1st time on RCCL - Anthem to Bermuda - would you mind answering some questions?

Husband and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary on the Anthem to Bermuda in September. We have sailed other cruise lines, found something to like on almost all of them, and are Platinum with DCL. Would have chosen DCL again, but hey, it's our 30th anniversary, and I want something new :D, so we are going with the Star class for less than concierge on DCL. Saving money is important, right?:halo:

I am trying to find out a few things about RCCL, and Anthem and the Royal Genie stuff, but I have questions that I can't find the answers to. Perhaps someone here can help?

1. Reading through other people's posts, I saw that people tip waiters at every meal. Is this the norm? Isn't that included in the tips? If I eat at a specialty restaurant or at the Coastal Kitchen, am I supposed to take money for the waiters? If so, how much? And for all the meals, or just dinner?

2. Is there a list somewhere that shows which eating places have a charge for Star class? I can't figure out which eateries are included and which aren't with that level. Or does level not matter, and the for-charge eateries are the same for everyone?

3. I see that room service is included, and also meals from restaurants as room service. Does this include the meals from specialty restaurants or just the Coastal Kitchen?

4. Can I eat in the main dining rooms if I am in Star class, or are we only allowed to eat in the Coastal Kitchen?

5. Does the room have a doorbell for the Royal Genie to use, or do they just walk in after knocking? We have a 2-story room, so I am not sure if we would hear a knock all the time. Once had a butler on the NCL Pearl that seemed to have an aversion to the doorbell and would just walk into our room whenever, and was not bothered at all the time he came in with the afternoon snacks as I was standing in the room in only my underwear. I, however, was bothered! Prefer to avoid that on RCCL.

6. Are there discounts in the onboard shops for the Star class? Or a free photo or something?

Finally, if you have sailed either NCL Haven, MSC Yacht Club, or DCL Concierge level, what about the RCCL Star class stood out for you that you wish the other cruise lines offered?

Thanks for the help! Looking forward to a great cruise on a new line for us!

5. Does the room have a doorbell for the Royal Genie to use, or do they just walk in after knocking? We have a 2-story room, so I am not sure if we would hear a knock all the time. Once had a butler on the NCL Pearl that seemed to have an aversion to the doorbell and would just walk into our room whenever, and was not bothered at all the time he came in with the afternoon snacks as I was standing in the room in only my underwear. I, however, was bothered! Prefer to avoid that on RCCL.

So let me see if I understand this...your butler on another line would continually walk into your cabin unannounced and would catch you in your underwear. You were 'bothered'. Did it ever cross your mind to put an immediate end to this situation after the first occurrence? You DO have a say in this matter, you know. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So let me see if I understand this...your butler on another line would continually walk into your cabin unannounced and would catch you in your underwear. You were 'bothered'. Did it ever cross your mind to put an immediate end to this situation after the first occurrence? You DO have a say in this matter, you know. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank you for your concern:confused:.

I was not expecting to expound upon that incident, but I will say it was a long time ago, it was my family's first NCL cruise and first foray into the concierge class of cruising, we were not as savvy on "chain of command" as we are many years later, and it was not handled well by NCL at the time but I am sure they have improved their customer service since then. I hope that alleviates what I shall assume is your desire for clarification, despite your intended sarcasm.

• 2 weeks later...

You will love Star Class! At least, we did. Have done the equivalent on NCL with a suite in the Haven and this experience surpassed that one!

We did leave some tips at the specialty restaurants. The only charge we had at the end was for the unlimited class package at the gym for 2 of us. No charge for anything anywhere. We didn't buy anything in the gift shops nor did we buy the candy and such at the Patisserie (where they serve Starbucks).

They will pretty much bring you anything you want via room service. If it's not on the menu, they will take care of it. We ordered breakfast from the TV menu one day, the called and asked more questions and ended up making us what we wanted (vs what was on the menu).

We never bothered with the main dining rooms. There didn't seem to be a point to it.

Yes, there is a doorbell. :) Everyone used it.

You have more than just the Genie. There is a team of 2 to clean the room twice a day, 2 who deliver your snacks, and a bar tender who comes by every afternoon for mixed drinks. Plus you have access to the suite lounge for snacks and drinks. And all the water and soda that they leave in your room (plus a bottle of champagne and a bottle of wine).

The first night, my very healthy fitness oriented daughter could not find a piece of fruit on board. She mentioned that to our Genie and we ended up with a big bowl of fresh fruit in the room that was replenished at least once a day.

I don't recall if there were any special discounts in the shops. You will receive gifts from your Genie at the end of the cruise. We also received gifts for our anniversary and had various celebrations for our anniversary at specialty restaurants that were planned by the Genie.

The Genie is amazing. He or she will make sure everything goes smoothly from getting off and on board, to getting seating quickly at a restaurant, seating at the shows, etc.