Looking for recommendations for 2 adults - 3 kids (9, 6, and 4)

TechHoney

I’d like to start saving up and planning for a cruise for our family after the youngest (due in Oct) is potty trained. I’m assuming around 4 for that.

I’d like us all to stay in the same cabin / suite. And it would be nice for them to sail free or lower cost.

Which are the best lines for this type of arrangement and what should we expect for cost? Likely 5 or 7 day. Time of year is irrelevant, we can accommodate any time.

I know NCL, Royal, and Disney are mentioned a lot but I’d like to hear personal experiences.

I understand pricing four years out is hard but I’m looking for a +/- $1,500 type range. Like should I be saving up $5,000, $10,000, etc.

They like Disney but that’s not the be all end all. Hubby drinks very little. I don’t drink. We’re not big on night life. So it’s definitely a family event and for us to relax while the kids enjoy camps.

Thank you for your help!

Things can be so different four years from now. Finding cabins for 5 will be difficult. Yes, they are out there, but not many. And often the two older would have to share a sofabed. Just because a suite has more space doesn't mean it will be rated to hold five guests. But there are a lot of new ships coming out in the next few years, so I would not try to plan anything now. Your price range...Were you thinking $1500 for all five? Or each? EM

Were you thinking $1500 for all five? Or each? EM

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant more like someone saying: “it cost us $7,500 for five people on RC” so then I’d budget $9,000 (which is +$1,500 more than what it cost someone else).

I don’t expect amounts to be spot on, I’d pad. I’m looking to see what I should start saving. Saving a bit each month is less painless than a big chunk. I’m the breadwinner since my husband is a disabled retired veteran who isn’t able to work so budgeting is important to us.

I'd start by looking at ships/cabins now...do mock bookings and see what the prices are now..then added about 1/2 more.... time of year can vary the prices by quite a bit.....over holidays is always pricier than in "off" seasons.

The "kid's sail free" thing isn't always the best option....they tend to inflate the 1st 2 passenger prices to make up for not charging for the kids!....so don't only look for that! Many times, booking 2 connecting cabins will be less than booking a suite of some sort.

I'd start by looking at ships/cabins now...do mock bookings and see what the prices are now..then added about 1/2 more.... time of year can vary the prices by quite a bit.....over holidays is always pricier than in "off" seasons.

The "kid's sail free" thing isn't always the best option....they tend to inflate the 1st 2 passenger prices to make up for not charging for the kids!....so don't only look for that! Many times, booking 2 connecting cabins will be less than booking a suite of some sort.

That's very helpful. Thank you. I had thought about the adjoining cabins as well.

We haven't gone on our Allure of the Seas (RCI) cruise yet (May 27th), but I do have a family of 5 (husband, myself, and kids 11, 8, and 6) and we used the kids sale free option. We got a grand suite with a roll away bed so it would sleep 5. The pull-out couch is only a double bed. We booked late and connecting rooms were not available. However, if I remember correctly, if we had connecting rooms, only two of our kids would have sailed free. So make sure you get the specifics of any promotions they are advertising. Before I give what I paid, I will also say the grand suite does come with extra amenities that non-suites don't have but I felt the extra price was worth it. The room cost us $4300 (about $860/person). After hotels before the trip (we are going two days early to visit the Kennedy Space Center on the drive to the port), excursions, fuel, food, parking and drink packages we are looking at $6000.

Another major cost is traveling to and from the port. To save airfare, I would suggest looking at the options sailing from New Orleans.

Also, depending on the cruise line, deposits are refundable so you can reserve a cruise that fits your needs and budget but still keep watch for a better deal.

Also want to add that since you are planning several years out, there are options for saving on cruises by accumulating credit card points and being a stockholder. Check out all the options on bringing down the cost.

And do not forget to factor in the cost of gratuities for 5. Not a negligible amount.

We are booked on the Carnival Dream for Jan 2019, two adults and three kids (9,6,5) and including prepaid gratuities, it was about 2800. One Deluxe Oceanview with two twins (can covert to king), two upper pullmans, and a single sofa bed. You can save a lot of money if you go outside of normal school break times, a big benefit to homeschooling :-)

We are sailing to Bermuda next month on NCL in a family suite without balcony. We're taking 2 kids, but price with 3 kids in the room with us would have been about $6500. It has a king(?) sized bed, a double sleeper sofa and a double murphy bed so it will sleep up to 6. Bermuda is not the cheapest destination, but because we can drive to the port in an hour and a half we save a lot by not having to purchase plane tickets, hotel the night before, etc. NCL also has family oceanview rooms on some ships that are smaller but considerably cheaper and sleep up to 5.

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t discount the “old people” lines. We took the kids on their first cruise at 7 and 3 on celebrity and had a family room (sleeps 5) and the kids had a blast. Their prices tend to be about $200 less than Disney and you can usually get a perk or two included in the fare. I think our cruise to Alaska next year is running about $6200 for the four of us in concierge class and we chose drink packages as our perk. The kids were given non-alc packages as their perk.

I don’t know where you live, but if you can drive to a port you’ll certainly be able to save on airfare that way.

As someone else mentioned, you can also get a credit card that will give you points or miles for whichever line you decide on or for flights. If you are careful to pay the balance in full every month, you don’t even have to worry about it and still be getting the points. Four years or more is a fantastic amount of time to save and it’s great to see someone planning responsibly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

A lot is going to depend on your personal tastes. For example, for easy, we are taking the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore next March with a balcony for us and our 14 yo, 20 yo + GF in an inside for $3500. We are driving distance to the port and while the first and last days will be cool, the kids will still have a blast. They aren’t high maintenance and short of rain, they will put on sweatshirts and be outside. Younger kids like yours will have all day activities in the kids club. We don’t by them soda cards so our only ok board expenses will be tips ($13 pp/PD) and our alcohol. A typical guided shore excursion will average say $75 pp or less depending on what you do. If we just walk or ride to the beach we will spend about $100.

Compare that to $5000 for the same balcony and inside for 4 (GF not going) on Princess Mexican Riviera - with airfare from DC and AIBP and $150 OBC for kids - which will just offset the beverage package on Princess which we do get them because it includes shakes and daiquiris.

So that gives you and idea of the low end of the scale - with 2 rooms which is a god-send. The kids can have their own bathroom and place to play...it would be less for you if you did connecting insides.

So my advice is if this is something you need to save for and plan for - sort of a trip of a life time thing - save as much as you can and re-evaluate in 2 years when the lines will start posting. This is truly the easiest and most const effective way to travel with kids. How often you will travel will be dictated by how expensive a cruise you take - my estimates for Disney have run 2xs a Carnival cruise or more - and we would rather take 2 cruises than 1!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked on the Allure of the Seas...we are staying in an oceanview balcony for 2,200 for all of us. When you have more than 4, it takes some creativity. Ironically, newer ships are often a better option...older ships weren't designed for more than 4 people but they have now figured out every family isn't that size. Lots of creative options in all price ranges on newer ships.

Royal Caribbean has the best kids sail free IMO as they don't seem to inflate prices and all kids sail free when booked as a 3rd or higher guest, not just the first 2. They have rooms that sleep up to 6.

I know some people would never, ever stay 5 in a regular room, but it isn't an issue for us...we camp all the time and stay in one room for our annual extended family vacation. Our kids are young enough they don't need privacy in the bathroom and we have the balcony after they sleep.

We are booked on the Allure of the Seas...we are staying in an oceanview balcony for 2,200 for all of us. When you have more than 4, it takes some creativity. Ironically, newer ships are often a better option...older ships weren't designed for more than 4 people but they have now figured out every family isn't that size. Lots of creative options in all price ranges on newer ships.

Royal Caribbean has the best kids sail free IMO as they don't seem to inflate prices and all kids sail free when booked as a 3rd or higher guest, not just the first 2. They have rooms that sleep up to 6.

I know some people would never, ever stay 5 in a regular room, but it isn't an issue for us...we camp all the time and stay in one room for our annual extended family vacation. Our kids are young enough they don't need privacy in the bathroom and we have the balcony after they sleep.

How far out did you book to be able to get a balcony room for 5? I am not having any luck. Do you have any tips to get 5 in one cabin?

Last March I took my kids on 4 night cruise on the brilliance of the seas out of Tampa. I believe they also do 5 night cruises on that ship. We had a family ocean view cabin and it was amazing. I have never been in a cabin that big.

It had a living room area with a sofa bed, arm chair and table. There were also 2 dressers under the windows, a desk area and tv and fridge. Then an area with a large (king:queen size bed) that could be separated from the living room area with a curtain, that area also had some closet space. Then there was a separate area with bunk beds and more closet space that can also be closed off with a curtain.

Go on you tube and search for brilliance of the seas family ocean view cabin and you will find tours of the cabin.

It was not very expensive since it’s an ocean view. But you do usually have to call to book and book far in advance. We were lucky to get it.

My kids loved the kids club on the ship. There is mini golf, rock wall, small water slide etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums