Help with train, please. North Wales, Llandudno to Dover port

bobalink

Hello!

We plan to visit North Wales for a few days prior to boarding our cruise ship at Dover in May 2018.

We're staying in Llandudno and want to take the train to Dover. We would need to arrive in Dover by 2pm on a Saturday.

Then, from the Dover train station, I think we would need a taxi to get to the port, is that correct?

I am hoping some of you who have experience with trains can help me figure out the best route.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

I looked at the Virgin Trains website and I think I have it somewhat figured out. I put in some dates (not actual dates because it's too far out) and this is the route they suggested:

07:38 Depart Llandudno Junction (Virgin Trains)

10:36 Arrive London Euston

10:36 London Euston (Tube)

11:37 Arrive London St Pancras International

11:37 Depart London St Pancras International (Southeastern Train)

12:41 Arrive Dover Priory

Does this look correct? Is this the best route?

Thanks

Thats the only practical way to do it. Only thing I would say is forget the tube...if you haven't got much luggage, its only a 10 minute walk along the road, otherwise just grab a black cab. The other point is timing. As you can't check an actual date yet, I can't check the engineering works scheduled for that weekend. Often at weekends sections of track get closed and the trains replaced by coaches which obviously take longer. It might be worth considering travelling on the Friday just in case, but if you do, travel as early as you can, because Friday afternoons on the trains are very busy.

Simon

It's too early yet to be sure of train times & prices, you'll need to check about 10 weeks out.

But working on a random Saturday in December....................................

Firstly there's two potential stations to start from, Llandudno and Llandudno Junction.

Llandudno is in town & handiest for most Llandudno hotels.

There's a branch line which shuttles between Llandudno town station & Llandudno Junction which is on the main line to London & elsewhere. Those local trains are mainly timetabled to connect with the London (Euston) trains, or it's just a short 10 - 14 minute taxi ride from Llandudno to Llandudno Junction station.

The train time that Bobalink has suggested (ex-Llandudno Junction at 07.38, or ex-Llandudno at 07.08 to connect with that train) is certainly the easiest - the bulk of the journey is in one hop from Llandudno Junction to London Euston.

But it's also the most expensive at £100 per person.

The alternative involves a train from Llandudno (town) to Chester, change there for a train to Crewe, change there for a train to London Euston. An extra change of train (two extra changes if your easiest start point is Llandudno Junction) but a fare of only £49 per person, so a saving of £100 for a couple.

Total journey time is about the same for both routes.

For both of those routes, those prices are for advance ticket purchase only and are only valid for the train time that you choose.

Those fares are no different starting from Llandudno or Llandudno Junction.

I don't know how easy the tube (underground) between London Euston and London St Pancras, but as Simon says the two stations are walkable even with rolling luggage for most people - or a short hop in a black cab.

Split-ticketing.

Sometimes it's cheaper to book separate tickets for different parts of a train journey, such as Llandudno to London Euston and London St Pancras to Dover Priory. Sometimes it's cheaper even to book separate tickets for different parts of a journey on a single train, such as for the train from Llandudno Junction to Euston you buy tickets from Llandudno Junction to Milton Keynes and from Milton Keynes to London Euston - you don't have to get off at Milton Keynes.

I've checked, and currently there are no split-ticket savings on either of the routes, but it might be worthwhile checking closer to the time. Let one of the split-ticketing websites do the leg-work. This is a very reputable one - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/split-cheap-train-tickets/

I find the National Rail website easier to use than those of the different operating companies, but the information & pricing is (should be) the same

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Fare-pricing on UK trains is an over-complicated maze, but the different prices for broadly the same journey can be huge, so it's worth the effort.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thank you, very much, Simon and John Bull. Your responses are exactly what I need to help me figure out the details.

I didn't realize how close together Euston and St Pancras are, so avoiding the Tube may be a good idea.

Also, I was not aware of split-ticketing. I'm a California girl who never takes a train unless I'm in Europe.

Your suggestions are very helpful!

Thank you,

Bobbie

Re the walk between Euston and St Pancras - by the time you have negotiated stairs/escalators/lifts and the long walks underground you will almost certainly be better off walking (few if any steps etc.)

The weather is always an unknown factor of course, but if you are coming from Wales you should be acclimatised to rain by then...:)

Thank you, very much, Simon and John Bull. Your responses are exactly what I need to help me figure out the details.

I didn't realize how close together Euston and St Pancras are, so avoiding the Tube may be a good idea.

Also, I was not aware of split-ticketing. I'm a California girl who never takes a train unless I'm in Europe.

Your suggestions are very helpful!

Thank you,

Bobbie

If you are travelling May 2018, you won't be able to book train tickets until 12 weeks prior (about Feb or March), so your best bet is to come back here and remind us of your plans ('cos we are all getting on a bit and our memories aren't what they were;)) and we'll help you iron out the details.

Simon

It is a reasonably pleasant 15 minute walk between the two stations, with wide and flat pavements (sidewalks).

Thanks, Bob. Sounds like a good plan!

Re the walk between Euston and St Pancras - by the time you have negotiated stairs/escalators/lifts and the long walks underground you will almost certainly be better off walking (few if any steps etc.)

The weather is always an unknown factor of course, but if you are coming from Wales you should be acclimatised to rain by then...:)

Thanks, Steve. I will be sure and pack an umbrella and rain jacket!

If you are travelling May 2018, you won't be able to book train tickets until 12 weeks prior (about Feb or March), so your best bet is to come back here and remind us of your plans ('cos we are all getting on a bit and our memories aren't what they were;)) and we'll help you iron out the details.

Simon

Okay, thanks, Simon. As the date gets closer, I will post again.