Royal Caribbean Spa Restrictions

knon24

My SO loves to get massages and that's one thing he's really looking forward to on our RCCL honeymoon cruise. I was looking at our cruise planner and noticed that under their massages, they have the following restrictions listed:

• Open cuts or abrasions, recent operations (within 3 months), water retention, infectious skin diseases, severe sunburn, chronic or inflamed back conditions, severe varicose veins.

He's a quadriplegic and has a baclofen pump in his back. Is this going to prohibit him from getting a massage? The "chronic back conditions" concerns me. It seems kind of silly to me. They are licensed massage therapist right? My SO gets monthly massages at home, no problem. He'll be really upset if this means he can't get a massage on the ship. Has anybody had any experiences with this?

My SO loves to get massages and that's one thing he's really looking forward to on our RCCL honeymoon cruise. I was looking at our cruise planner and noticed that under their massages, they have the following restrictions listed:

• Open cuts or abrasions, recent operations (within 3 months), water retention, infectious skin diseases, severe sunburn, chronic or inflamed back conditions, severe varicose veins.

He's a quadriplegic and has a baclofen pump in his back. Is this going to prohibit him from getting a massage? The "chronic back conditions" concerns me. It seems kind of silly to me. They are licensed massage therapist right? My SO gets monthly massages at home, no problem. He'll be really upset if this means he can't get a massage on the ship. Has anybody had any experiences with this?

Spa services on all cruise lines is an outsourced contracted department and not direct employees of the cruiseline . Most Spas on cruise lines are operated by Steiner which is a European owned company. The Estheticians hired by Steiner must hold CIDESCO or equivalent certification, be qualified to use galvanic and faradic current, and also be qualified massage therapists. "Qualified" in reference to massage is not the same as being "licensed" . In addition to having a CIDESCO or equivalent certification the Estheticians are required to have a minium of 150 hours of massage experience preferrably being Swedish Massage prior to being hired by Steiner.

Though not a medical professional I'm very familiar with a Baclofen Pump. If it were me, prior to booking the message, I'd speak to Spa Services and state my concerns regarding the Baclofen pump... but than that's what I'd do. Also Spa service personal are prohibiting from lifting your freind onto the massage table. He must be able to transfer on his own or have someone such as yourself to assist.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Spa services on all cruise lines is an outsourced contracted department and not direct employees of the cruiseline . Most Spas on cruise lines are operated by Steiner which is a European owned company. The Estheticians hired by Steiner must hold CIDESCO or equivalent certification, be qualified to use galvanic and faradic current, and also be qualified massage therapists. "Qualified" in reference to massage is not the same as being "licensed" . In addition to having a CIDESCO or equivalent certification the Estheticians are required to have a minium of 150 hours of massage experience preferrably being Swedish Massage prior to being hired by Steiner.

Though not a medical professional I'm very familiar with a Baclofen Pump. If it were me, prior to booking the message, I'd speak to Spa Services and state my concerns regarding the Baclofen pump... but than that's what I'd do. Also Spa service personal are prohibiting from lifting your freind onto the massage table. He must be able to transfer on his own or have someone such as yourself to assist.

Thanks, this is very informative. We will speak to Spa Services before we book anything then. I usually assist him with transfers for his massages anyway so that will not be a problem. I wasn't really worried about the baclofen pump, to be honest. I was more worried they'll consider his quadriplegia a chronic back condition and tell him he can't get a massage because of that. But now I can see how his baclofen pump might be an issue. It's sad to me that he might not be offered the same luxuries as others because of it but I understand policies.