Please Help

Underground (tube) the cheapest and you arrive when peak time is over so price is better. It's not the fastest though. Heathrow express is but more money.

So here's what you can do - http://www.tfl.gov.uk maps and prices on there

If you're staying in London get the Oyster card to use on tube and buses

Underground us Heathrow to green park then switch lines to do last 2 stops - work on 5 mins per stop as an average

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How many people will be traveling with you?

The cheapest (though, perhaps not the most direct) is to take the tube from Heathrow to Waterloo station and then walk the 3-4 big blocks from the station to the hotel. This does require a change of underground trains, though, as there is no direct route from the airport to Waterloo. If you have a ton of luggage, the transfer may be challenging (especially if escalators are not available).

Alternatively, you can book private taxi service to take you to the hotel. We will be doing this same exchange next week and we booked Great Britain Cars to transport us from Heathrow to the Hampton Inn. They have several vehicle sizes to chose from, depending on the number of people in your party and the amount of luggage you expect to have with you. As a family of 5, we booked a 7-passenger van so that we would have plenty of room for everything (we could have squished in a 5 or 6 passenger vehicle, but we may not have had enough room for all of the bags). Price was 67 GBP plus a 6 GBP parking fee (the driver will park the car and meet you inside of the terminal, after arrivals). We figured that this was a reasonable cost for the convenience.

If this is more than you want to spend, the Tube runs 3-6 GBP per person for the entire journey, but you have to manage your own bags along the route. If you pack light, this is probably the best way to go.

Suggesting the tube, I wonder whether Tiggertastic has misread your arrival time as 10am?

Getting thro' airport formalities from runway to arrivals hall is usually about 60 to 90 minutes.

So even if your aircraft arrives on-time it'll be well gone 11pm by the time you get to the arrivals hall.

And as Pitzel's post, there's no direct tube train to Waterloo - you'll need to make one change and arrive at your hotel around midnight.

You'll not be passing through any particularly unsavoury or unsafe areas on the way, but cities at night are cities at night. And you'll be in a foreign city, not at your brightest after a long flight, and burdened with luggage.

And just to rub it in, Murphy's Law says it'll be raining.:rolleyes:

I'd suggest you book a private transfer.

It shouldn't cost more than about £40 to £45 for a sedan (saloon), and the traffic should be comparatively light heading into town.

Sorry, can't help with recommendations but there are lots of operators. Do google for reviews - everyone gets the odd duff review, but go by the vast majority of reviewers. Don't bother with any that don't have plenty of independent reviews. Simplyairports is one of the best-known.

BTW, the post-code (zipcode) for your hotel is SE1 8XA

Different operators, different terms. Check for add-ons such as waiting time and credit card use. There's no congestion charge at that time of night, and no tolls.

Don't bother with Smiths for Airports or West Quay Cars or Aqua Cars, frequently recommended on this forum. All are excellent but they're all based in the Southampton area and won't quote or won't be competitive for a Heathrow to central London job.

Advise the operator of your flight number and scheduled arrival time, and terminal number if known. They will monitor flight times, which allows them to vary their arrival time to suit aircraft arriving early or late. They all know their stuff about arrival times and how long the airport formalities take.

JB :)

There will be two of us late fifties with two large rolling bags. Is it safe to walk 3-4 blocks after 10 pm in the Waterloo area?

Please be aware that not all tube stations have an elevator. There is a chance that you have to carry your lagguage up and down the stairs by yourself.

Safe travels

How long should I plan on it taking to get thru immigration if I book a car service?[/quote

John Bull has answered your timing. I plan 60-90 minutes, depends how fast you walk, how many flights, and lines at immigration. You give your flight number, airline so the car service monitors them, you can email them to ask.

Myself a woman, I would not be traveling with luggage late at night after a long late flight in a different city. I would take a car service door to door service, which I do even when I have a morning arrival, well worth the money.

• 1 month later...
Please be aware that not all tube stations have an elevator. There is a chance that you have to carry your lagguage up and down the stairs by yourself.

Safe travels

If you still decide to take the tube...stay on until Green Park station and transfer there to the Jubilee line to go south to Waterloo station. The Green Park and Waterloo stations have elevators!

If you still decide to take the tube...stay on until Green Park station and transfer there to the Jubilee line to go south to Waterloo station. The Green Park and Waterloo stations have elevators!

This is a good tip, but only if you do not follow the sign for the Jubilee line at Green Park, which will take you through an awkward deep level passageway route, with stairs.

Follow the exit sign, go up the escalator to ticket hall level. Do NOT go through the barriers, but go down the different escalator for the Jubilee line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums