Inside/Sideways Cabin

KiMnEvan

A regular Inside looks the way Princess shows in pictures and floor diagrams. A Sideways has the bed facing fwd-aft (as they do in Balcony cabins). The door enters more or less into the middle of the room and the bed will be one way and the desk the other. You cross the room between the bed and desk and then go around behind the desk to access closet area and bathroom. You get a larger desk area and more closet space as I recall. If there is a difference, I am talking about new builds versus Crown Class (see Riviera decks). I have not measured with a tape, but there seems to be unanimous consent they are slightly larger. I think they are great and the only drawback is that door opening directly into the bedroom area.

The regular Insides feature a small entrance area and you immediately turn left or right for closet and bathroom. They have advantage of being less intrusive when door is opened and are handy if one person comes in later at night after other person already gone to bed.

Thanks everyone I got an email that said it was an upgrade!

Princess doesn't consider a move to a regular Inside or a sideways Inside from the opposite as an upgrade or downgrade. It's all about the cabin category (IF thru IA). If you move up a cabin category, or have a GTY IF or GTY IE and get assigned an IB or IA, then it is one type of upgrade. Category is all about location (deck, fore/aft) and not the orientation.

Did you check if it is a cabin for 2 or 4? You probably don't want the bunk beds hanging on the walls. If it's for 4, you might want to see if one for only 2 people is still available. We got assigned from a GTY booking to an IA late one cruise and had no chance to move before sailing. We managed okay for 5 nights, but I wouldn't want it again.

Thanks! I just booked an inside GTY and got a notice of upgrade to C317/IB. I am new to the Princess line and wasn't sure of all the upgrade stuff. Its going to be hard going from an ocean view or balcony to an inside so I guess it really doesn't matter because I downgraded with the room from the start LOL. I have cruised RCCL,Disney,Carnival,& MSC and since this is my first Princess Cruise I wanted to go the most inexpensive way to test the waters!

They are great. Much more room and a huge closet area.

Only downside is that when the door opens it looks directly to the beds. Not a problem for me, but some people don't like it.

Nice upgrade, as the sideways cabins are usually the first to be booked.

Thanks! I guess I was thinking an upgrade would be a inside to maybe an ocean view but I see that the Regal doesn't have standard ocean view. Either way it was a nice gesture.

They are great. Much more room and a huge closet area.

Only downside is that when the door opens it looks directly to the beds. Not a problem for me, but some people don't like it.

Nice upgrade, as the sideways cabins are usually the first to be booked.

Thanks! I just booked an inside GTY and got a notice of upgrade to C317/IB. I am new to the Princess line and wasn't sure of all the upgrade stuff. Its going to be hard going from an ocean view or balcony to an inside so I guess it really doesn't matter because I downgraded with the room from the start LOL. I have cruised RCCL,Disney,Carnival,& MSC and since this is my first Princess Cruise I wanted to go the most inexpensive way to test the waters!

Okay, so that cabin is what I warned. And this can happen with GTY assignments, especially late. You didn't say when sailing, but if you can contact Princess and see if anything else to swap to because that cabin holds up to 4 people and that means a bunk bed is hanging on the wall on either side of the bed. Not much issue if you do Twin configuration but not so great with a Queen. They may rattle some at night (which can often be fixed). But assuming you are two people, try and get out of that one to one allowing only 2 people, so no beds on the wall.

OMg.... that's my biggest pep peeve I can not do those beds on the wall it makes for the room to look smaller. I didn't even check I sure hope not its room C317.

Princess doesn't consider a move to a regular Inside or a sideways Inside from the opposite as an upgrade or downgrade. It's all about the cabin category (IF thru IA). If you move up a cabin category, or have a GTY IF or GTY IE and get assigned an IB or IA, then it is one type of upgrade. Category is all about location (deck, fore/aft) and not the orientation.

Did you check if it is a cabin for 2 or 4? You probably don't want the bunk beds hanging on the walls. If it's for 4, you might want to see if one for only 2 people is still available. We got assigned from a GTY booking to an IA late one cruise and had no chance to move before sailing. We managed okay for 5 nights, but I wouldn't want it again.

OMg its just the 2 of us and we would have the room twin but I cant do those beds on both side of the walls! Thanks so much we sail in December

Okay, so that cabin is what I warned. And this can happen with GTY assignments, especially late. You didn't say when sailing, but if you can contact Princess and see if anything else to swap to because that cabin holds up to 4 people and that means a bunk bed is hanging on the wall on either side of the bed. Not much issue if you do Twin configuration but not so great with a Queen. They may rattle some at night (which can often be fixed). But assuming you are two people, try and get out of that one to one allowing only 2 people, so no beds on the wall.

OMg its just the 2 of us and we would have the room twin but I cant do those beds on both side of the walls! Thanks so much we sail in December

I don’t know what ship you’re on but if it’s the Royal or Regal Princess cabin C317 is for 4 passengers and it will have those beds on both side of the walls. Sorry.

Tony

Thanks! Its on the Regal and I emailed them that I didn't want that upgrade so we shall SEA:)

I don’t know what ship you’re on but if it’s the Royal or Regal Princess cabin C317 is for 4 passengers and it will have those beds on both side of the walls. Sorry.

Tony

There is a good video of this type of 'sideways' cabin on youtube. (by Scott Singer)

From that, they do see a bit more roomy... but as mentioned, you lose that little entryway. The bathroom is situated differently.

If this is supposed to be an upgrade because it is mid-ship... then you could still possibly take the upgrade but request another cabin in that so-called upgraded category that has Max (2) passengers.

You can look at deck plans that show the cabins that will take 3 or 4, with a red circle/dot...

Or you can act like you are making a booking for 3 or 4, and see which cabins then do NOT show up as available.

Happy Sailing!

Thanks!

There is a good video of this type of 'sideways' cabin on youtube. (by Scott Singer)

From that, they do see a bit more roomy... but as mentioned, you lose that little entryway. The bathroom is situated differently.

If this is supposed to be an upgrade because it is mid-ship... then you could still possibly take the upgrade but request another cabin in that so-called upgraded category that has Max (2) passengers.

You can look at deck plans that show the cabins that will take 3 or 4, with a red circle/dot...

Or you can act like you are making a booking for 3 or 4, and see which cabins then do NOT show up as available.

Happy Sailing!

Just in case this helps.... I just looked and noted these cabins.

Regal Princess...

Inside Cabins Max(2) on Caribe 10, mid-ship

Caribe: C322 - C335, C405 - C419 (avoid C316- C317, C424-C431)

Inside Cabins Max(2) on Dolphin Deck 9, mid-ship

D314 - D315, D426 - D427 (avoid D430 and D431)

Inside Cabins Max(2) on Emerald Deck 8, mid-ship

E418 - E431 (avoid E434 and E435)

Edited by Wishing on a star

OMg.... that's my biggest pep peeve I can not do those beds on the wall it makes for the room to look smaller. I didn't even check I sure hope not its room C317.

If you have a guarantee, and are assigned a cabin ....

...you can call princess and try to move to another available cabin in the same category.

I have had good success with this.

I was recently assigned a sideways inside booked on a guarantee on the Royal. I liked the configuration and location but yesterday I discovered it was a 4 bed unit. Today prices are down, so I upgraded to an obstructed balcony for about $130 more each. As it was new bookings only, there was a problem concerning the deposit refund, but it was resolved to my satisfaction. I preferred the old deck plans that clearly indicated which cabins were for more than 2 occupancy and I would have caught it within the 24 hour refusal time.