cell service on land - Verizon

countingmomma

Verizon service was pretty good for our land portion of the cruise as well. Inside Denali park the cell reception drops a bit. But at the major places on land, Verizon was just great with 4G grade service. At sea is at sea however. Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan ports of call all had service in town.

My inlaws that traveled with us have some other phone company and it was not nearly as good coverage.

We didn't have any issues with cell service and we have Verizon too. In fact, the kids called Grandma and Grandpa back home in Minnesota while we were at Mendenhall Glacier, just to say "Grandma! I see a glacier!" We had service going in and out of port too.

• 2 weeks later...

We had good coverage with Verizon in the larger ports (Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka), not so much in smaller places (Wrangell, Haines, Icy Strait Point). It was nice for me to be forced to shut off:hearteyes:

We did not opt for internet on the ship, and for the most part I didn't read my work emails - just posted a couple photos on facebook now and then and caught up afterwards.

There were ports where we could use the telephone but no data (including texting), which was sort of odd, but oh well. We survived just fine without it. (though we REALLY needed to find one of the 2-3 spots at Icy Strait Point where we had coverage to email my in-laws and ask them to get some extra fuel for us as we flew home from Alaska straight into Hurricane Florence prep :o)

• 2 months later...

This is really good news, I was just debating on if I'd need to purchase a wifi package, but if I can check mail briefly at each port, that's enough for me.  I'm on vacation after all!  I have the Princess 250 free Elite minutes as well, so that's more than I could need for a 7 day cruise.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:14 AM, Hoyaheel said:

We had good coverage with Verizon in the larger ports (Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka), not so much in smaller places (Wrangell, Haines, Icy Strait Point). It was nice for me to be forced to shut off:hearteyes:

We did not opt for internet on the ship, and for the most part I didn't read my work emails - just posted a couple photos on facebook now and then and caught up afterwards.

There were ports where we could use the telephone but no data (including texting), which was sort of odd, but oh well. We survived just fine without it. (though we REALLY needed to find one of the 2-3 spots at Icy Strait Point where we had coverage to email my in-laws and ask them to get some extra fuel for us as we flew home from Alaska straight into Hurricane Florence prep 🐵

I had the same experience - great in the major ports (in Juneau, it was even fine when visiting Mendenhall Glacier); little or no data service in the minor ports (I didn't try calling). There were places to get free wifi in most ports.