Formal Dress Question

SMA9497

After looking into the regulations extensively my husband, an honorably discharged, disabled, retired, army Veteran will be wearing his ribbons on a suit jacket instead of his Class As. It's much less to pack and still acceptable. It's nice to see people in uniform though it is still important to follow regulations, in our opinion.

Something we found out is that if the military gets wind of someone in uniform at an event they aren't supposed to be, wearing a uniform they're not supposed to be, or in uniform and acting disrespectfully and reflecting poorly on the uniform, they have, can, and will reinstate the person, demote them, then retire them again all within a couple of days. This is something we found out while research and confirmed with Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis. So while it is rare, there is the possibility of being "caught" doing something you're not supposed to do per regs and being punished for it. Something we certainly don't want to risk.

Something we found out is that if the military gets wind of someone in uniform at an event they aren't supposed to be, wearing a uniform they're not supposed to be, or in uniform and acting disrespectfully and reflecting poorly on the uniform, they have, can, and will reinstate the person, demote them, then retire them again all within a couple of days. This is something we found out while research and confirmed with Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis. So while it is rare, there is the possibility of being "caught" doing something you're not supposed to do per regs and being punished for it. Something we certainly don't want to risk.

While that might, in actuality, be possible, I would doubt very seriously, if it would be either feasible or practical in any reasonable sense. If someone at Jefferson Barracks or any other location could come up with facts backing up such an allegation, I would, purely out of curiosity love to see citations showing that to be a fact. I do know that as of some time last year (2017) I was curious enough (and being retired had enough spare time to research it :D ) to look up what the ARs (Army Regulations) said about such wear by retired Army military personnel. I did discover that AR 670-5, the Army reg on uniform wear, said that such wear by retired personnel was authorized only if the social activity involved had some connection to a military function. (That's a paraphrase as I didn't write down the actual page and paragraph citation as I should have. and thus can't produce it right now.) I will say that having made the claim as to what the appropriate Army Reg. said, I will go research it and provide the citation of necessary. That will teach me to never again fail to make a record to back up what I say in the future. ;p ;p

Anyway, that's what the regs say as regards the Army, what other services say, I do not know.

Isn't it interesting the discussions we get into here? :confused:

Tom

This has been an interesting discussion. With today’s use of social media and cameras on phones there is a lot of documentation that can occur without your knowledge. A friend would not be trying to “out” you but I can easily amagine someone taking a picture and posting it. Followed by someone forwarding it on, especially if one of us isn’t looking exactly professional due to hair/facial hair/beard. Followed by someone else asking questions. Heck, there are police departmenets that patrol YouTube and Facebook.

Since 2001 and increased security concerns, the regs have changed especially with security concerns.

V/r

-Holly

Who leaves the Dress Mess hanging in the closet

I just wear my service medals and a cumberbund - oh and my Uk veterans badge... to get into any mess undress stuff - I'd first have to buy some as i'm slightly different shape to what i was over 15 years ago...