Two hours in NYC Pre Cruise

Hi everyone!

We are cruising out of Manhattan in a couple of weeks. We have never been to NYC. We were hoping to spend a day or two beforehand, but our schedule doesn't allow it this time. We're spending the night beforehand in New Jersey and will take a shuttle to the pier the morning of our cruise. We're thinking that we might like to drop our bags with the porters and then spend an hour or two in the city before checking in. . . is this possible/doable? What is close to the pier that might be doable in a short time frame? Does NOT have to be a big tourist destination. . . could be as simple as fresh bagels or pizza before we board. We have two young kids, would Central Park zoo be doable at all? It will be a Saturday morning

Thanks!

What time do you expect to get to the pier to drop off your bags? What time do you sail (must be checked in 90 minutes ahead)? What day of the week? How old are the kids?

Intrepid Museum and Times Square are near the Cruiseport.

Just to add to what's been said, porters are at MCT's cruise terminal & ready to check luggage (properly tagged) as early as 8 am upstairs for departure on level 2 (most will be handling disembarking pax's luggage downstairs)

Check & confirm what's the earliest time your "shuttle service" can pick your party & drop you off curbside, allow extra time if this is a weekday due to the morning commuter's traffic into and out of Manhattan.

A friendly reminder to keep your important travel documents, medications, electronics and valuables with you at all times but check the rest of them with the porter.

Central Park is doable, & best if on a weekend, but I'm not sure if you really want to do that on a weekday with all the cross-town, midday traffic in rushing to get back to the cruise terminal to go thru security (should be quick as most would've boarded by 1 pm) and check-in (finish all your online check-in ahead & have your e/Docs ready upon returning to the pier.) Purchase your admission tickets ahead to save yourself a few minutes.

There are licensed food cart vendors on many busy street corners on weekday morning selling bagels, pastries, coffee & other typical breakfast items ... unless you are on a mission to find a specific one. Pizza places are all over town but most won't until 11 am - feel free to sample one as a quick bite until you get onto the ship, although you might be "late" for lunch services if it is close to sailing time, due to the mandatory muster/safety drills.

The Intrepid Musuem (opens at 10 am) is right next to Pier 88 where cruise ships are docked and an easy 10 minutes walk but might not be a good match for young children, or, just catch a taxi for a few short city blocks ride over to Times Square & just explore Broadway. Other ideas is to checkout the Chelsa Market (indoor food marketplace & dining, open early) and the elevated High Line (Park).

Ohhhh I love the idea of the HighLine Park! Once you’re up there, no worry about crossing streets or vehicles. You get a wonderful view of the city. Plus you can’t really get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Highline is great ,there is nothing like it .Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the tips! I confirmed that the shuttle can have us there as early as 8:30 am. It will be a Saturday morning. We're currently scheduled to arrive at the ship for check-in in between 10:30 and 11, but I may be able to adjust that.

It would be fun to see Times Square. Sounds like the Zoo may not be doable if we keep to our 10:30-11:00 time frame for the ship. Any other tips?

Also, stupid question. . . but is it pretty easy to grab a taxi from the pier?

The problem with getting a taxi from the pier at that time of the morning is that you'll be competing with the disembarking passengers from the previous cruise.

There can be a wait to get a taxi as a result.

I don't see the Highline as a good option with young children. They'll be bored in a minute.

Thanks for the tips! I confirmed that the shuttle can have us there as early as 8:30 am. It will be a Saturday morning. We're currently scheduled to arrive at the ship for check-in in between 10:30 and 11, but I may be able to adjust that.

It would be fun to see Times Square. Sounds like the Zoo may not be doable if we keep to our 10:30-11:00 time frame for the ship. Any other tips?

Also, stupid question. . . but is it pretty easy to grab a taxi from the pier?

I don’t know if you have to check in at a certain time, I know NCL doesn’t enforce it, just be onboard no later than 1 1/2 hours before sail time.

Highline has some great views and exposure to the city. Form the north end over the Long Island Railroad yard (West Side Yard) you may even catch a glimpse of your the Intrepid and your ship. Costs $0 http://www.thehighline.org/

Central Park Zoo is $18 for an adult includes the main zoo, children's zoo (they are physically separate but not far) and one admission to the 4D Theater https://centralparkzoo.com/