P&O Cruises

Vic The Parrot

Anyone sail on P&O?

A friend invited me to join him on the Oriana, and this would be my 1st time sailing with that

venerable line. I hear it's geared more to English tastes,and more sedate.

But I won't have any problem with sedate!

Just put me in a deckchair by the pool, and I won't complain. icon_cool.gif

16 - HAL

10 - Cunard

4 - Home Lines

2 - NCL

2 - Royal Viking Line

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

You might get a better response on the P&O board.

I know quite a few Brits who like P&O very much, but I can't actually think of a single American I know of who has actually been on a P&O cruise... P&O is not actively marketed here in the US, and has not been for years. That said Karen Segboer (CupCaked) took a tour of ORIANA a few years ago and was quite impressed, you can read her review here. Also make sure to take a look at the excellent virtual tour on P&O's site, it should give you a very good idea of what she looks like inside.

Personally I think she looks like a beautiful ship; I don't know much about onboard product though!

If you do go please do report back, I'd be very interesting to hear what an American thinks of P&O!

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Hey Doug

Thanks for the tip!

Where is the P&O board, anyway? LOL

I looked all over CC, and only found this spot.

Anyway, thanks for the link. If I do book,I'll

certainly let you know!

vic

16 - HAL

10 - Cunard

4 - Home Lines

2 - NCL

2 - Royal Viking Line

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vic The Parrot:

Where is the P&O board, anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cruise Lines P-Z, it's the first one listed... Right above Princess.

Hope the link helps.

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Host Doug

American here, (although my dad was a Brit) and twice on P&O, both times Oriana (the old, not new).

First time, down the Left Coast, Vancouver BC to Seattle, to San Francisco, fall 1964, in a Court Cabin.

Second time, Christmas 1970, when P&O was trying to compete with Princess (before buying it), 10 nights roundtrip to Mexican Riviera from San Francisco. That time, down in the bowels of the ship in a 4 berth cabin w/o facilities.

Would very much like to take the new Oriana through the Suez - someday!

Michael

Host Doug - I've been fortunate enough to have done 3 half-world cruises with P&O over the years, and there have always been a smattering of Americans onboard - all thoroughly enjoying themselves. icon_smile.gif

Druke 1 - one of those voyages was on Canberra - and I too stayed in a Court cabin - they were a great idea!

Now that I am 'retiring' soon icon_wink.gif - I have booked another half-world voyage, Sydney to Southampton on Aurora February 2005 - 57 nights! Looking forward to it very much - and to meeting some more Americans onboard! icon_biggrin.gif

Robyn

• 8 months later...

I am a Brit living in Florida, though since I retired I tend to take long summer vacations in Europe. Of the 11 cruises my wife and I have been on 2 were on Cunard QE2 in 1984 and 1990 (both Atlantic crossings) and all the rest bar one were on US cruise lines since 2001. These include RCCL, Carnival, Holland America, Princess and Celebrity. The one exception was a Canary Islands cruise we did in June 2004 on P&O's Oceana. This used to be Ocean Princess until it was transferred to P&O. So the ship is of Princess origin rather than P&O but it was manned as a P&O ship with British officers and an Indian crew from Goa.

In our experience the ship was every bit as good as the US cruise lines we have been on, as you would expect from an ex-Princess ship. The main difference is the food, the restaurant service and the entertainment. The food caters to British rather than American tastes and if you don't like the entrees on offer the alternatives are only chicken or salmon, not steak. The restaurant service is very efficient but also very reserved. The waiters greeted us by name each day, but would not otherwise start a conversation, and even if prompted would not pursue one. I'm not sure if this is Goan culture or a P&O training/policy matter. The nearest equivalent we have come across are the Filipino waiters on Holland America who can also be quite reserved. So if you enjoy a more fun atmosphere such as Carnival or RCCL you will not find it on P&O. The entertainment also caters to British tastes. I still have problems understanding America comics, so this was not a problem to us! One other difference was the depth and quality of the port lectures, covering the history, culture and geography of a port rather than the US cruise line's obsession with duty free shopping.

I hope that helps. The differences are not that extreme and anyone who enjoys Princess or Holland America would feel at home in my view. P&O's food is nowhere near Celebrity standards even if their ships are, so foodies are the ones most likely to feel it. Drinks by the way are a lot cheaper than on American ships even with the current exchange rate.

We enjoyed our P&O cruise and are now actively planning a New Zealand trip using a future P&O world cruise because their world cruise prices are a bargain compared to the few US cruise line offerings.

Archived