All Things St.John's, New Brunswick!

cruisexlife

Hello guys,

As I was browsing the board for things to do in Saint John, I realized that I could not find anything! So, I have composed this thread so we can all talk about ways to spend our days in Saint John, New Brunswick.

I am going in less that 6 weeks on a 4 day cruise on the Carnival Splendor. We are docked there for 10 hours. I have been there before. When I was there, we went to Saint Martin and did some local attractions on foot (ie just walked the streets for a little bit). This time, we were looking for something different.

The Big Pink Bus seems fun, being able to have a guided tour, or step off of the bus, but the reviews aren't too great, talking about hour-long lines and bad neighborhoods that the buses drive through. So I guess that's off of the table if anyone can convince me otherwise.

We have never seen the Reversing Falls, is there a way that we can check the tides before we go so we know what to expect?

The Hopewell Rocks tour seems expensive, yet well-worth it. Has anyone done it? It talks about a 2 hour ride each way, and the unpredictability of the tides. Should these things be an issue? Like I said it looks great, but it's $119 per person through Carnival.

That brings me to my last question; Are there tour operators that stand near the cruise terminal? A short city tour for $40 less than the ship sounds nice. Or if there are any independent operators that anyone has used and liked, we would like to know them too!

This isn't just about me and my future visit, let's all talk about what we've wither done, or want to do, so we can help each other make the most of our days in Saint John's! :D

I will be in St John in October. I have booked a tour with Daves Taxi Tours. Check out his web site. Obviously I am not recommending him, as I haven't done the trip yet, just letting you know that he is an independent operator who could take you to the reversing falls.

If you find good things to do please post on your return, thanks.

There is an active thread about Saint John NB in the New England forum (I asked for it to be moved to the Canada forum but it has not been done yet). Here it is:

"Saint John NB - guided or self tour?"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=77585

Another good source of info. is the Tom's Port Guide (free, no publicity, written by a fellow cruiser). Here it is:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/SaintJohn-NB-05-30-2014.pdf

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

If you can't find information on the port, it may be because of spelling. The city in New Brunswick is Saint John, with Saint always fully spelled out, and no 's. St. John's on the other hand is in Newfoundland, and the St. is always abbreviated, and there's an 's.

This is a common problem for visitors (believe me, I used to book hotel rooms and people's bookings end up in the wrong state or province all the time. Did you know there's a Denver Pennsylvania? lol)

I'm well aware, I had my mind elsewhere. But does it change the fact that I need information? To all of you out there that care more about my spelling, please, if you aren't going to respond with information, please don't respond at all. I stated what I needed very clearly, and while I understand spelling is very important, you knew enough of what I meant to correct it, which means you know enough about the city to answer my question. Thank you.

Edited by cruisexlife

We toured the city on our own, including taking a public bus to see the reversing falls. You can find out the tide schedule ahead of time so that you'll be there at the right time. (Also look at the tide schedule if your cruise goes to Bar Harbor so you can plan to walk on the bar.)

I'm well aware, I had my mind elsewhere. But does it change the fact that I need information? To all of you out there that care more about my spelling, please, if you aren't going to respond with information, please don't respond at all. I stated what I needed very clearly, and while I understand spelling is very important, you knew enough of what I meant to correct it, which means you know enough about the city to answer my question. Thank you.

Here's a piece of advice for you, people who live in Saint John don't like it when you call it St. John's.

As for the tide schedule, that can easily be searched online. Personally Reversing Falls isn't that great. The Rocks, though, are pretty cool to see.

A City tour would be a waste of time.

Here's a piece of advice for you, people who live in Saint John don't like it when you call it St. John's.

As for the tide schedule, that can easily be searched online. Personally Reversing Falls isn't that great. The Rocks, though, are pretty cool to see.

A City tour would be a waste of time.

Again, I'm well aware of the correct spelling. I wasn't defending myself as much as I was stating that I needed information and that's not the discussion of the matter. I understand that, it was just a small error. It is spelled correctly in my signature. It was spelled correctly in the body of my thread.

We are considering renting a car, can I drive myself to the Hopewell Rocks? How far are they?

The Carleton Martiello Tower, which is a National Historic Site of Canada, sits above the city of Saint John, and the views from that height are wonderful.

IMG_4163-S.jpg

IMG_4154-S.jpg

We went on a ship-sponsored photography tour, and in addition to the above site, we went to the reversing falls on the Saint John River in the morning and again in the afternoon so we could see the difference (but I really couldn't see any difference).

We also visited a small cemetery and the very colorful Public Market nearby:

IMG_4190-S.jpg

The view from the ship:

IMG_4210-S.jpg

The Carleton Martiello Tower, which is a National Historic Site of Canada, sits above the city of Saint John, and the views from that height are wonderful.

IMG_4163-S.jpg

IMG_4154-S.jpg

We went on a ship-sponsored photography tour, and in addition to the above site, we went to the reversing falls on the Saint John River in the morning and again in the afternoon so we could see the difference (but I really couldn't see any difference).

We also visited a small cemetery and the very colorful Public Market nearby:

IMG_4190-S.jpg

The view from the ship:

IMG_4210-S.jpg

Wow, these are some great pictures! Thanks so much! I'll add that to our itinerary!

Hopewell Rocks is a two hour from the port. Amazing at low tide or when you have enough time to see low and high tide but not great if you are only going to be there at high tide. Check the tide schedule to make sure. You can drive but part of the route (40minutes)is a two lane winding country road.

There are many quaint little pubs and a few microbreweries within 5 minutes walk from the ship. Also within 10 minutes the city market, loyalist burial ground, nb museum, lots of neat little shops and examples of unique architecture.

The reversing falls is only really, really impressive when the tide is coming in and pushing the river backwards creating some pretty impressive whirlpools. This is about a 30 minute walk.

It is a very small city core area and easy to get around.

People are very, very friendly but do appreciate good manners and pleasantness in return. Enjoy!

Edited by mcgratru

Again, I'm well aware of the correct spelling. I wasn't defending myself as much as I was stating that I needed information and that's not the discussion of the matter. I understand that, it was just a small error. It is spelled correctly in my signature. It was spelled correctly in the body of my thread.

We are considering renting a car, can I drive myself to the Hopewell Rocks? How far are they?

I know you spelled it right in the body of the message, just making the suggestion for when you are talking to people.

You would need a minimum 6 hours for a trip to the Rocks. 4 hours total driving time with at least a couple of hours to explore as long as the tides are with you.

You could drive to Fredericton, the capital, and explore that area. It takes about an hour to drive from SJ to Fredericton.

I'm sorry, it's impossible for me know know whether you're well aware, or whether you're going to get off the ship in Saint John planning to go get screeched in on George Street (although I know how to spell both, this is the only tourist thing I know about St. John's)

I didn't bother answering your questions because Jolie Cruise had already linked you to a very helpful post.

You mention your concern for reviews that mention bad neighbourhoods. There are neighbourhoods in Saint John that are poor, which is sometimes exacerbated by the fact that many of our houses can be over a hundred years old and require different upkeep than newer construction. That can make a neighbourhood look shabbier than it is. I personally would never hesitate to drive through any area of Saint John, and I'm a paranoid person.

Yes, you can check the tide schedule by googling "reversing falls tide schedule". I think the best time to be there is about 2 hours after low tide, but there are other times that work well. You don't want to be there at slack tide. There was a restaurant called The Falls that had a lookout on the roof that has closed in the last few months. They've moved down the street a bit and are sharing a space with another restaurant called Boaz. I've never been there, but I assume they have a viewing spot as well. Alternatively, you could go to the lookout on Fallsview Avenue off Douglas Avenue, but the paper mill is right across the river. This is actually my favourite spot to go watch the falls, because there are a few tiny islands that birds roost on and kayakers sometimes show up (and occasionally have to be rescued, because that's not an easy feat).

Like someone said up thread, it's a minimum of 4 hours round trip on the highway to the Hopewell Rocks. I've never been there personally.

I don't know about tour operators near the terminal - when a ship is in town, I avoid driving on Water Street because of the number of pedestrians. I also have no idea on independent operators, having never had to pay for a tour here ;)

Hopewell Rocks is a two hour from the port. Amazing at low tide or when you have enough time to see low and high tide but not great if you are only going to be there at high tide. Check the tide schedule to make sure. You can drive but part of the route (40minutes)is a two lane winding country road.

There are many quaint little pubs and a few microbreweries within 5 minutes walk from the ship. Also within 10 minutes the city market, loyalist burial ground, nb museum, lots of neat little shops and examples of unique architecture.

The reversing falls is only really, really impressive when the tide is coming in and pushing the river backwards creating some pretty impressive whirlpools. This is about a 30 minute walk.

It is a very small city core area and easy to get around.

People are very, very friendly but do appreciate good manners and pleasantness in return. Enjoy!

Thanks so much, I'll begin incroperating this into my day. Thanks!

I'm sorry, it's impossible for me know know whether you're well aware, or whether you're going to get off the ship in Saint John planning to go get screeched in on George Street (although I know how to spell both, this is the only tourist thing I know about St. John's)

I didn't bother answering your questions because Jolie Cruise had already linked you to a very helpful post.

You mention your concern for reviews that mention bad neighbourhoods. There are neighbourhoods in Saint John that are poor, which is sometimes exacerbated by the fact that many of our houses can be over a hundred years old and require different upkeep than newer construction. That can make a neighbourhood look shabbier than it is. I personally would never hesitate to drive through any area of Saint John, and I'm a paranoid person.

Yes, you can check the tide schedule by googling "reversing falls tide schedule". I think the best time to be there is about 2 hours after low tide, but there are other times that work well. You don't want to be there at slack tide. There was a restaurant called The Falls that had a lookout on the roof that has closed in the last few months. They've moved down the street a bit and are sharing a space with another restaurant called Boaz. I've never been there, but I assume they have a viewing spot as well. Alternatively, you could go to the lookout on Fallsview Avenue off Douglas Avenue, but the paper mill is right across the river. This is actually my favourite spot to go watch the falls, because there are a few tiny islands that birds roost on and kayakers sometimes show up (and occasionally have to be rescued, because that's not an easy feat).

Like someone said up thread, it's a minimum of 4 hours round trip on the highway to the Hopewell Rocks. I've never been there personally.

I don't know about tour operators near the terminal - when a ship is in town, I avoid driving on Water Street because of the number of pedestrians. I also have no idea on independent operators, having never had to pay for a tour here ;)

Well, if my thread title said "New Brunswick", you know where I'm going ;)

Thanks for all of your help, I'll relay this to Jacqui, my travel buddy, and we'll pick what we're going to do. Thanks!

Well, if my thread title said "New Brunswick", you know where I'm going ;)

Thanks for all of your help, I'll relay this to Jacqui, my travel buddy, and we'll pick what we're going to do. Thanks!

You do, but you'd be surprised how many don't.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well I for one appreciate the spelling lesson. This will be my first trip to Canada and I appreciate the info, it's very helpful ... and explains the varied results I'm getting in my research!

It certainly would affect your searches ;). You would be amazed at how many people have ended up in Newfoundland instead of New Brunswick after asking for a ticket to St. John's instead of Saint John! :)

Ending up in Newfoundland would be better than what happened to a dentist I went to. He (or his receptionist) tried to book a ticket to Granada (Spain) and ended up flying to Grenada (Caribbean island)! Spelling and geography DO matter!

Edited by roothy123

• 1 month later...

They used to have Reversing Falls Jet Boat Tours but sadly closed a couple years ago. not sure if they kept the site seeing boats open. we enjoyed the shopping. Right outside the market a lovely woman was doing caritures on wood, which was our favorite souvenir. I remember excellent coffee in the market.