Cannes Rental Car Questions

Quilting_Cruiser

• 4 weeks later...

I really appreciate this thread. But it is long. :) I am on the Epic 10/29 an interested in a car rental for some of the listed sites. Will I be involved in the traffic and parking problems that are listed with this Friday port stop in November?

I understand there is nearby car rentals and would just like a walkable option? What would be the recommendation for company? I don't want to be involved in having to get a cab, like a recent above post.

Somebody asked about filling the gas ...and our experience in Europe is similar to what happens in North America. They generally expect you to return the car with the same amount of gas (or Diesel) as when you picked it up. In Cannes, there are some gas stations just as you enter the city. Some gas stations have automatic pumps which work with Chip/PIN cards...and may or may not function with a US issued Chip/Signature card. Some US issued ATM cards will actually work in these pumps...if you input your PIN. If its during normal business hours, most stations are open inside with some staff. A credit card that might not work at the pump will generally be OK if you use it with an attendant inside. And cash (Euros) can always be used during regular business hours. Most cruisers do not have to deal with trying to fill a car late at night....but this can be an issue with some US credit cards . Many European gas stations will work 24/7.....but after hours you must have a credit card that works at the pump. Sometimes the pumps will also take Euro''s....but do not give change. So you must know how many Euros worth of gas or diesel you need before you pay.

And finally, many European rental cars are Diesel and use Diesel fuel. If you do have a Diesel,,,,make sure you fill it with Diesel....and if you have gas...make sure you fill with gas.

Hank

Hi, all! I'm back from my trip and wanted to thank Hiltner. marazul, and hitherandyon for the great information and encouragement! I had a wonderful time. I rented from Avis (about a 30-minute walk from the port--a lovely walk, BTW), and they were very helpful. I intended to drive to Tourettes-sur-Loop and then St. Paul en Vence, but spent my day in Tourettes-sur-Loop! It's a wonderful little village that fully captured my interest and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I believe I was the only tourist in town! Or, at least it felt like it! I ordered a couple items from a cute little patisserie and the young woman who helped me was quite self-conscious about speaking English, so I placed my order in French and stumbled through the conversation. I was happy my high school French from 40 years ago came through for me! LOL.

The drive was easy because of the GPS. I wouldn't have considered trying that without it since I travel solo and can't look at a map to navigate. For those renting, know that the toll on the highway is E3, so be prepared. I didn't have any change, but was happy there was the option to pay with a card. It was quick and easy.

Thanks again for all the help and information!

I really appreciate this thread. But it is long. :) I am on the Epic 10/29 an interested in a car rental for some of the listed sites. Will I be involved in the traffic and parking problems that are listed with this Friday port stop in November?

I understand there is nearby car rentals and would just like a walkable option? What would be the recommendation for company? I don't want to be involved in having to get a cab, like a recent above post.

I asked some of the same questions, BQ, as I read the post about how busy a Friday would be. But, I was assured (by marazul, I believe) that I would be there after the busy season, and he or she was correct. There was traffic, but no issues that caused any concern. Be prepared that pedestrians will step out in front of you so watch the sides o the roads, especially when you're going along slowly. :)

I rented from Avis, which was a bout a 30-minute walk from the port. It could be done faster than that, but I was walking slowly because eight days walking on the cobblestones in Rome had my knees begging for a slower pace. :)

Have a great time!

Somebody asked about filling the gas ...and our experience in Europe is similar to what happens in North America. They generally expect you to return the car with the same amount of gas (or Diesel) as when you picked it up. In Cannes, there are some gas stations just as you enter the city. Some gas stations have automatic pumps which work with Chip/PIN cards...and may or may not function with a US issued Chip/Signature card. Some US issued ATM cards will actually work in these pumps...if you input your PIN. If its during normal business hours, most stations are open inside with some staff. A credit card that might not work at the pump will generally be OK if you use it with an attendant inside. And cash (Euros) can always be used during regular business hours. Most cruisers do not have to deal with trying to fill a car late at night....but this can be an issue with some US credit cards . Many European gas stations will work 24/7.....but after hours you must have a credit card that works at the pump. Sometimes the pumps will also take Euro''s....but do not give change. So you must know how many Euros worth of gas or diesel you need before you pay.

And finally, many European rental cars are Diesel and use Diesel fuel. If you do have a Diesel,,,,make sure you fill it with Diesel....and if you have gas...make sure you fill with gas.

Hank

I opted to not fill my car before returning it as the woman at Avis let me know what the refill charge would be. It was E14 and for me it was worth paying that to not have to find a station and fill the car.