Currency in mexican ports

petlady7

Hi

From past experience we have always used USD in mexican ports but I am sure I have read somewhere that they are now asking for pesos , has anybody had any recent experiences ? Cabo and Huatulco specifically please

Your question is a bit generic.....so a generic answer is yes, many merchants, taxis, and eating venues will accept US Dollars. However, you are going to pay extra (sometimes a lot extra) when you use dollars as you will not always get a great exchange rate. Some shops and larger stores do post their exchange rate,...but otherwise, you can try to negotiate. There is much to say for getting some Pesos (the best rates will be out of bank ATM machines) at your first port. In many stores and eating venues you can also use credit cards (primarily MC and Visa) which can be a good deal....if you have a card that does not charge a foreign exchange fee.

By the way, do not be too shy to negotiate! When we were in Huatulco, DW and I decided to just have a relaxing beach day. We walked, from the port, to the nearby beach and started to stroll along the sand. Most of the beach chairs are owned by adjacent cafes/restaurants and, of course, we were quickly approached and asked if we wanted to rent loungers. We walked until we saw some loungers that had nice cushions and where the adjacent bar/cafe looked pretty decent. As usual we were offered loungers and umbrellas....but they wanted $25 (US). I told them, "we do not pay for chairs......but if they give us the chairs and umbrella for free..we will spend money on drinks and lunch. There was some back and forth and we again insisted we do not pay for loungers. Finally they did agree to give us the loungers and umbrella for no charge (and yes, we did spend money on beer/food).

Hank