Age group

JellyBean07

My sister who is in her mid fifties will be on the Equinox in 2 weeks. Can anyone tell me what the average age group is?

We just got off the Equinox yesterday. We were shocked about the number of unsupervised kids on board. Literally running up and down the stairs, the hallways and playing in the elevators. Also taking over the buffet. These were kids old enough to know better. No parents in sight.

We had a great cruise but will never book another one during school break time.

There were plenty of older people on the ship but definitely more (unsupervised) school age kids.

We just got off the Equinox yesterday. We were shocked about the number of unsupervised kids on board. Literally running up and down the stairs, the hallways and playing in the elevators. Also taking over the buffet. These were kids old enough to know better. No parents in sight.

We had a great cruise but will never book another one during school break time.

There were plenty of older people on the ship but definitely more (unsupervised) school age kids.

I love kids, but now retired from College life, feel I've done my duty to God and the Queen.

No cruises during school breaks here either

hqdefault.jpg

Funny, we just got off Equinox and only ran into some kids running up and downstairs and in elevators a couple of times. I guess maybe we just were not in the same areas of the ship. We were actually surprised there were so few children. It was great for us. I would say that there was a wide range of ages, but it depends on the sailing. I have been on Celebrity ships that had a majority of 60+ but of course there were plenty of our age group of 40+. I would not worry too much about it.

Out of interest, what is the approximate length of the summer school break? A long time ago, I had the reverse experience. I chose a Florida hotel with a children's program end of August to find my son was the only child there.

Varies all over the US. East Coast normally gets out end of June & goes back first week of September (after US Labor Day). We’re in CO & our kids normally get our middle of May & go back middle of August. You can really never tell

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My sister who is in her mid fifties will be on the Equinox in 2 weeks. Can anyone tell me what the average age group is?

The shorter the cruise the younger the average age. Most cruises 14 days or more the average age is 65 or more.

Summer and or Spring vacation periods that have 7 day cruises are less have more children and younger families.

Out of interest, what is the approximate length of the summer school break? A long time ago, I had the reverse experience. I chose a Florida hotel with a children's program end of August to find my son was the only child there.

As others have said the start dates vary. Here in Marion County Florida, first day is August 13. Other Florida districts I checked ranged from August 10 to August 24, but August 13 +/- a day or two seems most common. Our grandson in Atlanta starts August 6!

Just off the 11 night Western Mediterranean Reflection where there were unsupervised kids running around everywhere. Large groups of grade school-aged kids played tag in main spaces and frequently screamed as they ran in packs down cabin areas. One sea day morning, we heard one mother tell her 6-8 year old daughter to have fun and be sure to meet back at the cabin in time for dinner at 7pm. This send off was at the “Game On” area where the little girl joined up with a few other young kids/no adult in site.

We were on the 7/7 Equinox sailing. I would say there were far fewer children than I would have expected for a summer cruise. I seem to recall a bunch more on our summer Summit cruise to Bermuda. Neither had anything approaching the number on our RCI and Carnival cruises.

Coming back to the original question, my wife & I are 52 and felt we were squarely in the middle of the adult demographic. There were plenty of people staying up late to drink/dance/gamble, but nothing too over the top.

Noting the Canadian hometown on the OP's profile I also felt this cruise had more of an international flavor to the passenger mix than what we remember from Summit to Bermuda (a very heavy tilt towards NY/NJ) or Solstice to Alaska.

If you book in the summer, expect lots of kids on short cruises(7-10 days). If you can wing it in September, when the kids go back to school, and the parents are back to work from summer vacations, then you'll find quieter cruises. Rule of thumb is, the shorter the cruise the cheaper the cruise, the younger the crowd. The longer the cruise, the more expensive the cruise, the older the crowd.

If you book in the summer, expect lots of kids on short cruises(7-10 days). If you can wing it in September, when the kids go back to school, and the parents are back to work from summer vacations, then you'll find quieter cruises. Rule of thumb is, the shorter the cruise the cheaper the cruise, the younger the crowd. The longer the cruise, the more expensive the cruise, the older the crowd.

True, the exception proving the rule being 14 nights in the Western Med in July and August ! Expect big under 65 crowds then.

Thanks to everyone for info re US, especially Florida, school dates. Knowledge is power :)