Heathrow plane change

We are flying from the U.S. to Berlin on British Air. The flight calls for a plane change at Heathrow. which most likely involves a terminal change. This would happen on June 16

When I look at the time allowed for that change, I get two options. One option is for a one hour, forty minute change and the other option is for a four hour, twenty minute change.

I would probably say that the under two hours is unrealistic, but the over four hours is a bit long.

Any comments?

If both your flights are on British Airways, then you shouldn't have to change terminals - they should both operate out of Terminal 5.

The 1:40 connection is probably doable, but tight. I would probably book the 4:20 connection, but then I'm used to amusing myself during long layovers at airports... :)

If both your flights are on British Airways, then you shouldn't have to change terminals - they should both operate out of Terminal 5.

The 1:40 connection is probably doable, but tight. I would probably book the 4:20 connection, but then I'm used to amusing myself during long layovers at airports... :)

Not all BA flights go out of Terminal 5. I know they also use terminal 3.

Perhaps the OP could tell us which terminals he will be changing between.

Sounds like that will be a T3 to T5 change. Minimum connection is quoted as 90 minutes for that one (assuming ticketed through), so the first option is just "legal". I'd be happy with it, it's more a matter of personal comfort and confidence.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ah, I didn't know where you were flying from, thus assumed you were arriving at T5 - just checked that the TXL flight would be out of T5.

In which case, I'd definitely take the longer connection - it's a looong way to T5 from T3.

I changed terminal twice in quick succession at Heathrow, having been misinformed about my departure terminal. Each change took 40 minutes including security. Can't remember which terminals, but it was the BA departures to USA vs. American Airlines departures to USA.

If you are booked 'through', Your checked luggage will be taken across for you and if time is tight, there will be BA staff there to whisk you through. If the two legs were booked separately, you would definitely need the extra time.

Last time we flew into LHR, we were a little late landing. There were BA people waiting to take some people over to catch their flight to Scotland.

I second Bob++ comments above regarding 'late landing'. I've flown BA from Toronto to Heathrow quite a few times and almost always landed later than scheduled. A few times it was weather related, but generally it was overall airspace/airport congestion that resulted in us circling southern England one or more times before we could land. Personally I would take the longer layover and have the peace of mind. There are lots of eating/shopping opportunities to kill time in Heathrow including good drugstores for any forgotten supplies!

• 3 weeks later...

We have had the misfortune to change planes/change terminals at LHR several times over the past few years. We try to avoid it at all costs.

Our experiences in changing terminals is that we have done it in one hour, gate to gate so to speak, and it has taken as long as 2.5-3 hours. The latter was when there was a security alert of some sort and the process to go through security was very slow.

I am of two minds. SInce you are on BA all the way through it might be worth looking at how many connecting BA flights there are to Berlin subsequent to your scheduled arrival at LHR. If there are several it might be worth booking on the earlier one in the knowledge that BA will simply re-schedule you on the the next connection out (assuming it is not a busy travel time). If you were connecting to a different airline I would recommend a longer connection time.

Edited by iancal

Thank you all for your comments

We decided to fly one day earlier then originally planned and the connection time is now one hour and 55 minutes, so we booked that one.. Land at Heathrow at 1:35 PM and flight to Berlin leaves at 3:30 PM

Iancal, there is another flight after ours to Berlin, so that would be our back-up plan

Once again, thanks to all