. I can be ill with something and my husband who has the constitution of an elephant never catches anything.

I think that locking up the afflicted is a thin line re human rights (though I understand it) but locking in the healthy with the afflicted, that steps over the line. Just my point of view.

It's probably people like your husband (and me too, I'm not casting blame) who spread it. It's not that we healthy types don't come into contact with the germs, but that they don't affect us. So we're carriers.

It's probably people like your husband (and me too, I'm not casting blame) who spread it. It's not that we healthy types don't come into contact with the germs, but that they don't affect us. So we're carriers.

Noro is not airborne, it's spread by contamination so with proper hand washing and decent hygiene practice "carriers" are not likely to spread it.

Noro can hang about in an infected persons system for up to 2 weeks and most confinement periods are only 2 to 3 days so it's far more likely that someone who has actually had the full blown virus will spread it after they are let our (or indeed before they know they have if and the nasty symptoms hit them). Again it's done to scrupulous hygiene.

Can't remember which line it was I was on but they restricted passengers who had had noro the MDR only after they came out of lock down. I suppose that would cut down the chance of passing it on via serving spoons etc in the buffet.

Celebrity forums are awash with norro virus posts and problems on the ships.

I can't see anything on these boards. Does P and O suffer as much or do their customers not post on here about it?

I was not on a troubled ship this summer on Celebrity, pleased to say, glad we are not sailing with them. We are on pando in 2019.

It’s a joke question, isn’t it???

I totally agree and have seen lots of unhygienic actions by people in buffets.

My wife said that she sees lots of women leaving the toilets without washing their hands too.

I have too. Quite common to see people licking their fingers, lifting food with their hands and sometimes putting it back and eating food as they go around and that's not to mention what goes on in toilets (or rather doesn't). I've even seen someone dropping serving tongs and putting them back and putting trays on the floor is another pet hate.

I've worked on the periphery of the food industry and was sent on a hygiene course and was shown how to wash my hands properly. Its not that simple. I carry anti-bac wipes and never ever touch toilet door handles and locks without a hand towel or touch stair rails or lift buttons. BTW I'm in no way obsessed with hygiene.

I recently came back from our first P & O cruise on Aurora, and was surprised at how few gel stands there are for folk to use, and also it seems to be left to passengers to use them or not. On Thomson there is usually someone at both buffet and main dining room entries who actually squirt your hands for you as you enter.

I use a paper towel to open loo doors after washing hands then use gel when I find a stand.

I recently came back from our first P & O cruise on Aurora, and was surprised at how few gel stands there are for folk to use, and also it seems to be left to passengers to use them or not. On Thomson there is usually someone at both buffet and main dining room entries who actually squirt your hands for you as you enter.

I use a paper towel to open loo doors after washing hands then use gel when I find a stand.

Usually the waiters in the buffet squirt gel on your hands at the buffet entrance then hand you a tray with cutlery on.

We have been on all P&O ships and many other cruise lines and the buffet hygiene is very hit and miss.

Yes we too were on Aurora in June and there were no hand stations at the entrance to the MDR, which we thought was odd.

Once on Ventura we had lunch in the buffet where the staff were squirting gel on your hands prior to being given your tray. I collected my food then went to sit down, I forgot my cutlery and went back and was stopped again to use the hand gel, which although annoying was well enforced.

Also I do wonder at the health questionnaire you have to fill in on embarkation. Would anyone who has recently been feeling unwell actually let on that this is the case?

Yes we too were on Aurora in June and there were no hand stations at the entrance to the MDR, which we thought was odd.

Once on Ventura we had lunch in the buffet where the staff were squirting gel on your hands prior to being given your tray. I collected my food then went to sit down, I forgot my cutlery and went back and was stopped again to use the hand gel, which although annoying was well enforced.

Also I do wonder at the health questionnaire you have to fill in on embarkation. Would anyone who has recently been feeling unwell actually let on that this is the case?

It would make interesting reading but at the thought of losing your cruise ,flights etc i bet most people would lie on the cruise health questionnaire.