Palms Court Gardens: Do you recommend this and is it easily walkable from the Port?

chrcruiser

Also check out which other ships are in port that day. If there are two P & O ships, as on the day we visited, avoid it!!

Did you pre-reserve? There are a limited number of loungers - when they are full, they are full. There are not that many of them. What was the problem? Was it noisy?

Last time we were there, there were more than two ships and we had to dock out at commercial port but we didn’t have any problems at Palm Court. Pleases explain what problems you had so we can be informed for the future. This has become our “ go-to” place.

Did you pre-reserve? There are a limited number of loungers - when they are full, they are full. There are not that many of them. What was the problem? Was it noisy?

Last time we were there, there were more than two ships and we had to dock out at commercial port but we didn’t have any problems at Palm Court. Pleases explain what problems you had so we can be informed for the future. This has become our “ go-to” place.

Yes we did pre-reserve. They were very efficient handling emails and a very nice double lounger was reserved for us right by the pool - as requested.

The problem was that there were around 9 couples who were paying guests (as evidenced by the colour of their wristbands) and around 150 crew (who all get in for free) who totally overran the place. What we expected to be a nice relaxing day turned into something akin to spring break at a resort in Cancun - hence why I suggested checking which other ships are in port. Take a look at Trip Advisor - we were probably unlucky with the day we visited, but we were not alone in our experience and our disappointment

Yes we did pre-reserve. They were very efficient handling emails and a very nice double lounger was reserved for us right by the pool - as requested.

The problem was that there were around 9 couples who were paying guests (as evidenced by the colour of their wristbands) and around 150 crew (who all get in for free) who totally overran the place. What we expected to be a nice relaxing day turned into something akin to spring break at a resort in Cancun - hence why I suggested checking which other ships are in port. Take a look at Trip Advisor - we were probably unlucky with the day we visited, but we were not alone in our experience and our disappointment

Oh my....how do I find out how many ships are in port that day. Definitely not the atmosphere I was looking for.

Oh my....how do I find out how many ships are in port that day. Definitely not the atmosphere I was looking for.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-basseterre-st-kitts.html

Just click on the date that you will be in St Kitts and all of the ships will be listed. Read the list carefully since they will often list the same ship multiple times. Also, the number of passengers is really what determines how crowded it will be, not the number of ships - but those two tend to go hand-in-hand. To find out how many passengers can be on each ship, you can click the ship name and that will give you details about the ship - including how many passengers.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-basseterre-st-kitts.html

Just click on the date that you will be in St Kitts and all of the ships will be listed. Read the list carefully since they will often list the same ship multiple times. Also, the number of passengers is really what determines how crowded it will be, not the number of ships - but those two tend to go hand-in-hand. To find out how many passengers can be on each ship, you can click the ship name and that will give you details about the ship - including how many passengers.

But just to reiterate - there were 3 ships in port on the day we were there and only 18 paying guests, so the number of passengers was irrelevant. The 150 crew were from just two P & O ships who happened to be in port on the same day. We spoke with some of the crew who worked in entertainment and kids clubs and they told us they had very generous time off when in port so I would be particularly wary of visiting when (and it's probably not a common occurence) there are 2 P & O ships in port

I am sorry to hear your review. I know it is a popular location, especially for singers and dancers and ship entertainment crew and they do indeed fill up any unreserved loungers which was why I suggested to PP that they pre-reserved. in my experience the crew come later, for a few hours around lunch.

I presumed the crew got a discounted day pass (as is the norm at many places) but was unaware that they didn’t pay a fee at all. They certainly purchase food and drink which is profitable for the facility. I agree 150 seems excessive for the venue and I think I would have voiced my opinion in an email to the management suggesting they set a limit on the free passes so as not to impact paying guests and thus their reputation. (Officially the $2 entrance fee is credited towards food a drink so I suppose if they didn’t actually use the pool but just chatted technically their entrance was free.)

As I stated previously there must have been at least 3 ships last time we visited as we had to dock at commercial dock so I am sure size and type of ship must factor into it, but we didn’t have any problems.

The facility was noticeably busier and more popular on our second visit, mainly due to the increase in “drop-in” visitors purchasing the garden pass on Segway, walking and private tours walking round the pool to admire the view for a few minutes ( they do not have access to the pool). However the increased number was transient and did not affect our enjoyment. We prefer the single loungers directly facing the ocean. The loungers on the side of the pool may be more disturbed by these transient visitors and the crew do favor the bed loungers on the other side of the pool as they can accommodate a large group chatting. A large number of people come to use the restaurant but we just enjoyed food and drinks at, or near, our lounger.

Thanks - how far out in advance? Did you contact them by email? Did you take a cab?

The first time we reserved quite close to our cruise date. We used the email address on website, discussed the type of location we would prefer and they were kind enough to send photos of the view from the lounger they recommended for us. They were very helpful. The second time we reserved as soon as we booked the cruise and knew exactly which lounger we wanted, very close to the original position!

We walked there and back on the first visit and intended to do the same on the second. However we docked out of town, at the commercial port and cruiseline provided free shuttle to town center. We walked from there again but returned directly from Palm Court by taxi to the ship.

The first time we reserved quite close to our cruise date. We used the email address on website, discussed the type of location we would prefer and they were kind enough to send photos of the view from the lounger they recommended for us. They were very helpful. The second time we reserved as soon as we booked the cruise and knew exactly which lounger we wanted, very close to the original position!

We walked there and back on the first visit and intended to do the same on the second. However we docked out of town, at the commercial port and cruiseline provided free shuttle to town center. We walked from there again but returned directly from Palm Court by taxi to the ship.

Which lounger did you get the second time? Do they have them near ocean?

Sent from my RCT6603W87M7 using Forums mobile app

Which lounger did you get the second time? Do they have them near ocean?

Sent from my RCT6603W87M7 using Forums mobile app

Not sure if you have seen this video but it gives you some idea of location of facility and layout of loungers for you to decide what would be best for you. (I think the positions of loungers may change from time to time but you can describe general area.)

As stated by PP the facility is NOT on the ocean - there is NO beach. Another thing to keep in mind, because it is elevated, the wind can get up and prevent the use of umbrellas which can cause a shade problem.

We have gone to St Kitts, both in Feb and March, but not going this year. We are cruising Western this month, to Cozumel and later on, in Sept are going on our bucket list cruise, an Alaskan cruise. Palms Court Garden is walkable from the ship, but if you choose, they will call a cab for your return. Have fun!

• 8 months later...