Just completed Transatlantic crossing in Wind Star

Simonthesailor

Not much written about Wind Star (the ship) lately so I will write a few words about our recent crossing from Lisbon to Barbados.

The vessel was 'full' with 127 PAX - that is all rooms occupied as some had single occupancy.

Easy to board at Lisbon as pier close to subway station. And a nearby convenience store where one can pick up excellent Portuguese wines (3, supposedly, for a double room for 13 days - but who checks?!)

Ship did not feel crowded. Phillipe (French) the Voyage Leader was amusing and good company. Several activities organized each day. Quizzes were popular with us and we won with Canadian team member's huge help several times - cocktails, a bottle of wine etc. much appreciated. Pirates of Caribbean movies were shown in the lounge 3 times - with pop corn. Otherwise good on board dvd library and flat screen tv in rooms worked well.

All soft drinks free including coke, iced tea etc. Room service excellent with good menu although little used by us. Others had breakfast daily in their room for example.

Food was always good and seemed individually prepared and much better than banqueting style food in big ships.

one special mid voyage dinner was put on with free wine which as appreciated as was dinner with Chief Officer (in our case) as returning cruisers also with copious wine. To Europeans from UK bar prices were high but probably normal to those majority from North America who were onboard.

The outside BBq was outstanding with a range of excellent choices - plentiful lobster, ribs, fish & so on. Eating under the stars magnificent!

The ship itself looks a bit tied externally but fine inside. The talk decks before the bridge are in very poor condition and painted surfaces do not look too good. Probably not something to concern most people.

Bridge team always friendly and welcoming during our frequent visits and one of many highlights of our time onboard.

The crew otherwise were excellent and the high crew/passenger ratio results in amazing attention to almost every need.

Nicola from the Pursers Office organized a challenging Scavenger hunt which lasted daily through the cruise/crossing with a very good prize.

The vessel arrive a few hours early enabling us to enjoy landfall in day light rather than while asleep at 0500!

The actual amount of sailing was very little with sails rarely unfurled very much although they must have slightly reduced fuel use and reduced rolling (a little!)

Wine tasting was fun and of he 7!of us attending 2 won free bottles of wine as well! Once again is add to the feeling of generosity in terms of gifts and prizes for passengers.

So, overall a very enjoyable experience, much better food than we have had in Star Clipper for example but much more expensive drinks. I believe the bar would make them more profit if they reduced price somewhat and thereby increase turnover considerably. As for sailing, frankly the sails are more for decorative and ambiance material than anything else. You do get mor sailing in Star Clippers! Wind Star has even 'stolen' the sail way music from Star Vlippers as well as the crew song for the ships concert - "Sailing".

As we sail around the Caribbean we will be waving to Wind Star and having happy recollections!

(Apologies for typos - writing this on a rocking boat with poor wifi!)

So happy you enjoyed your crossing with WS. We love them have done the Atlantic both ways and the Pacific over to Tahiti. I have been sailing with WS since 1999 and they have always had 1492 music, I remember my first time hearing it very well. I am not sure who used it first WS or Star Clipper, who cares it is all about the experience. Happy Sailing.

• 2 months later...