Where did you buy your Recommended Antarctica Gear?

notjaded

We are now planning our purchases for our January Antarctica trip. We have reviewed the Seabourn recommended packing list, and also websites from Patagonia/Northface/Nordstrom. We are now leaning towards purchasing the package from Shiptoshoretraveler.com, which is Seabourn's partner.

Other than for their parkas and boots, has anyone used ShiptoShoreTraveler to supply their garment needs? If so, were you pleased with the service and products?

If you used another sole-source vender, from whom did you order?

Many thanks!

Edited by notjaded

Other than renting the boots, I just took my regular ski gear. Padded ski pants, ski undershirt and fleece and woolly socks. I did take my thermal undergarments but the weather was warm enough that they were not needed. I also took waterproof overpants which I strongly recommend as landings are usually 'wet'. I got them at our local outdoor store here in Sedona (also used them on the Alaska cruise). Also, do take waterproof gloves.

Yes, it is the Antarctic but it is also their summer. So it is unlikely to be any colder than most ski resorts in the USA and probably a bit warmer. Obviously if you are not a skier then this doesn't help too much. What I am really saying is no need to overdo the cold weather gear.

My wife and I used Ship to Shore and were very pleased. However, we are not skiers and

living in Vegas do not have cold weather clothes It was convenient not having to shop and

having all your cold weather clothes arrive in your stateroom.

My wife and I used Ship to Shore and were very pleased. However, we are not skiers and

living in Vegas do not have cold weather clothes It was convenient not having to shop and

having all your cold weather clothes arrive in your stateroom.

Thanks for your response. How did the sizing run on the clothes you ordered?

Other than renting the boots, I just took my regular ski gear. Padded ski pants, ski undershirt and fleece and woolly socks. I did take my thermal undergarments but the weather was warm enough that they were not needed. I also took waterproof overpants which I strongly recommend as landings are usually 'wet'. I got them at our local outdoor store here in Sedona (also used them on the Alaska cruise). Also, do take waterproof gloves.

Yes, it is the Antarctic but it is also their summer. So it is unlikely to be any colder than most ski resorts in the USA and probably a bit warmer. Obviously if you are not a skier then this doesn't help too much. What I am really saying is no need to overdo the cold weather gear.

Thanks for your insights!

While we are skiers, we got outer pants from a local retailer and I got mine from Costco - quite reasonably priced - as we do not want to have our real ski pants get penguin poop on them. Like Roxburgh, we will simply rent the boots and bring everything else.

I wore the outer pants over my ski ones which were tucked into my boots. So no risk of penguin poop! I found the ski pants very handy on board ship as you do spend quite a bit of time on deck viewing the scenery and the wildlife.

We just took our regular winter clothes.

Layering is important. Here is a post I did on my blog about packing for Antartica.

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2008/11/packing-for-antarctica.html

The ship we were on supplied boots. But they were simply Wellington's. You can get a pair inexpensively at places like WalMart. You just need heavy socks to wear in them.

We sailed Crystal but used Ship To Shore and ordered a bunch of items and we were pleased with everything. They are also used by Silversea.

We found that the size descriptions were accurate.

I did call them and e mail them with questions.

Since we don't need boots where we live but needed boots for the voyage we did rent them. They suggested wearing two sets of socks which we did and ordering them based on our sports shoe size which for my wife is a slightly larger size then for dress shoes.

Keith

Useful info. Just a few days ago we made a deposit on a Quest cruise, Miami to BA via Antarctica in November, 2018. So after 4 years, we will return to Seabourn, and experience Antarctica for the first time. Time for me to start collecting info for the preparation.