Melbourne Private Tours

Regan

Does anyone know of a private tour company in Melbourne that will pick up at the Princess Dock? We will be in Melbourne on Feb 13 and are interested in a 1-2 hour tour that will include the Old Melbourne Gaol. The Princess tour to the Gaol conflicts with their Aboriginal Heritage Tour (which we will be taking in the moring, 09:15 a.m to 01:15 p.m). So, we would like to find a private tour company to use for going to the Gaol in the afternoon. There will be 4 of us. Thanks for any help you can give. Regan

Hi Regan,

I did a very quick search for short tours to the Old Melbourne Gaol and found none but that's not to say there aren't any. You could do a more thorough search yourself but here are two suggestions;

1. After your morning tour go back to the ship, have lunch then get a tram back into the city. Then get a free city tram that goes to Russell St to the Gaol. [Click here for the free City Circle tram route & attractions site]

2. Don't take the bus back to the ship after your tour. Walk or get the bus driver to drop you into the city, have lunch, then get a city tram to Russell St.

Catch any St Kilda Road and Swanston Walk tram on routes 01, 03, 05, 06, 08, 16, 22, 64, 67 and 72 and walk to Russell Street between Victoria and La Trobe or catch La Trobe Street services route 30 or the free City Circle tourist tram.

If the above sounds like too much trouble you could take a taxi from the pier.

Cheers,

Kim

Kim,

Thank you for doing the quick search and providing the suggestions. You are, truely, a wonderful source of information. Been reading your Roll Call thread, and it's help me a great deal in planning our trip. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks again, Regan

Being a native of Melbourne perhaps I can help you. The Old Melbourne Jail is on the corner of Russell and Latrobe Streets. The free city tram which is a red-brown colour goes down Latrobe Street and therefore stops outside the jail. Also the Latrobe street tram runs down there as well but is not as frequent as one would like.

Melbourne is a grid city and therefore very easily to get around. The whole city block is one mile square and is fairly flat so it makes it a very easy walking city.

As Kimba has mentioned after your City Tour why not stay in the city and have lunch. The main shopping centre is in Bourke Street which is only 2 blocks from Latrobe Street and another block along Latrobe is Russell Street. It would take you only 10 minutes at the most to walk as our city blocks are not big. You would walk up Swanston Street going north, to our lovely Public Library. In fact go in, it is free and ask to see our wonderful reading room with the magnificent glass ceiling which has just been restored.

At the Public Library which is on the corner of Swanston and Russell turn right (East) and just go up to the end of the library. The library finishes in Russell Street and on the opposite corner is the Melbourne Jail.

If you decide to go back to the ship after your morning tour catch the light rail back into the city. This goes along Bourke Street. Get off at Swanston Street and just follow the steps I mentioned above.

If you have any more queries about Melbourne ask away. The Melbourne Jail is not far from our Victoria Market which is quite an experience if you like markets. You just go down Latrobe Street, (west) two blocks to Elizabeth Street and up one block (north)to Victoria Street and that is where the Market is situated. Besides produce it sells all type of clothing etc. A lot of overseas visitors find it fascinating.

Another interesting thing to do is to go up our tallest building to the lookout. The Rialto building is the tallest in the Southern Hemisphere and is about 50 odd stories high. On a sunny day the view of Melbourne at the top is fantastic. That is situated in Collins Street, near the corner of King Street. The best way to see that from the old Melbourne Jail is to catch the free tram and get off at the corner of Spencer and Collins Street and walk one block.

Jennie.

Dear Regan

Another suggestion (IMO the Melbourne Goal is very over rated - I was truely disappointed in it) is book a FREE city walking tour with a local. toi do this go onto the city of Melbourne web site and go to tourism and there you will find a link to the Melbourne Greeters. These are locals who love their city and like to show it off to visitors. You need to prebook this tour and have it confirmed (on the web is fine). Then at the set time you will meet your guide at the downtown Visitors centre and go on a 3 hour walking tour of Melbourne. This was an excellent tour.

PS They are not even allowed to take tips from the visitors!

Enjoy your cruise and time in "Downunder" we did and our 6 weeks was way too short!

Margie,

Unfortunately the Market will be closed on Christmas Day plus everything else. On Christmas Day and Good Friday everything closes down and there is very little open. If you are here the next day- Boxing Day - the shops in the city will again be open even though it will be Sunday.

Christmas Day is a very quiet day here as everyone is visiting their friends and relatives.

Regan,

If you are looking for someone to take you around in the afternoon I would gladly help. Melbourne is a wonderful city and I am very proud of her. Last year I showed a friend from Cruise@dicts around one morning. She saw a different part of Melbourne to the tourists. The old Melbourne Jail is very historic especially for Australians as Ned Kelly was hanged there. He was a bushranger and murdered a police officer and was probably our first really "wicked" criminal.

There are plenty of sights to see around the city that are not too far away and are easy to walk to. Our wonderful lanes and arcades are great as well as some of our museums.

The reason you are not allowed to tip the guides here is that tipping is not our way of life and everyone here gets a fair wage. We never tip, only if we get good service in a restaurant and then not more than 10%. If we ladies go out together they usually don't get a tip at all.

Melboure has been voted a number of times the most liveable city in the world together with Vancouver and I have to agree as we have a wonderful lifestyle with great culture, good food and climate.

Jennie

Jenni,

I have read that Melbourne has a hop on and off tour bus. Is this the case? We have done these in other cities and find them a fun and informative way to get to see a city. Also, it sounds like there is a tram from the pier into the city. By "tram" do you mean, bus, streetcar, train?

Carol

For Sunday, January 16th Sapphire 8 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

I've read that the Melbourne Zoo is a MustSee. Is there a way to get there via tram/bus/train? Also plan to take a Melbourne River Cruise. How close is that to where the ship docks? Other than taxi how could I get there? How far a walk would it be? You are all so very helpful and informative.

Many thanks, grazie, Scampi:)

Dear Jennie,

We will be in Melbourne on February 09. We want to go to Vic Market but also want to see the highlights of Melbourne. Would you be willing to show us around? I hope I'm not being too presumptious. Please do not feel obligated!

Margie

Carol,

We did have a hop on hop off bus until recently but it has stopped as the powers that be felt it was too dangerous for passengers with our overhead tram wires.

Our trams are probably what you call "streetcars".

We do have what we call "the city circle tram" which is completely free and runs right around the city perimeter where you can get on and off. Probably nearly as good as the hop on hop off buses but first you need to get from the ship into the city.

From the pier, there is a tram or light rail that runs right into the heart of the city. You will need to have some aussie money to board it as you put the money into a machine on the tram. If you can get some coins all the better. You need about $2Aud per person depending on how far you are going.

This tram goes right down Bourke Street and from there you can visit most of our shops. Melbourne is known as the "fashion" centre of Australia and people from interstate come here to shop. If you are interested in fashion and shopping we have a lot of outlets etc. but they are not in the centre of Melbourne but about 2 miles out in a suburb called Richmond. You can easily catch a tram to Richmond from the city and it would take about 10 minutes to get there.

Jennie

Scampi,

Melbourne Zoo is supposed to be one of the three best in the world and it is a lovely place to visit as it is set in huge parklands and all the animals are in their natural habitat and not behind cages.

To get there from the city it is very easy and doesn't take that long. A tram along Elizabeth Street going to West Coburg takes you there. Elizabeth Street is in the heart of the city and to get there from the ship just take the light rail which I explained to Carol in my post above. Get off the tram at the corner of Elizabeth and Bourke Street, ask anyone and they will tell you when to get off and then just catch the tram to the Zoo there.

I would plan to go to the Zoo first because you could spend more time than you think there. Of course a taxi from the ship would be the easiest and would not cost you much more than $20AUD. That way you would be there much quicker than going by the two trams.

You could then catch the tram back to the city from the zoo and walk to the Yarra river to do the boatcruise. The boat cruise is also in the centre of the city. You could walk back to the ship from there but it is about 2.5 miles and it would take quite a time. It would be too long if it is hot and as you are coming in January it could be hot, warm or cold!! We are having strange weather this year and so far it has been cold, with only two warm days. Our cold is probably not what you call cold, around 19C which is 68F.

I would catch the light rail back to the ship from the river and would plan to leave around 4pm as traffic starts building up then and you need to be on board at 5.30pm. If you got back to the ship early I would walk around Port Melbourne as there is a lot to see there and it is very historic. Hope this helps.

Jennie

Margie,

I would be privileged to show you around our lovely city. Please post your email address and I will get in touch with you. As you will be in Melbourne on a Wednesday. the Vic Market won't be selling any vegetables as it is not a normal market day but all the other stalls will be open.

If you have a list of sights you would like to see, let me know and we can plan the day accordingly. What ship will you be on?

Jennie

Thanks everyone for the valuable information.

Jennie, thank you very much for all the information you provided and for your generous offer to show us around your lovely city the afternoon of Feb 13. Yes, yes, yes, we accept your very, very warm, generous, and gracious offer.

WOW. We are very exited about this!!!!!

Please let me know how we should arrange our meeting. Do you think we should meet at the completion of the Aboriginal Hertiage Walk (around 1 o'clock) which, I belive, ends at the Melbourne Museum? We could have a quick lunch together; and, then, your could show Melbourne to us. We will be more than happy to work out details that fit into your schedule. My email address is: judy.regan@comcast.net.

Again, thank you very much!!!!

Aussie Gal:

Thank you so much for the information on how to get to the Melbourne Zoo and also how to get to the Yarra river for the boatcruise. I agree that going by taxi to the zoo seems like the fastest method (and has less risk of our getting lost). Then depending on time, we might be able to come back by tram/light rail as you suggested. Really appreciated your expertise! :) Scampi (Santa)

• 3 weeks later...
Margie,

I would be privileged to show you around our lovely city. Please post your email address and I will get in touch with you. As you will be in Melbourne on a Wednesday. the Vic Market won't be selling any vegetables as it is not a normal market day but all the other stalls will be open.

If you have a list of sights you would like to see, let me know and we can plan the day accordingly. What ship will you be on?

Jennie

Jennie-

Unfortunately, I did not see your offer until December 05 and we have arleady booked a an aboriginal and cultural tour of Melbourne. Thanks for your offer. I would have loved to meet you. You are so knowledgable and proud of your city. My e-mail is exal732@aol.com We Booked with Meridien Tours.

• 4 weeks later...

Jennie,

We will be in Melbourne, on Sunday Feb. 13, 2005 (we are on the Feb 11 sailing of the Sapphire). Wondering what might be open, since it is a Sunday? We have booked the afternoon Puffing Billy Train, but needs some help for the morning hours.

My e-mail address is cruzlady@pacbell.net. Happy New Year and thanks for the help.

Lynn

Archived