Excited about the Sapphire Princess

Bently57

We sailed the Sapphire Princess for an Alaska cruise in 2012, and there's a "secret" to the dining rooms that we didn't figure out until about the end of our cruise. It's oddly difficult to explain, but here goes:

The MDR on 6/aft is used for TD early and late, and "nothing else". There's basically no need to go there unless your cruise card says to do so.

The MDRs on 6/mid and 5/mid are "split into halves", so instead of two MDRs, I think of it as four half-sized MDRs. Each MDR has its own decor. All five (four mid, one aft) serve the same menu as each other on any given night, so if you're a menu-reader, you don't need to run all around the ship comparing; they should be the same.

However, the four mid-ship MDRs each have a "signature themed dish". It's not on the menu, so you have to ask what it is, but (at least back then) it never changes, so once you've learned what it is, it'll be the same "forever". One of those four mid-ship MDRs will be used for additional early TD seating, so if you love their dish, you'll have to wait until 7:30 to get it. The other three are (or were) Anytime Dining all night long.

We sailed on Sapphire in 2011, the California Coastal cruise. I loved the ship and the staff! I was 14.5 weeks pregnant at the time (they were aware!), and it seemed the waiter/asst. made sure to go above and beyond to make sure I had the "right" food to eat (certain foods are a no-no for pregnancy). The only time my husband had to leave the table early (due to a tad bit of motion sickness/too much alcohol!), they made sure to package his dinner and send to the room (w/o us asking). I also had a pleasant experience with the Spa (didn't try to get sold a bunch of products after either).

All in all, it was an amazing cruise! I would not hesitate to sail on the Sapphire again!

I have previously sailed on Diamond & have 50 days booked on Sapphire in October-November 2018.

As others have said these two sister ships that had there names swapped in the building yard due to a fire, were built by Mitsubishi in Nagasaki & are slightly larger than all other Grand class & sub class vessels. Being 1 foot longer & 5 feet wider in hull beam - the gross tonnage [volume measurement] is larger than all others in the class. At 115,875 gt Diamond & Sapphire are 8,358gt larger than Grand & 2,314gt larger than Crown, Emerald & Ruby. They do not have the extra deck that the later 4 have. Consequently these two ships have larger gt/pax than all others in the Grand class.

I have previously sailed on Diamond & have 50 days booked on Sapphire in October-November 2018.

As others have said these two sister ships that had there names swapped in the building yard due to a fire, were built by Mitsubishi in Nagasaki & are slightly larger than all other Grand class & sub class vessels. Being 1 foot longer & 5 feet wider in hull beam - the gross tonnage [volume measurement] is larger than all others in the class. At 115,875 gt Diamond & Sapphire are 8,358gt larger than Grand & 2,314gt larger than Crown, Emerald & Ruby. They do not have the extra deck that the later 4 have. Consequently these two ships have larger gt/pax than all others in the Grand class.

Good information there mate, am on Sapphire x 2 next year. I will re measure and weigh her for you, in case she has shrunk or got bigger.:halo::p

Hi Uncle Les - Also onboard Sapphire next year with btb 9th Oct to 28th Nov.

Maybe you should stay in UK a bit longer & then cruise back to Singapore.

John

Hi John, no worries mate, only if I win the Lotto, then I could get the 'Frank Sinatra Suite' on Sapphire, grand piano, butler and the whole kitchen sink.:halo:

Going over for a niece's wedding in the Cotswolds and of course a few cruises as well, booked Sapphire to fill in the void after the Adonia dramas - sale of ship - cancellation of cruises I was booked on. 3 cruises - bit of driving around - way to go.:cool:

My brother in law/sister in law embark Sapphire in Singapore in March to Southampton. Their cruise is full. Loads of Aussies on it.

I remember seeing them side by side under construction in the Mitsubishi yards as we sailed into Nagasaki on the old Regal Princess in 2002. At the time, I wondered if I would ever get to sail on one. Now, I've done three cruises on the Diamond and two on the Sapphire.

The only thing that haunted me was the thought they might run out of beer. ;)

Good one I don’t see that one coming...:):):)

Tony

Good to read all the positives about the Sapphire. We are booked on her for our first Princess cruise (previously been with RCCI & NCL) and are very excited about it.

We are on the Scandinavia sailing for Whitsun half-term holidays, so I think the covered pool might be very busy!

We love the Sapphire too!

We completed the repositioning cruise across from LA to Asia in April 2014 (the "has anybody seen the land yet?!" cruise) and experienced the transformation for the Asian market first hand. Particularly hard for the crew to learn a new Language and train the new staff too, whilst keeping us all entertained, fed and watered.

We are fortunate enough to have 4 cruises booked on Sapphire over the next 12 months and sincerely hope that the intimate feel of the MDR's has not been lost. Never had a queue yet for evening dinner, so I hope the run continues.

I am sure all who sail on the Sapphire when she visits Europe, will have a fabulous time. We are certainly looking forward to our next trips:D

I have been on the Sapphire twice - once on a short coastal from L.A. to Victoria/Vancouver, and once on a week long California Coastal. It is definitely one of my favorite Princess ships. Loved the four smaller themed MDR. Each one seemed like a specialty restaurant, and the Sapphire is one of the few older ships that has an Alfredo's Pizzeria, similar to the newer Royal, Regal, and Majestic. Alfredo's pizza is definitely better than the poolside pizza, and a great complimentary addition to the International Cafe.

I am excited if it's true that the Sapphire will have new mattresses in March. That's important to us and we are doing a Baltic cruise this summer. I looked at the CC refurbishment thread and saw "routine" for the Saphhire March 2018. Does that include mattresses/bedding??

• 3 weeks later...

Sailed Sapphire on Oct 19 and posted a review with dozens of pics. Loved the food and liked the decor, would give it 4 stars if there was no storm diversion and lunch situation on last day.

All the public space well maintained, never felt crowded in any lounge/bar/restaurant (except piazza) - that would make a longer Norwegian cruise comfortable as everyone will stay indoors. Liked the intimacy ad variation in design themes of the 5 smaller MDRs.

Gym and spa need the upgrades badly, boutiques were geared towards Chinese/Taiwanese markets so they also need the upgrade. On-demand system is there but it was down three times on five nights. Hope it'll get even better after dry dock!

Good to read all the positives about the Sapphire. We are booked on her for our first Princess cruise (previously been with RCCI & NCL) and are very excited about it.

We are on the Scandinavia sailing for Whitsun half-term holidays, so I think the covered pool might be very busy!

Are you on 26 May Scandinavia ex Southampton? ;)

I am excited if it's true that the Sapphire will have new mattresses in March. That's important to us and we are doing a Baltic cruise this summer. I looked at the CC refurbishment thread and saw "routine" for the Saphhire March 2018. Does that include mattresses/bedding??

I read on the Princess site that Sapphire will receive the 'new Princess mattresses' during her March refurb in Singapore.;p

Hi Chankahon

Thank you for your review which I found very informative. You say that you included many pics but there aren't any with the review. Can you provide a link to the pics please.

Thank you:)

Lynne

Hi Lynne, all review photos on Cruise Critic have been hidden from public view for unknown reason...here's my raw Google Photos album that covers the entire trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iARQFPX6bbu6pxMp2

I have 71 photos in the review...hope they get it fixed soon.

Thank you so much Chankahon. I really enjoyed your photos. It felt as though I was taking the whole journey with you. Loved the little boy on the bridge in Danang.

Thanks again for sharing. :)

Lynne

You're welcome! That album really captures every bit of my trip as that's all the photos I have :') It overall was a good cruising experience, but I wished we could do a bit more traveling/sightseeing on land.